• The government can lawfully censor rap.

Yes I agree that the government can lawfully censor rap. The government is the supreme body who has the ultimate power to decide what is right and what is wrong? The government can always advise and consult with the censor boards to cut or censor the rap scene in movies or in the any mode of entertainment. The government can always on the behalf of the general public can act lawfully to censor the rap scenes in any mode of entertainment.

Posted by: I0rFashion
  • It should be censored

I think rap songs with bad words should be censored because it is inappropriate for kids! Imagine you are driving and then a violent rap song goes on and your toddler ends up learning a swear! Also, your kid might not get it from listening on the radio, but some kid at his/her school can teach him those HORRIBLE words because his/her friend heard that word from that rap! I SAY DOWN WITH RAP!

• Lawfully? Yes.

While it may not be the moral route to take, if the government wants to do something bad enough, it'll do whatever it wants.

• While it may not be prudent, the U.S. government does have the legal ability to censor rap, if it wished, due to the First Amendment.

The First Amendment protects freedom of speech in the United States. Despite this, the Supreme Court has consistently found that limits can be placed on what is considered obscene or profane. This is why the FCC can censor television, and children can be banned from certain films. This right also applies to music, such as rap. Currently, the government only requires a parental warning on music with obscene lyrics. It could, theoretically, institute further censorship measures, if it wished to do so.

Posted by: EminentBennett93
  • The government already censors rap lawfully.

I feel like parental warning stickers are one form of censorship- and those clearly are abundant with rap recordings. So it's clear that such censorship is already lawful. I don't believe any other action need be taken because doing so would violate freedom of speech. You, (acting as the government) may not like certain lyrics- but you must strive to protect rights of expression if you believe in the U.S. Constitution.

Posted by: tabundes
  • The government has every right to censor vulgar lyrics that harm young people.

Most rap songs today are filled with vulgar, disgusting language. I absolutely believe that the government should be able to lawfully censor rap songs and other questionable lyrics. Rap songs should be censored for not only curse words, but all demeaning language, drug references, gang references, and the like. Hearing these songs on the radio and TV simply promote the actions.

Posted by: OIi0IymPic
  • Rap should be censored

I hear a lot of offensive lyrics using gay as an insult, teaching young boys to degrade women and refer to them as bad names; women are people, homosexuals are people. These are not things to be ashamed of, and I've seen the outcome of this offense on girls and/or others. Every day i walk the halls of my high-school and you wouldn't believe what goes on and what is said, I ashamed of the students because of what they think is "freedom of speech." even freedom has a limit, but please respect our freedom as well.

• @It should be censored

Dafuq is your problem? People can listen to the music they want. Just because their lifestyle isn't like yours doesn't mean that they have to change it to be like yours. I bet you hate gays too, you tool.

F i l t e r p a s s i n g

• They chose to be offended

The fact is that swearing and vulgar language is only offensive if the listener chooses to be offended. I take no offence to swearing. In reality words are only noise, the individual chooses how to interpret those words.

For example, the word 'F**k' -- the meaning is the same as the word 'sex' but the word 'sex' isnt offensive, so the individual chooses to be offended which is their right to choose.

My view is black and white I know, but I choose to be offended by more important things.

• They have been through hard times

In my eyes some of the rappers have beent through a rough patch in their lives, and have turned to rapping to voice their problems. People such as Tupac who have used there songs to voice how they feel. Also such rappers as Eminem who dropped out of high school after failing 9th grade twice. Some people also get the wrong image of some of these rappers. 2 Chainz is one of them people think he grew up in a ghetto neighborhood and couldnt get an education, but that is not true he went all the way throgh college playing basketball with a 4.0 GPA.

• Responsibility and individual rights

Everyone has the right to listen, watch, read, whatever they want, they should have the option to decide what they can, and want, to indulge in.
    We aren't children, and everyone has the right to make that decision for themselves.
    As for "OMG NO THINK OF THE CHILDREN", then listen up, parents - it is YOUR job to make sure and judge what your kids listen/read/watch/etc.
    You wanted to be parents, therefore you take on the responsibility of deciding what is harmful for them or not.
    But no one has the right to decide that OTHERS should not have a say in what they like.
    We are all individuals who should be intelligent and wise enough to make these decisions for ourselves, and it is our job to protect our kids, not have government bodies do it for us where it will apply to all.

• Unconstitutional

Free speech.The First Amendment protects a person's right to free speech and freedom of expression. It has been upheld that freedom of speech is still applicable even if the speech is not popular or even offensive. Pornography was upheld as freedom of expression even though many people found it offensive. Flag burning was upheld as freedom of expression even though many people feel it should be outlawed. There is no reason rap should be treated any different, just because some people find it offensive.

• No more Eminem?? HELL'S NO!!

Censorship is wrong, no matter what the censorship is. we live in the land of freedom, America. When you think of America, do you think of censorship of stuff the government doesn't approve of??

• Freedom of speech.

They can warn people that it contains bad language but they cant ban it. Rap is just not full of bad language, it is expressing something...
    It will destroy the meaning of rap.

• Censorship would require a level of oversight and control that would arguably violate the very nature of the First Amendment.

The First Amendment protects a person's right to free speech and freedom of expression. It has been upheld that freedom of speech is still applicable even if the speech is not popular or even offensive. Pornography was upheld as freedom of expression even though many people found it offensive. Flag burning was upheld as freedom of expression even though many people feel it should be outlawed. There is no reason rap should be treated any different, just because some people find it offensive.

Posted by: KnownEvan
  • I oppose any sort of government censorship.

The government should not censor anything, including music, books, movies and television. America is supposed to be a land of freedom, and that includes free speech. Any sort of censorship is compromising our right to free speech, and that is unfair. If we truly want to be a free country, then we need to have all our constitutional freedoms intact.

Posted by: BashfulEmil60
  • I totally disagree that the government should censor rap, due to freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech covers it all here. I think the music industry needs to continue putting labels on music, and I think that parents should be the only censor that music has. Even then, kids can find a way to listen to things. Just because I think some song is disgusting and stupid, it doesn't mean the government should be able to censor it, especially if it is rap. I don't want them to censor political music, why would I want them to censor rap?

Posted by: PointlessElbert47
  • they cannot do it

censoring rap music is like taking a good gutair solo from santana. it is wrong on so many degrees. why would u wanna censor the truth. some people may say that it is bad for the youth of today but really they go to school and swear all the time its not like they havent heard the words its just you the adults of today dont want your lil ones getting the wrong message. thats your childs choice if he wants to follow what they say in the songs but it is YOUR responsibility to teach YOUR children right from wrong. If we didnt want our kids listening to vulgar curse words then why are they around. Parents dont be hipocrites I may not know u but Im positive that you have or had use a curse word. and i bet that when some of you say it you look around to make sure your kid didnt hear you. Im currently growing up in a ghetto nieghborhood and see violence and drugs and hear curse words but it doesnt mean i do all these things. people might say hey you use drugs then i would say no i dont want makes you u think that and there response is because ur Mexican. then i look at them and saw really then i would look at them say u killed some one of a minority and then they reply how i would say because ur white so u must be apart of the IKA and they would stop for a moment and apoligize to me for wat they said. like i always say you cant jugde a book from its cover because whats in the inside really matters.

Anonymous says2013-04-24T15:32:35.020
The government should at least play make it law that public radio station must play censored songs. Yes, people have the right to write songs about what they want, but that doesn't mean we need to present that to our kids. Look at the different between children that listen to early 2000's and back compared to teens that listen to todays rap? See a differents? Not all are that way but 90% our so please let some body make some excuse to call rap "music"
-Trooper fox