• Technically, yes it can

Science technically COULD stop crime. The key is to look at what causes crime. Crime is almost always caused by two factors: economic/political instability, or mental illness. If science could somehow cure mental illness, then there's one source of crime gone. Then, if science could somehow stop all sources of political and economic instability, then there would be no REASON to commit a crime either.

• It might be able to stop some kinds of crime,

But I imagine we would develop new crimes. Put it down to a combination of our high adaptability, our ingenuity and nature. The problem with trying to answer this question is that there is still a high degree of unpredictability in these endeavours... The ethical concerns around genetic engineering are quite complex, if you select for desirable traits, do you risk new health (mental and physical) threats that we just could not have anticipated?

What I think science can most usefully do, at present, is speak to criminal rehabilitation. We know the brain can be rewired, new connections and associations can be formed, through cognitive behavioural therapy, meditation and other such techniques/methods. If it's not already in place, it really ought to be. This way, at the very least, you might decrease the risk of prisoners reoffending upon release, even if you are not yet able to prevent crime altogether.

• No, I don't think so

No, I don't think science can stop crime. I think science can help us to better understand crime, perhaps how it happens and certainly how to solve a crime, but I don't see it doing much to just stop crime in general. Perhaps in the future science will develop technology to enable this vision.

• No, I don't think so.

Science most likely will not be able to stop crime. Criminals are criminals and that is what matters. Most criminals are not right in the head and are not really concerned with the consequences of their actions. Science can make it easier to catch criminals, but it will not stop crimes altogether.

• No, but it can lessen it

I don't believe that science can stop crime altogether. However, advances in scientific knowledge can suppress many crimes from happening I believe. If it becomes to easy to get caught, then criminals might think twice before they commit a crime. This would reduce the number of crimes that are committed, thanks to science.

Anonymous says2013-04-23T22:08:36.237
In my opinion science can help less people committed crimes but its doesn't mean it will stop crimes ! People do what they feel like and no science in the world can stop people from doing what they want!
fractaldreams says2013-07-12T16:47:02.383
It might not stop people from doing what they want but it can certainly change what people think they want.