Chess in the Olympics: Should Chess be an event in the Summer Olympics?

• Yes it should

Since when did the Olympics become all about the body? Currently, the element of rich, cultural sports and mentally stimulating activities are nonexistent in the Olympic Games. During ancient times, the Olympic Games included competitions in fields such as music, theater, poetry and other humanities and arts. In fact, until World War II, there were competitions that recognized and gave rewards to the mental efforts of people identically to how physical efforts were treated. In turn, chess would be a great way to introduce this missing component of what once was an integral aspect of the Games.

When you think of sport you think chess isn’t a sport then you think right but in the seventies and eighties Australia recognized chess as an Olympic sport. They had the right idea thinking that a sport is an exercise that stimulates a muscle or groups of muscles in fact the definition is an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment. Which makes chess a sport to many people including me and a survey shows 63%of people think chess should be an Olympic sport.

Chess is like Boxing both opponents are equally matched. The outcome could be decided, by tactics or mistakes. Boxing requires body strength, concentration and understanding your opponents strengths and weaknesses. To concentrate on your opponents tactics, as well as your own. Boxing as an opening either attack and defense. A middle area to prepare for the final knockout. Never feel you have won or lost a match, one mistake could change the total outcome of the match Demanding a combination of brains and brawn, this new sport has competitors floating like butterflies and stinging like kings said chess boxer Tim Woolgar

The Olympics are a huge impact on young children’s life yes I know everyone wants their children to be hugely famous and in the Olympics but that isn’t always what they want I was always the weird one in my family and I wasn’t good at most sports so I wanted a sport which would allow me to harness my huge intellect so I played Chess in my free time and my parents bought me a glass chess set for my 6th birthday and I know you're wondering if glass was the best choice but I was a careful kid when I was younger I’m not anymore if you’re wondering .

So I hope have convinced you that chess should be in the Olympic. Here’s a fun fact for you to wonder about The longest possible chess game theoretically can have 5,949 moves impressive huh thank you for reading.

• Yes it should

Since when did the olympics become all about the body? Ever since ancient Greeks invented the Olympics they have been popular but one thing that has been changed is there is no brain game in the modern olympics it is all lifting, acrobatics, running.

When you think of sport you think chess isn’t a sport then you think right but in the seventies and eighties australia recognised chess as an olympic sport. They had the right idea thinking that a sport is a exercise that stimulates a muscle or groups of muscles in fact the definition is an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment. Which makes chess a sport to many people including me.

• Chess should be included

"In the ancient Olympic Games, the element of cultural and mental activity was present," Rajcsanyi counters. Indeed, the ancient Olympic Games included contests in music, theater, poetry and other arts. "In the Olympic Games, until the Second World War, there were competitions that rewarded the mental efforts of people in the same manner they rewarded physical efforts," he adds. "Today, the missing element of the intellectual competition can be reintroduced by the involvement of chess, and perhaps bridge."

• Olympic games must split

In my opinion the Olympic games should split in three.
    -physical sports
    -mental sports
    and - millitary games

Why? Because thats what the Olympics are according to us (the Greeks)
    you see the ancient greeks exept from physical sports (some of them had also millitary competition) also had mental games like singing poetry and music.
    The reason for the olympic games existance is to make people to compete because through competion people break their limits and improve themeslves.
    Chess should be in the mental sports category of the olympic games
    and if you try to find what millitary games could we find i suggest you search the russian tank biathlon.
    But in the end all i said its just my opinion and what i would like to see.

• Chess is a sport.

The definition of sport: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
    Thus chess is a sport by definition. It involves physical exertion and skill. Physical exertion: Sitting and thinking for long hours.
    Skill: Having knowledge and experience and vision.

• Chess is a sport!!!

Chess player in the morning to all my life and the rest of the day before I get a follow back on my way mind that is not an issue with my life and the rest is the only thing that could make the most hi chessboard I don't think it's not a sport

• Chess should be an Olympic sport, like Boxing both opponents are equally matched. The outcome could be decided, by tactics or mistakes

Boxing requires body strength, concentration and understanding your opponents strengths and weaknesses.
    To concentrate on your opponents tactics, as well as your own.
    Boxing as a opening either attack and defence. A middle area to prepare for the final knock out.
    Never feel you have won or lost a match, one mistake could change the total outcome of the match!

Chess requires mental strength, concentration and understanding your opponents strengths and weaknesses.
    Chess as a opening either attack and defence. A middle area to prepare for the final knock out

• Chess is a sport

Actually, according to the dictionary, chess is a sport. Did you also know that chess can help you lose weight, due to the intense competitiveness of the game? Also, it is played on almost all continents, and is widely supported. By having chess in the summer olympics, more support could be given too.

• Chess is indeed a sport

How does the dictionary define "sport"? Merriam Webster, a reliable source, defines it as " to play in a happy and lively way". Chess fits both requirements. Also, the National Olympic Committee considers it a sport. Besides, it was closer to getting into the olympics than football is ever going to be. If football is a sport, chess is. Chess has competition between two players/teams. Did you also know that chess is the most popular sport in the world?

• No, chess should not be a sport at all.

The definition of sport is very loose, and it needs to include things that take physical prowess to complete. Chess should not be considered a sport, but even if it were included in the Olympics as a sport it should be included in the winter games, not the summer ones.

• Chess is not a physical sport.

Chess is a sport but it is not a physical sport, it is a mind sport. Those kinds of sports need their own Olympic games. Chess, checkers, Tetris and others would be perfect for that. Putting chess in the regular Olympics would take away from the true meaning of the Olympics.

• Boring to watch

Should never even have a look in like cricket two of the most boring sports to watch but if cricket go in for the next Olympics only t20 short and quick and take golf out as well fun to play boring to watch not a sport it is a hobby

• Chess isn't a sport

When athletes walk into the stadium at the Opening Ceremony, people can only imagine what they went through to get there. Their struggles, both mentally and physically, are not going to be experienced by the average person. But to have these chess players stand equal to these swimmers and volleyball players? It's ridiculous. Chess is in a completely different category compared to an average sport. People need reflexes, physical strength, mental strength, and endurance for an average Olympic sport, such as basketball, tennis, water polo, or hockey. Meanwhile, chess has little to none of these attributes. Chess players already participate in many completions, but the Olympics shouldn't be one.

• Chess Isn't a Sport

• Chess Isn't a Sport