Children learn bird calls: Do children learn enough practical things in school?

• It's the parents' job.

I think that children learn a lot of practical things at school, such as how to wait their turn and get along with others. Schools exist to teach academics, and that is OK. However, I think that parents need to be the ones responsible for teaching their kids practical things.

• I agree that some of the things children learn in school seem frivilous.

Schools are under-budgeted and teachers constantly have to think of creative ways to teach with little or no money for materials. I can see how bird calls would be a whimsical project and it isn't right to judge, but, honestly, can we have some modicum of oversight on teacher's curricula?

• Yes, it is a complemet to their learning experience.

Children should learn practical things in school because it is a way to enhance their education and in many cases, like in this particular one, learning the sounds of birds can help children develop their interest in music, their ability to communicate and module their own voice, and increase knolegde on different bird species.

• So many practical things

The mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell!

, , ,, , ,, , , , , , , ,,,,,, , ,,,, , , , , , ,, , , , , , , , ,, ,,,, ,, , ,, ,, , , , , , , , , ,

• No, children do not learn enough practical things in school.

Bird calls are not a practical skill for children to learn in school. It is unlikely that children will need to use bird calls later on in life. Instead of learning bird calls children could learn skills such as how to save money or communication skills. These skills will serve them better later in life than bird calls would.