'Cash Me Outside' Girl Suicide Hoax: Are reality-based TV and fake news sites destroying credible journalism in the U.S.?

• Yes, shows such as these are deinitely having an impact on journalism.

It is getting to the point where no one knows who or what to believe anymore. With so many fake news sites on the web it is difficult to discern fact from fiction. Google is making efforts to do away with fake news sites. I certainly hope this helps. TV is rapidly becoming a colossal waste of time. There is not much believable happening on TV at all.

• Yes, I think so.

Fake stories” are in the news. The narrative goes something like this: fabricated accounts that misrepresent “the truth” are proliferating on the internet, and once they appear on a social networking site, they are frequently spread far and wide, often doing serious damage along the way to whatever or whomever was the target of the initial posting.

• I think fake news sights are hurting journalism

I agree that many fake news sights are hurting journalism but only because there are thousands of people who believe these stories. Most Americans should be able to tell real news from fake news and not let it influence them; however, look how the 2016 election turned out and the affect fake news had.

• Only if people choose to believe them

The only reason that these sites have any influence at all is that people choose to actually believe them. If a person cannot spot fake news, they have no business sharing news and their thoughts and opinions of the news. There are reputable news agencies still, we just have to be able to tell the difference.