Charlie Hebdo attack: Should media outlets be more careful about the content they publish?

• Yes, media outlets should be more careful about the content they publish

Here in the Western world, we tend to take it for granted that you can more or less say and/or write any kind of satirical content your heart desires, and typically not face a violent response. But it's worth pointing out that this is a historically and cultural contingent condition; in other words, it hasn't always been like that, nor is it like that everywhere in the world now. Sometimes, pissing off the wrong person has repercussions, whether you think they are justified or not.

• Satire on Fire: Funny or Fatal?

No one should lose their life for the purpose of selling a product. Satirical newspapers are a product. While I whole heartedly agree with the freedom of speech and thoroughly enjoy a good joke at any religion, race, sexual orientation, or gender's expense, sadly not all people possess a sense of humor. When innocent people are dying by the gunfire of radicals, the media must be more careful about the product they sell. The same goes for media outlets and the way they report issues such as the protests in Ferguson, Missouri.

• The media should support freedom of expression

In times of adversity such as the Charlie Hebdo attacks, we should all take a stand with the media and journalists to support and defend the freedom of expression. Fear will try to overcome us, but we must not allow ourselves to be ruled by it, instead fighting back against injustice.

• Why is this question being asked?

In the wake of an Islamist attack, the first thing I ask myself certainly isn't 'should the West adapt their behaviours as not to rifle radical feathers?' To me, doing so is offensive and unhelpful. We should be fighting Islamism, not appeasing it. At the end of the day, the core issue is radical beliefs, not a comic book.

• No, freedom of expression!

They should invest in more security for their offices and stuff if they are posting offensive and very controversial stuff. I do not, however, believe that any one should ever have their artistic views quieted. If people don't like it, they shouldn't read it or look at it. It's that simple.