• yes you can

Yes, people can be rich and not be greedy. The best example I can think of is Bill Gates. He is a billionaire yet gives away millions of dollars to many different charities. There are others, but they often do not make their donations public. They tend to be more modest about it.

• Yes, there are even examples of this.

One main example would be Bill Gates. He spent billions of his own money on charitable institutions and plans to gift nearly all of his money to foundations when he dies, leaving only a few million (not billion) for his children. This shows that you can be rich, even the richest in the world, and not be greedy.

• Yes, you can, rich are not greedy, they're ambitious

And who says that rich are greedy?
    Average, poor and dumb people say that to make an excuse for their misery.

I believe on the contrary that most rich people are not greedy but average people and poor people are.
    And if not then why most average people work for the bosses they don't like and the job they don't like? The only thing average person work for is money.

• Yes you don't need greed

There are many very wealthy people that do not have greed in their bodies, some leave all their money to good causes when they pass away.

Greed can be a factor as one pushes themselves towards great wealth but others are just in the correct play at the correct time and are able to generate an great deal of money though some invention or purchase. Not all of them are greedy.

• Being rich does not necessarily make you greedy.

I see greed as putting your interests so far ahead of the interests of others that you are willing to set people back and harm them in order to get closer to your goals, or you just care about yourself so much that you don't even think about anyone else's problems. Why do I want to be rich? I want to be free, that's why. I don't want a mansion. I don't want a Ferrari. I don't want a Rolex. I want to do donate large sums of money to medical research, charities, and other respectable organizations. I want to travel the world and see the most beautiful places on earth, both natural and man made. My dream is to go somewhere so beautiful that I would shed a tear. New Zealand? Yessir. Unfortunately, that can be expensive. Money can aid in making you happy if you use it in good ways. People tend to think that rich people are always materialistic, which is certainly not true.

• The wealth of this nation

Just because someone is rich does not necessitate that they are greedy. The most common cause of accumulated wealth over most peoples lifetimes is hard work, planning and commitment, lets call it the good life. At the end of a good life you will have most likely accumulated assets that represent the hard work you have put in. That doesn't mean you are greedy as someone has to own those assets, so why not let it be the person who's labour has paid for it.

These sorts of debates can be easily derailed by emotion, but I think so long as you keep in mind that all assets are the product and exchange of each others labour then you will quickly realise someone must be the owner of them; money just represents the intermediate step between your labour and the object or service you exchange it for, in this sense a society as a whole is only as rich as the labour that is put in.

• If your born rich.

Being born rich,does not make you greedy necessarily. If you start out poor then go up to be rich,then that is greed. Many rich people lived poor and so focused on being rich and keeping their familoes rich. Rich people may start greedy then become generous. Also the way the people earned the Wealth affects them.

• You can live a rich life without being greedy.

You can have a very high income and yet not have a large bank account. When I had plenty of income I *spent* and *shared" that income and paid higher tax, and now I'm ill and have no income, I don't get to sit back and push around a pile of cash like a shield from the worries of everyday people while I wait for patents to expire on the medicine that can make me better so that I can afford it.

Am I a failure? By the measure of many I probably am. But if you ask the people whose income was sustained or improved by my spending, or if you ask the people who I helped out with gifts, they would probably say that they're glad that I 'frittered away' my money instead of locking it away in a vault somewhere hoping to establish a legacy of trust-fund babies that will extend for generations.

That, to me is greed.

• You have to be greedy to become rich

You have no choice to be greedy in this world. You need money to live. So when you find an item you can sell to make money, you have to come up with money saving ways to create it and sell it for more to profit. Wanting profit of an item is already being greedy. In conclusion, theres no way around greed, you have to face it to become rich. Not everyone chooses the right thing.

• No you cannot.

It has been scientifically proven that rich people are more greedy than poor people. Lower income people tend to give more of their money to charity, whilst the rich less. Yes, the rich do give more, but they give less percentages of their money. Say, a rich guy earns an income of $150000 a year and gives $1000 to charity. That's only .67% of their total money. Meanwhile, a lower income person, who earns $25000 a year gives $500 to charity. It's less, yes, but it's 2% of their income, more than .67% of the rich person's income. Studies also show rich people tend to lie more, even if their reward is small. A study says that rich people would lie just to get $50, while the lower income was truthful. Money is a drug as bad as cocaine. Once you're on it, you cannot stop wanting more. Money is greed.

• No, Greed Naturally follows Riches

There are no people who can be rich without being greedy. The snake bite of riches transforms a person into someone who even s/he often doesn't recognize; and it is not until s/he amasses absolutely huge riches that their greed is attenuated - not replaced - by a feeling of obligation. These people are the super wealthy, and are known names. They provide funding for that which specifically interests them, but rarely - and usually, never - put their personal fortunes at risk.
    So uncommon is it for someone of great wealth to NOT imbue greed that when even small percentages of their riches are gifted, a great and (usually) happy hue is raised. Rich people continue to want more, just as the less fortunate want more. The difference is that the rich no longer have the obligation to pursue more; their families are provided for and their interests are attended to. Only greed can account for their dedication to the quest for more.
    Riches without greed is the normal state of being for millions of people of the world and billions throughout history. Those riches however are not in the form of money or property, but from full hearts.

• No, Greed Naturally follows Riches

There are no people who can be rich without being greedy. The snake bite of riches transforms a person into someone who even s/he often doesn't recognize; and it is not until s/he amasses absolutely huge riches that their greed is attenuated - not replaced - by a feeling of obligation. These people are the super wealthy, and are known names. They provide funding for that which specifically interests them, but rarely - usually never - do they put their personal fortunes at risk.

• A person who eats too much is called glutton

Being rich is a form of gluttony . What is the point of having millions and ignoring poverty all around you. It requires killing your soul in order not to feel shame. It involves bring blind in order to avoid seeing your life of parasitism and futile pursuit of money

Posted by: Bugs
  • The Will To Be Rich Is The Essence of Greed

I do not believe a person can be rich without being greedy. Being rich or having wealth assumes that you have large sums of money that you are not letting go. In order to become un-greedy you must let go of the money, but then you are no longer rich. However, if you remain greedy, you will remain rich.