Can the banning of social networking prevent cyber crimes?

• No it won't

I don't believe that the banning of social networking will prevent cyber crimes. Many cyber crimes are committed through email too. I think that if social networking was banned criminals would find another place to go. Cyber crimes will exist as long as their is technology. There are too many other options for computer crimes, and banning social sites won't make a difference.

• No, it won't work

You shouldn't shut down the network because hacking might be one app but maybe not others. Instead of shutting down the network maybe shut down that one app that has the hacking (or any other computer crime). Shutting down the internet won't help because There will always be cyber crimes out in the world.

• No it won't.

• Cyber crime will exist anyway.

Cyber crime will exist and thrive even without the use of social networking. People who commit crimes will find any way possible to take advantage of a situation in order to extort it for profit. I don't think that social media plays in too much with cyber crime because there is not really a lucrative market there.

• Banning Internet Sites Is Wrong

The Internet should not be turned into a place where some people can access things and others can't, it should be an open forum for people. I do not believe banning social networking will deter or prevent cyber crimes. Nothing will deter or prevent cyber crimes from happening, just as you can't eliminate crimes in real life.

• No that is not the answer

Banning of social networks will never work. You get rid of one and five more will surface. If there were no social networks there would likely be less cyber crimes but it would not solve the issue. Cyber crimes go a lot deeper than simply social networks. If there are computers there are cyber crimes.

• The banning of social networking would not prevent cyber crimes.

The banning of social networking would not prevent cyber crimes. They will always be cyber crimes out there no matter what we try to block. I think shutting social networking sites down would be a mistake and they would just go somewhere else to commit the crime. I think we should just be careful of what we post.

• Bans Don't Prevent Crimes

Social networking is just another form of human communication and does not contribute to crime any more or less than other forms of communication. Banning communication is harmful for interpersonal understanding and cyber crimes will still continue because they are generally isolated incidents based on information stealing and have nothing to do with social networking sites.

• No, cyber crimes will occur regardless of whether social networks exist.

In the news it is not rare to see headlines declaring that hackers have hacked into a company and stolen credit card information and other sensitive data. While cyber crime may be more well known to occur through social networks, stealing credit information from a company is a cyber crime, and occurs without social networks.