Can U.S. dealmaking help to end the Israeli-Palestinian conflict?

• Yes, US dealmaking can help to end the Isreali-Palestinian conflict.

Assuming that it will ever be possible to end the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, it will come with the help of US dealmaking. Israel simply does not have very many allies in the world. The United States is the only nation that can really bring any leverage to bear on the Israelis to nudge them to accept a deal that will certainly be less than perfect for both sides. There will need to be support from other Arab states to nudge the Palestinians.

• I think things have reached the point where we can help.

Yes, I think the time may be right for the US to step in and try to end this conflict. I believe the only solution that will truly end this is to make two states, and have the US mediate negotiations over access rights. There will be no peace until everyone can agree over the control of Jerusalem.

• I'm not sure anything can end that war

That part of the world has pretty much been at war for the last 2 millennium. I'm not certain anything except a nuke will ever bring peace to the region. Israel is surrounded by countries who've spent decades denying both their existence and right to exist, while fighting guerrilla forces launching rockets randomly across interior borders. I don't see a peaceful exit strategy for the region.

• The U.S. will not be able to end the Israeli Palestinian conflict

No matter how honest they are in their efforts, it can not be reasonably assumed that the efforts of United States negotiators will have any noticeable effect on the Israeli Palestinian negotiation process for peace. The conflict has been going on for far too long now, and no solution is in sight.