Can the use of school uniforms improve a learning environment?

• School uniforms help students remove their focus from the outward appearance, at least to some degree.

Since teenagers are highly prone to being overly concerned about what they are wearing, if they are required to wear a uniform then there is a greatly reduced amount of focus on this particular issue, which then allows them to turn some of that focus towards their learning. I do not, however, think that it is the sole means of achieving this.

Posted by: MariaR
  • It is symbol of equality.

School uniforms definitely improve the learning environment because it creates an atmosphere without any prejudice. No one can judge the status of a student if all of them are wearing the same things. Students feel better and are not affected by an inferiority complex. More relaxed students result in to better concentration on learning.

Posted by: TownMaso
  • obviously no explanation

Everyone says it builds up the leaning environment well it doesn't!! If we wear to school what we want then we build up the learning environment because we are learning about where other people got the clothes or how much a sweater cost! with school uniforms we would not be able to do that!!!!!!!!

• I agree

There are several reasons why uniforms will help, but I have three. 1) Students who come from different economic backgrounds find it very hard to assimilate in an environment where children have branded cloths, accessories, etc. With uniforms all rich and poor students do not have to worry about the brand of their cloths, and thus helps them to focus on their education. 2) When we speak of creativity and free expression it seems to always end with cloths, hair style, tattoos, etc. For example if a student is a pacifist he/she might wear a dress to support his/her stand. The problem with this is that it just ends there. Instead, encouraging these students to write an essay or paint a painting or sculpt a sculpture supporting their stand will be much better, because, think about it, what would have happened if the Federalists wore cloths or had a tattoo supporting their view, and not write essays? It is because of those essays that we have a glimpse of what the Federalists thought about the constitution. In light of these, the argument that uniforms inhibit free expression seems to be a poorly constructed reason to avoid uniforms in school. 3) Free expression could hurt others. What happens if a student wears a shirt saying that all homosexuals should be killed? What would happen if a student wears a shirt saying that all Christians should be killed? By wearing uniforms all such problems could be avoided, and this would help the administration to focus on improving education rather than worrying about public relations and the aftermath for suspending or not suspending a student who wore such a shirt.

• Work place, responsibility, and political correctness.

By having children where uniforms, they are being prepared for having a job. Most jobs, no matter how little, have some kind of dress code. It also teaches responsibility because students have to make sure their outfits are clean the following day and remember to wear them every day. Also what you wear won't offend others if they're wearing the exact same thing.

• I AGREEE

Because putting on the school uniform signals he or she is going to school just like dad dresses up to go to work. Schools report that when students dress in "work clothes" rather than "play clothes" they take a more serious approach to their studies. Many parents believe that students wearing school uniforms look nicer and that a school uniform policy ensures that children will come to school in appropriate clothing, avoiding distractions such as fads considered to be overly revealing. Some students have turned school into an unending fashion show. This distracts from learning, as some kids spend more time focused on their clothes than on homework.

• Yes

Because uniform helps not only the student to learn better, but also helps him/her behaviour wise. Say if you were going to do something naughty, you might think twice when your wearing uniform. Uniform just reminds the students that they are in a educational environment and they shouldn't do anything bad.

• yes i strongly agree

if there is school uniforms then students can pay more attention and get better grades go to college and live a better life some where in the world! if we have uniforms we wont wave to worry about getting up so early in the morning so they can sleep more. that is why we should have uniforms.

• YES

I went to a Catholic school my whole life and was required to wear a uniform. it keeps you focused no your learning and you never have to worry about having the latest fashion styles. it also shows support for your school as you represent them in a classy uniform.

• Safety

I totally agree all children should be required to wear school uniforms. This will help keep our children safe! Trespassers will be more easily identified, and there will be less bullying due to differing socio-economic statuses. They will have plenty of time for freedom of expression after school, on weekends, and in the summer time.

• Because Uniforms Suck

I hate my school uniform I Dont like it becuase we dont get to wear our shirts anymore only after school so Uniforms Suck dick

• No No No

I don't think that they can because it is ridiculous to make a person wear the same outfit day in and day out and the kids in school will find a way to make their uniforms different anyway and some kids may look better in the uniform than others so it will be no different.

• I disagree.

My school has a dress code and to be honest, they do not enforce it that much. They act like it is a big deal for the first few days of school, then they do not care anymore. I do not think school uniforms should be enforced because it is just one extra thing to remember in the morning.

• I disagree.

I am a student, and our school has a very strict idea on uniform. It is uncomfortable for many of the activities we participate in. It also constantly causes a rift between teachers and students, they are less focused on learning. School uniform tends to also highlight the body. While obese people can wear flattering clothes outside of school, they are forced to wear these clothes; it highlights what you look like. Also I believe it encourages bad behavior, students are constantly looked for a way they can violate the uniform. Or are constantly being disciplined for their clothing. They are more angry about uniform than things such as homework or little work in class. Uniform is automatically put above all else at school. Teachers also get disciplined by the head teacher if students leave their lessons in bad uniform.. That factor should not be important in a teacher it should be about the skills of their teaching and understanding of the children. Also I think it makes risque clothing stand out more. With people rolling up their skirts, because of the lengths; Or unbuttoning those few extra buttons. Also I personally hate blazers which we are forced to wear all the time, even to and from school. I believe school uniform with logos are more dangerous than non-school uniform as this gives rapists, and peadophiles easy identification of a student and where they can find them.

• I disagree

I think kids should be able to express themselves through clothing and what if they were wearing a school uniform and there was a tragety that happened at the school and you were looking for your child and you werent able find your child cause all the kids look the same cause they are wearing the same clothing

• I disagree

• uniforms are a horrible idea

No one likes these uniforms. Clothes are something that are used to describe who someone is and shows their personality. Uniforms are just uncomfortable and in no way look good. Telling someone to where a uniform to sbhool os like telling them to change who they are and be what other people want. They don't show who you are and don't describe what you are like.

• No

Forcing kids into uniforms they really don't want to wear, just creates animosity between them, the school and the teachers. It creates an environment where if they can find any way to revolt or cause trouble they will do so. So no I don't think school uniforms encourage discipline, quite the opposite, they encourage problems and misbehavior.Coming from a school that switched to uniforms my junior year, I do not believe so at all. In fact, there were MORE kids who got in trouble for not wearing the uniform correctly (wrong shade, no belt, more than one button undone, ect) than there ever was before. It's oppressing.No, I do not beleive they support discipline.While I believe school uniforms may help slightly i do not believe they fully encourage discipline as mush broader background is needed in order to encourage discipline. Discipline cannot be simply put on the issue of school uniforms as it is up to not only the teachers but the parents of the students who truly encourage dis

• Uniform doesn't effect learning process

I disagree, I as a student knows what it feels like to wear uniform i disliked. Whenever I wore regular clothes on Friday do to my school choices, I felt a little comfortable. The way i dress expresses who i am and what things i like so when i wear regular clothes i know i am comfortable in something i like to wear! I do my work and continue to proceed with my learning process. Uniform has its advantages and disadvantages!

• Uniforms VS. Creativity

I think that school uniforms take a lot away from kids' personality, their expression, and their creativity. Especially for a kid that may be strong in the artistic areas, they may feel as if they're being put in a box. And this is never healthy for any young mind, in a society like this.

Anonymous says2013-04-12T14:57:46.417
Wow so many people think that we should wear uniforms half of me think not but if it helps to stop bullying then im up for it cause nobody can say anything about what your wearing DUHH your wearing the same THING!!!!!!