Chocolate by numbers: Does a Hershey bar need to contain more than 11% cacao to be considered chocolate?

• yes, cacao is the base of any chocolate.

What we can say is that if only 11% cacao is contained in one Hershey bar, so what is the rest? surely fat and sugar. Nutritionists recommend to take chocolate bars and only those who have 70% cacao or more. Below, it is not considered fully and pure chocolate bar.

• Yes, there has to be a minimum

Unless something is made up of a minimum of something, then it can not be labeled that thing. For candy bars without the required amount of cacao, they should be labeled as chocolate-flavored or similar. Many other food products have minimum requirements, and Hershey being a large company should not make them exempt.

• Legally that's the case

The problem here isn't the legal definition, it's the fact that Hershey skirts the line when it makes chocolate bars. The extra "stuff" that goes into a Hershey bar makes it taste inferior to the high-cacao recipes of other chocolate brands. As long as the company keeps making them that way, I'll choose a different option.

• I need more

I am a chocoholic who wants as much infusion of cacao as possible. The pleasure centers of my brain requires this immediately. The more chocolate the better. We need to make sure that a higher content would not cause any form of toxicity to the liver though. If not then I'm ready to party.

• Still too little!

Chocolate is only chocolate if it contains enough cacao! Otherwise it's just fat solids and sugar.​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​