Can the West still be considered an honest advocate of Middle Eastern peace?

• Yes it can

I personally think that we think way to hard about how other regions function. We need to let them be and figure it out for themselves. However, I do think that there are a great many people who want peace in the Middle East and do not want to have any more war.

• No, I think we cannot.

I do not think the West can any longer be an honest advocate of peace in the Middle East. After our years of involvement, they have not achieved a peaceful existence. The Middle East has dividing factors that will keep it from ever finding peace. I think it will always be an area torn by wars and internal strife.

• No, I don't believe the West can be considered an advocate of Middle Eastern Peace.

I believe in recent years it's been well demonstrated that Western powers will go to war in the Middle East over trying peaceful solutions, the Middle East has been unstable for many years and diplomacy has failed to work over all these years to bring a peaceful solution across the Middle East.

• Oil Interests Get in the Way

The West has too many economic issues tied up in the Middle East. The peace process will finally happen when oil is no longer an issue. The only reason western countries have such a large stake in Israel is to maintain oil interests in case of a crisis. When the need for oil goes away, then peace happens which will occur in about 20 to 30 years.

• We chose oil over credibility.

I don't think we can count on the West being an honest or reliable advocate of Middle East peace. I think whatever credibility we had in that arena dissolved under Bush I in the invasion of Kuwait, and further under Bush The Lesser in Iraq. We did it for oil, not democracy, and the world knows it.