• For sure We can

Go into the wild naked, make some arrowheads and a skinning knife, kill a deer with a rock, make some buck skin clothes, eat ( hopefully you are not a vegan & have the mind power to kill to eat ) never mind 99% of the go green save the whale democrats can't do this. Oh screw it, let's let the government take care of us.... Wait!!! You mean I have to contribute and (my) money gets divided? No one said being an activist would effect me!!! That is supposed to happen to everyone else and at their expense.... This is just not right!!! Holy crap I think I have become a right wing, gosh let the oil flow, I want my BMW back and all of the associated Petro-chemical products that we have to have lately, (unless you are Amish) ha!!! Leo would look funny in home made clothes walking the bear skin carpet to get his deer skull Oscar.
    Let's be realistic about this, if you can honestly say you can live like the Amish you can do it. That is only until Isis or the Chinese come over and put us all in concentration camps after they take the Country over.

• I think we can

We survived along time ago so i think that that we can today and i think i can manage no oil but if we can do it for a week i thin we can do it for the rest of our lifes and thanks tocolborne public school bye! ! !

• Myself and school.

It is simple to live without oil or even electricity. We did it about over a century ago. Surely if we could find our ancesters ways we could live without our live source, electricity form oil. Or atleast it was once our life source, but now its time for a new era.

• It is easy

L l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l l ll l l l l l l; l l l l l l l l l l l l ll ll l lll l l l l l l l l

• Everything runs on oil...

If we were to run out of oil, we would most certainly die. Nearly EVERYTHING is used by oil. Electricity depends on oil, and perishable food depends on Electricity. Say you wake up and theres no more oil, you try to turn on a light but it wont turn on. No more electricity. No more food. And certainly, no more water. How long would we last without food, refrigeration, or electricity? And don't forget.. No YouTube, no videogames, no internet, no gta...

• Easily, with a proper transition period

First, I agree. If we dropped oil TODAY, the world would likely go to chaos. This is not the point of this question (in my opinion). If we were to TRANSITION the various oil-dependent products and technologies to more permanently sustainable alternatives (assuming we are able to successfully research and develop such alternatives), then in time I feel the world would thrive without oil, just as it thrives with oil today. While many of us wish this could happen sooner rather than later, it will definitely be a growing process. As they say, you eat an elephant one bite at a time...

• Easily, with proper planning and research

• Of course, but life would be way different

What do you think we did before we ever even introduced ourselves to the use of oil? There were still hundreds of millions of us on this earth, but of course we didn't have automobiles, all of the items that we use everyday and whatnot. To keep these, we need to invest more into technologies that help replace the amount of oil that we use and set a limit as low as possible until we come up with the technology to support our way of life in the green ways that we need. Right now, if we want the same lifestyle, we need oil or everyone would freak out and have to live like woodsmen and old fashioned tradesmen. Nobody wants that. People say we are nowhere close to being able to replace most of our oil, but I don't agree with that because look how far we have come in just a few decades. 30-40 years ago, personal computers didn't exist but now we can walk around with one in our pocket and learn basically anything we want from it because of our advanced information systems. Don't doubt technology and the human mind.

• Yes we can

We can because the world is already starting to get greener and we are using technology more and electric cars the oil will be preserved thanks for reading thanks for reading thanks for reading thanks for reading thanks for reading thanks for reading thanks for reading thanks for reading thanks

• Yes we can

• No, in the immediate future, we could not survive without oil

If the entire supply of oil were diminished down to zero tomorrow, there would be dire consequences. The global infrastructure is entirely too dependent to say yes we would be just fine without oil. This is not to say the workings of the world could not be changed to a much less oil dependent mechanic.

There is absolutely no way that the world could sustain the current populations demands for even basic needs such as food and water without oil. Machines used for transportation and manufacturing require oil. Even a wind turbine requires oil during the manufacturing process and for daily operation. Plastics, which have a myriad of applications relating to the sustainability of mankind require petroleum in order to be produced, around 191 million barrels a year are used for the production of plastics. The healthcare field is heavily dependent on oil as many hospitals require huge amounts of energy, which current renewable technologies just can not meet the demands woth.

Nuclear energy in conjunction with improving technology for renewable energy sources might be a viable replacement for energy production in the next 15-30 years (And that would be an extremely aggressive goal), but oil is needed for many byproducts which make it possible for the Earth to sustain a growing population of over 7 billion people.

So in closing I do not believe that we could survive without oil. It may be a means to an end to escape oil dependence, but in the current state of things it is a necessity.

http://www.Machinerylubrication.Com/Read/395/wind-turbine-lubrication
    http://www.Eia.Gov/tools/faqs/faq.Cfm?Id=34&t=6

• No way in hell

Just about everything that you use in your daily life is a derivative of oil. From your smartphone or computer's plastic case the the fiber optic wires that bring you the internet. The polyester in your clothes cannot be simply replaced with cotton. Your "green" electric cars, made from oil, in the plastic in the seat-belts, in the wires. Your whole house, from the paint to the siding and shingles to the drapes. Just about everything in your kitchen, the nonstick coating on your pans and the plastic food containers.
    We simply cannot support the current population with out it.
    However if you are only referring to oil as a fuel then yes we can survive with out it (I can still burn coal right?)

• Our country is way too addicted to oil.

With the way the United States is addicted to oil, I don't see any way we could possible survive without it. Oil has been such a valuable thing and the United States appears to need oil very much. Without oil, we would be forced to try to find an alternative, but there would be much snickering and constant debate.

• Economically, we cant survive

Like the other comments, we probably could survive without oil like the Amish and all and no electricity or paint cars, etc. and all for a limited time especially how we are now. However, in the economy, it would crash without petrol and oil the economic world relies on oil like us and oxygen. The economy would go down until a new power source is found. Over all, we could survive but under extreme conditions so humanity could easily fall like a tower of toothpicks. So we would easily fall pretty soon

• Only some of could.

We currently live in the best times man has seen from a comfort standpoint. Without oil the world would shrink back to a pre-oil population of about 1billion. If 6 billion offer to off themselves to reach this goal, all the power to them, but I or my family wont be on that list!

• Everything runs on oil...

• No we can't!

We can't survive without oil. The world would go to chaos. We would not last 10 days in a world without oil. U.S. People here in America use oil a lot more than we think. I can't even imagine a world without oil that is how much we use oil. We won't survive, we will all die before we actually get through this. There are too many people who would do anything to get oil.

• No we can't!

• No we can't!

• No we can't!