• The No side can only be correct if we use the word "touch" in a way that would be absurd to use it.

The "No" side is only correct if "touch" is understood to mean there is absolutely no difference in distance between the two solid points said to be "touching". That's an absurd way of defining "touch".

That's not the way the word works in the real world. In the real world "touching" occurs when the systems in question (which includes forces) touch not when particles touch.

• You can because then the human body would just fall apart.

There's a very commonly held view that atoms can never touch: bring them together slowly, and you reach a point where they begin to repel. But in this video, Professor Philip Moriarty explains that really isn't the case. There are no approved replies for this post. Again I am right.

• Yes, we can.

Most people on the other side argue that due to atom scale physical reality we can't touch things. I have to disappoint them. The word "touch" describes a macro event, as it applies to "us". As a macro event touching is possible, no matter how physics at small scale work.

The same kind of argument would be that the car does not exist, because there are only bunch of particles and some fields.

Or that the water cannot be liquid, as it is made of water molecules, which are not liquid. Supporting "proof" can be the fact that ice and steam are also made by H2O and both are not liquid obviously.

• I believe you can.

First of all, I would like to begin by saying that I somewhat understand the science behind touching things. But from a philosophical standpoint I must believe we can. Without believing we can touch things we deny our influence on the world around us, though the evidence is present everywhere. Every man made thing and even mad itself is evidence of touch and influence of us and our ancestors.

• If can't touch, where do the sensations of wetness, roughness, pain and heat come from???

It's somewhat true that we don't touch things due to the repelling of the electrons between the atoms of our hands and the object that is being touched, but how can we prove that we don't touch water when we feel wet, or if ur hand melts when it comes in contact with magma. Are people trying to prove that it's the force between 2 electrons which causes the brain to differentiate between what is rough or what is smooth, or is it being proved that the force releases heat energy to make our hands feel hot when we touch something hot. A force is not an object which it can release the sensations that we feel, it's just an interaction. For example, you can't say this force is hot, or this force is wet, or this force is painful. It is the object that come in contact with tells the brain to interpret what we are feeling, not the force, but the OBJECT.

• An atom difference is small

If you say that you can't touch things think about this. If you can't touch things then how do you feel pain? And how does a car even have traction between ground and tire? If you're floating right now then how have scientists not used this knowledge and expanded it so we can fly? That means that I am not typing right now. Think about it.
    By Einsteins son

• On a macro level

Supposing our electrons can never touch we cannot touch electrons together. But I don't have to touch atom to atom to be touching things. My friction from my electrons against the friction of other electrons is causing the two to touch. So that means I am touching the object, as the object's electron repellence is creating friction with my electron repellence and the friction is touching. Which this means there is no space between the friction. And if the friction is directly from my body and directly from the object, I am touching it. Whether is it only through friction and on a macro level or not, it is still direct contact and I am still touching objects. I see where the atomic level kicks in and electrons do not touch, but the friction causes us to be touching things. This is an arguement based off research. But if it is proven to me that I am entirely wrong, I would love to learn more, this is what I currently believe.

• There is a possible way to touch things.

We may not be able to touch things on an atomic scale but some of our atoms can fling off our body and lose their electrons. This means that there is a possibility to touch things just it is highly unlikely for this to ever happen. I also am highly offended by one of the comments saying that we are idiots for not having the same thoughts or ideas. You just can never see our way i guess?

• You can actually touch things.

Provided that things are tangible, it is possible to touch things. If they are abstractions or just ideas, of course you cannot touch them. The sense of touch is very important in our lives. We can recognize things by the way they feel, and touch provides us with intimacy with other people.

• How can you feel things if you cant touch them

It is just not possible to not be able to touch because how would you be able to feel things how can different things feel different things if you can't touch them . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

• No, you can't.

Actually, we never touch anything. The electrons in our bodies repel anything very slightly, but we can still actually grasp and hold things, but we're never really touching anything. It's actually kind of a scary thing to think about, when you kiss someone, you're lips are not touching theirs. The closest we can get to touching anything is actually while inside the mothers womb. Heres a interesting video that explains this far better than I could:
    http://www.Youtube.Com/watch?Nomobile=1&v=yE8rkG9Dw4s

• Nope. It's Electrons

The electrons of your hand repel the electrons on the wall for example. This is what creates the illusion of feeling or touching. You are actually touching the weak force. So no you don't actually touch something. And these two forces the Strong and the Weak force are what keep all matter attached, or in form.

• No, we are not touching anything

Mainly due to the fact that there is microscopic space between each and EVERY particle in the known universe. Due to this, different forms of matter exist. Hence our existance. Therefore, if there were no space between perticles, everything would be dead solid, and mankind would not exist. Yes we may be able to split an atom, but even then, it is the repulsive force which creates said space between particles that is doing all of the work. As well, this force is electromagnetic, and is caused by the electrons exchanging photons which is reversing the momentum of said electrons. As I said, you cannot touch anything. So yeah, you are hovering RIGHT NOW ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• They told me NOT to eat all those peach rings...

Well, it all started when I was a child. My mother walked me down to the old mom 'n pop store down the road, and it was there where my peach ring virginity was taken. If I do recall, it was of a Trolli variety. Twas truly the best 4 to 5 seconds of my life. That is, until, I purchased a 5 pound bag of these delectable O's of peachy ecstasy. The Amazon serviceman had delivered this portable container of diabetes to me, but in return he had one important task for me: go on debate.Org and state my opinion on if we can really touch things. Of course you can't, what, ya stupid or something?

• Interatomic distance cant be 0

There is a distance (very small) where the repulsion between atoms increases asymptomatically to infinity, meaning that you would need infinite energy for 2 atoms to coexist in the same point (aka touching) regardless you will achieve fusion before you get anywhere close to this point. As for an arument about touch, the surface, if rough will interact more in some parts of the skin making your brain interpret it as rough. As for wetness, the only thing you feel is the cold from water evapotating slowly on your skin and the cold is picked up by the receptors somewhat deep in the skin.

• "Can't Touch This!"

To understand why we can't touch anything, you need to understand how electrons work, and before you can understand that, you need to understand the basic information about the structure of an atom.
    For starters, like me, almost all of the mass an atom has is concentrated into an incredibly small region, called the nucleus. Surrounding the nucleus is a whole lot of seemingly empty space, except for the region within an atom where electrons (and protons) can be found orbiting the central nucleus (the number of electrons within an atom depends on the element each atom is suppose to comprise. The image on the right shows the atomic configuration of an iron atom).

Like photons, this funky subatomic particle also exhibits the particle-wave duality, which means that the electron has characteristics of both a particle and a wave. On the other hand, they have a negative charge. Particles are, by their very nature, attracted to particles with an opposite charge, and they repel other similarly-charged particles.

This prevents electrons from ever coming in direct contact (in an atomic sense and literal sense). Their wave packets, on the other-hand, can overlap, but never touch.

The same is true for all of human-kind. When you plop down in a chair, or slink into your bed, the electrons within your body are repelling the electrons that make up the chair, you are hovering above it by a unfathomably small distance.

• No u can't

There is a microscopic space between you and the object. Electrons will repel each other because they're negatively charged. Negative and negative don't go together, like magnets. North won't go with North and South won't go with South. Positive won't go with positive and negative won't go with negative. We feel the repulse, not the object!

• No u can't

• Physics says we can. BUTT PHYSICS IS WRONG

Physics is wrong. How do we clap and noise is made? How do we use a
    touchscreen ipod or ipad???
    Now i just need more words to putt on the floor and i have to be a wait to see you in the world to me e why physics wwhhhhy???

Marcus_Aurelius_Augustus says2013-07-11T07:42:30.593
This is science, not society.
STMAknight92 says2013-07-11T13:18:14.357
Well it is involved in everyday things
MasturDbtor says2015-07-12T20:12:30.213
People here are forgetting about antimatter. I would have titled my post as such but I already posted and came at it from a "No is wrong because of linguistics" angle.