• Biblically I must say yes

It does seem that one can only appreciate something if it's better than something else,which could be true. However, the Bible implies that in the garden of eden and in heaven, there is much happiness without unhappiness. This seems to mean that the idea I opened with does not include happiness. A baby comes out of it's mother crying, so for the baby, it would seem that unhappiness is the first of the two emotions. I wouldn't expect to be happy until I'm sad, but then, if that is so, how could I be sad until I'm happy? If we need to compare we need something to compare to, and therefore, one of them must exist first. Biblically, happiness existed first. Perhaps we can only feel happy because we have felt sad/unhappy.

• Contentedness to Happiness

I believe, however unlikely, that happiness can exist without sadness. This is life though and nothing remains constant or truly lie within the extremes.

Happiness and its polar opposite, Sadness, can be viewed as an axis. Another axis pertaining to the extremes of neutrality can align itself perpendicularly with the initial axis. One end represents Extreme Neutrality (The Absence of Happiness and Sadness) and the other representing the Neutral Extremes (Possessing both Happiness and Sadness) Thus we create a simple plane with four quadrants.

Within one quadrant lies the boundaries of Extreme Neutrality to Happiness. Thus an individual may live their entire life with emotions ranging from the lack of any particular emotion at all to happiness. Hypothetically of-course. ^^ Hardly anything is so simple.

• Technically, absolutely so:

Happiness is not triggered by the same neurochemicals as sadness so using the law of eventuality someone's brain has been or will be damaged likely at birth to prevent them from being able to properly be "sad". As such it is theoretically possible to never feel sad. This is no different than "pain" and "pleasure" which again are a pair that humans put together but are not biologically paired; there are people alive today who cannot feel tactile pain but have no problem feeling pleasure.

• Everyone experienced sadness

My point is, it's rather complicated to answer this question everyone experienced sadness. Of course, people do have a choice and freedom but only to a limitid degree. And I don't know really how would I call person who lost dear loved one and be completely happy about it. I guess pills coul make it happen but it's not really a choice then. And then there are different levels of sadness - grief, sense of loss, despair and so on.
    And happiness itself isn't just a feeling you get - it can be internal and external. If it's external, a mere reaction to outside events, then I don't think you can really be happy all the time. If it's locus is internal, then I would say it is possible to feel sadness as a reaction to some sad event, but still be at peace and not falling in depression and despair.

• A half glass empty is a half glass full

Happiness or sadness is a choice. If we are satisfied and learn to accept what happens with us, then we tend to be happier. Only a cherophobic would think that we cant have happiness without sadness. It completely depends on the person if he/she can live only with happiness or would have swings in their lives. One must accept life as a challenge and not curse themselves for their situations, even if they are slaves.

• Happiness and Sadness exist because of the other

The way we feel about something is defined by a comparison to something else. If all we could feel was "happiness", then we wouldn't believe "happiness" to be anything special or "good". It's necessary to have some sort of contrast, otherwise there would be no reason to define something as "happiness". Contentedness doesn't fill in here, because anything less than your "happy" state would have to be defined as "sad"

• Without shadows, you wouldn't know the light was there.

Sadness and happiness are like light and dark. Without one, the other would seem normal and wouldn't be special. Consider this, if you think everything is awesome, and nothing is "unawesome", then awesome by definition would just be mediocre. If everything was "happy" and there was no sadness, then you wouldn't have a comparison to show you are in fact happy.

• No we can't.

How do we measure happiness? There's high and low moments throughout our whole life. Highest moments being our happier moments and lowest moments being our sadder moments. To answer the question "can we have happiness without sadness" the obvious answer is no. How happy can we be if there is no moments that define happiness? We can't truly know happiness unless we have been sad. If happiness is our highest moments and sadness our lowest we should look at it like this: how high could we really be in our moments if there is nothing to define its height? If there is no lower points to prove that there is something higher. Obviously we don't like being sad or depressed or whatever the case may be, but the fact is happiness isn't possible without it.

• No we can't

How can we be happy if there is not any fine line of what is and isn't happy? We measure things by our lowest and highest points in life. If we just live in our "highest point" there should be a realization that that you aren't high at all., because how "high" can something be if there is nothing below it?

• Everyone experienced sadness

• Things only seem good when compared to things that are worse

America doesnt seem so great to me when im not comparing it to other countries. Honor isnt important to us we own animals like we used to own people and most of our laws were written by people who thought slavery was appropriate. Back when we wiped out the natives we didnt think we were in the wrong. Back when we owned slaves we didnt think we were in the wrong. Do you think we are perfect now or close to perfect or are we far from perfect and just dont know it? Given our history id say people arent smart enough to be anywhere near perfect. We just dont know it when we are wrong. But america compared to a lot of other countries seems great.

• Happiness wouldn't exist without sadness

Take this for example, if everyone had big houses, an abundance, as well as surplus, of money, and people were able to live their lives comfortably, would wealth exist ? No, wealth exist simple because you once had to work 3 jobs to barely pay the bill. Happiness works the same way, if you misfortune entered your life and it gets better - it's happiness. Even if the change is small and unnoticeable it often enough to be consider happiness

• You need sadness to have hapiness.

I think that happiness is a emotion we feel in comparison to the emotion sadness. If you don't experience sadness then hapiness can't be experienced as you wouldn't realise that you are happy,you would just be neutral. So therefore I think you can't experience one emotion without never experience the other, they balance eachother out.

• A certain darkness is needed to see the stars.

If we experience happiness everyday, is it really considered happiness? To us, it would just be felt as being okay. Emotions are all about comparing one thing to another. If you are starving in Africa, having a meal in front of you is a true gift. People who live in the United States and other fortunate countries have food on their plate every day, but they don't feel like they are truly blessed to have something to eat. If they get a new iPhone, however, they are extremely happy. Happiness is based on how you live your life, and what is considered the middle point of your emotions.