• It's not that they can, it's should they be able to?

Yes the word originated in the slave days and back then it was used as a horrible and demeaning word, but if black people are so offended by it they shouldn't say it either. The definition of racism is treating someone differently because of their race, so by stopping white people saying a word simply because they are white is technically racism. Now I do understand that white people being unable to say it is due to the fact that they were responsible for the periods of slavery and segregation however, I didn't personally commit these acts, neither did anyone else I know, so why should I be treat differently for something I didn't do? If anyone really believes in equality they will understand that it means everyone is the same no matter what, they can do what they please, think what they please, and say what they please regardless of race

• Yes everyone can use if they want

Anyone can use it because it's apeveryone right... This word has two meanings, either a racist, demeaning, mean term that u can use but be aware of possible repercussions.... Or the term for a friend or brother, this term is not demeaning, racist or mean and people who think it is are really just ignorant... Be careful even using the second meaning of the word because out of context people could misunderstand and get offended... I'm white (Caucasian) and I say the word basically when I'm singing a song that uses it or when I'm talking to my brother ABOUT my brother.... Thanks for ur opinions!

• Sure, why not.

If it is such a highly offensive word, then no one would ever use it. Yet you see rappers like Kanye, Snoop etc using it all the time, so clearly there is nothing wrong with it. It will only be unacceptable when everyone stops using it, as then and only then will it be a taboo word. Or, we can say no and be racist by saying only black people can use it.

• Who says they are calling someone a "N" word?

What you're implying is that the word can not be ushered from their lips at all. I can cuss and swear, I'm verbally able to, but I don't because it is wrong. Same goes with saying that word, It is only bad if you mean toward someone not if they say the word at all

• If the situation calls for it.

Though for the most part, people of every race are pretty average, some of every race are scum. Those that are average or above should be addressed with at least some degree of respect. Those that are scum deserve to be called whatever other people want to call them.

Personally, I barely notice a persons color. About the only time it comes up is when I am talking about a person who shares the same first name with another. Then I may say "black Mark" or the "oriental John" but I would also be likely to say "tall Eric" or "older Jack" to me, it is just a factor of appearance.

• Being offended is a choice.

I believe this reverts back to free speech. I am a libertarian, and although I do not like the word, I will not infringe on anyone's right to use it whether that be to cause offense or in the case of Louis C. Clark, to raise satirical awareness of it. To be offended is the choice of the offendee. After all, it's just a word. It may have a derogatory context, but if that's the bar then as a society there are thousands of words we shouldn't be using. I dont believe we can pick and choose what words are good or bad, they all have a meaning.

• I believe so.

Is there some sort of filter on white people that doesn't allow them to say the N word that I'm not aware of? I would think that as long as you have the ability to speak, you'd have the ability to say the N word. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• No double standard

Claiming only one group is allowed to use it (or one group is not allowed to), is either claiming that group is in some way better than others; or in some way worse than others. Either direction is clear racism.

Further it's not exactly a trade secret, it's been publicly shared with people of all ages and skin color. Once that happened by any authorized user, all those people have a right to use it. So basically since it's in rap songs bought by people of any skin color, people of any skin color are allowed to repeat it.

• They cannot say it.

If a white person says the n word, then they will spontaneously combust. I have personal experience with this, because one of the voices in my head died from trying this. Also, if you are one of the few immune people to spontaneous combustion, then Obama and his liberals wills imprison you for "hate speech". I mean, if black people didn't want to be called n*ggers, then why did they try to move into my neighborhood?

• You really shouldn't

Ragnar is saying this is a double standard, and I'm here to say that it really isn't. It is not a double standard because this is a false equivalency. If you look at the context of the word, and its origin, it means something when a white person uses it against a black person. The word does not have the same weight when a black person uses it.
    Sorry, those are the facts. If a black person is uncomfortable with you using that word, you should respect it.

• Nobody should use it

Doesn't matter where you're from. If you're fresh off the plantation you should know more so not to ever use that word. The ones that use it so freely are young black teenagers that never picked a single cotton in their life and have no clue what slaves really struggled through. Nobody should use it, celebrate it or use it endearingly. You don't see jews call themselves kikes or Chinese call themselves chinks. It's completely disrespectful to your own people and to the white people that have been backing the black people up and their rights.

• I don't think anyone should

Well, here's my take on figuring it out. I personally don't think anyone, regardless of their race, should be using this term. It's a demeaning and offensive word that has no place in conversation. I have never heard the word used in a manner that did not in some way demean. Perhaps the right exists to use this word but in my opinion this doesn't justify using it.

• I mean I really don't wanna touch this

Really its best maybe to not say it even though you have the right to because it is only going to be an offensive term. But hey I'm just the one posting this so actually its up to you guys to figure it out lol. Screw you guys I'm going home!

• It's not a double standard

The fact is, it's not a double standard that black people can use it and not white people. For it to be a double standard, the word would have to mean the same thing coming from both races, and it doesn't. "Nigger" has been used, historically, as a racist term against blacks by white people, so if a white person says it, it carries this connotation. However, black people have changed the meaning of the word within their own culture to be empowering and carry a positive or neutral connotation. The fact that the word can mean two different things based on who says it means that saying one race can say it and the other can't isn't a double standard, because it's entirely different in both cases.

One last thing - why is this even a debate? It's not like there's not any other words that people can use, especially not for both connotations. OH WAIT- there is. Saying it with the positive/neutral connotation the way black people use it can easily be replaced with "Man", "Bro", "Dude", or a multitude of other words. If you want to piss someone off by saying something to them, say they're a fucking asshole or something. And if you want a replacement for the word that's intentionally racist, then there's something wrong with you. Case and point.

• A sociolinguist speaks.

Well, let's look at this from the perspective of a sociolinguist: usurpation of power is essential to the reformatting of oppressive societal systems, and among the most oppressive of these systems can be language. Nigger was originally an oppressive piece of language that has been neutrally resemanitcised so as to redirect a negative, oppressive power dynamic, into an empowering one for Black people. Black culture, as a whole, has maintained that this power dynamic hold when Black people are in control of the word, whether it be used freely, by Black people only or not at all. Essentially, to tell a Black person how to use this word (if you are not a Black person, that is) is inherently oppressive and rooted in racism. Now not ALL Black people, but most, feel that the word in neutral in an intraethnic context, and is malicious outside of it. As such, non-Black people simply should respect that and find other things to worry about.

• I say that white people (like me ) can't say the n word

The n word is black peoples own thing ,its as simple as that .( just ignore this part but I need more than 50 words to post this on here so just ignore this part please I still need 10 more words and I'm almost done blah blah blah and YAAAY I'm past 50 ... OK bye)

• Instead of being racist why not focus on the real problems.

Regardless of ethnicity, skin colour etc, there are people from all around the world who deserved to be outcast from the rest of us. Why would you not talk to your neighbour because of their religion? Thats what they believe, however if your neighbour was a rapist or child molester thats what we should all be focusing on, burning down their houses regardless of the colour of their skin or the god they believe in. We all need to stop focusing on the meaningless things in society and start focusing on the real problems, its the 21st century, stop being moronic racism only exsists because we keep talking about it we are all human, shouldnt that be the end of it?