• Yes it is

It already is I would assume that the other 4 would be Football, Basketball, Baseball, and Hockey. Golf and Soccer are fighting for it right now, and I would say soccer edges golf. I mean, who (aside from golf players) actually like it? Its slow paced, played only a few times a year (major touneys) and is an individual sport. Vs. Soccer, which already has a huge fanbase in the US, whether you realize it or not. There are also no less than 6 major leagues to be a fan of, including the MLS, EPL (UK), La Liga (Spain), Bundesliga (Germany), Serie A (Italy), and Endervisie (Netherlands). Add all the US fans of all these leagues, and I would reckon thats more than Golf...

• It already is

I would assume that the other 4 would be Football, Basketball, Baseball, and Hockey. Golf and Soccer are fighting for it right now, and I would say soccer edges golf. I mean, who (aside from golf players) actually like it? Its slow paced, played only a few times a year (major touneys) and is an individual sport. Vs. Soccer, which already has a huge fanbase in the US, whether you realize it or not. There are also no less than 6 major leagues to be a fan of, including the MLS, EPL (UK), La Liga (Spain), Bundesliga (Germany), Serie A (Italy), and Endervisie (Netherlands). Add all the US fans of all these leagues, and I would reckon thats more than Golf...

• I'm going to assume the other 4 are Football, Basketball, Baseball, and Hockey

Which would make what other sport #5...Lacrosse? Volleyball? (I'll give you nascar if you consider it a sport) I don't think so. And besides, most high schools already have soccer teams, even small schools. Most schools don't have Hockey teams. Soccer is definitely on the rise. If you consider the amount of fans supporting both domestic and foreign leagues (mostly UK, La Liga, and Serie A), thats a pretty big number. And just for clarification, check out these rankings:
    http://www.Therichest.Com/sports/most-popular-sports-in-america/
    http://mostpopularsports.Net/in-america
    http://www.Thetoptens.Com/best-sports-in-the-united-states/
    Those were the top 3 results when "top sports in the us" was googled (besides wikipedia).

• Yes, it could

There is a reason soccer is big on the international field. It is even a popular sport in the United States. However, the issue facing it is that it is considered a sport that children or women play, not men, and men typically play the big sports in this country. If the stigma can be overcome, and it can be, it could easily become a bigger sport.

• It Won't Become Big

Soccer will not become the fifth major sport. The sport is not popular in America and will never be. There are several sports that have a better chance of become the fifth major. Soccer is more of an international sport and does not have a big following in the states.

• It doesn't work on broadcast tv

Our major pro sports all fit a advertising supported broadcast model. The games have been changed over the years to work with TV and radio to allow lots of breaks to sell product. In soccer the clock doesn't stop til halftime. The game can not be changed enough to fit our media environment.
    Unless, broadcast TV ends and all content is pay per view. This may change my opinion.

• No, it won't in the US

Soccer has been around at many levels in the US for decades. The explosion of the sport has been predicted for many years. It has become quite obvious that it will always be overshadowed by pro and college American football. American football will always relegate its ancestor, soccer, to a second rate sport here.

• No, or it already would be.

No, soccer cannot become the fifth major sport, because if it was destined to be that popular, it already would be. It is vastly popular, but considering how other cultures in the world view soccer, I do not think that it will ever take off enough in America to assume that spot.