Christians are fine with the idea of spending eternity knowing loved ones are being tortured. Does this suggest a hardness of heart?

Asked by: steffon66
  • They say our hearts are hardened and thats why we cant see the truth.

But having so little empathy for your family that you can worship a god thats going to torture them forever to me suggests a hardness of heart. They cant explain how our hearts are hardened its just a dogma with no evidence but i can actually explain why i think their hearts are hardened. What about when christians owned slaves because the bible advocates it? People did horrible things to people and no one cared. That to me suggests a hardness of heart. Religion is what hardens peoples hearts because it forces them to accept and like things that a normal human would find too appalling to accept and like.

• It certainly does

First of all, I'm not sure if it's possible to loves someone and have a hard heart. People who believe others go to hell and aren't bothered by it do have a hard heart. Nobody is perfect, I believe that there is a good number of people like this. Hell is horrible as it is described.

• Oh, look who it is...

I've been off this site for a few months to focus on school and here Steffon is, still wallowing away in his puddle of hate for Christians... I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

This question is completely loaded. You're assuming Christians are fine with this idea which puts us in a bad position. A real Christian is not, in fact, okay with their loved ones perishing and burning in hell, hence the reason why we try to go out an evangelize. I really hate how there's this black and white understanding of Christians. Either we're hated because we're trying to save the ones we love through the method we believe is correct, or we're hated because we're not trying to save the ones we love. Let's get a middle-ground in here, eh, anti-theists?

• Flawed Premise, True Christians don't believe in hellfire.

Not all Christians believe in a torture in hellfire. The bible does not support a belief in hellfire. Ecclesiastes 9:5 says that the dead are not conscious and know nothing. When Adam rebelled he was told he would die, not be tortured. When Job was suffering he wanted to be concealed in the grave.
    Simple research on the origin of the hellfire doctrine will show it's not scriptural. However if you were Satan and wanted to discredit God and paint him as just wouldn't you want a portion of Christianity to believe something that painted him as cruel? The apostles foretold apostasy would enter the congregation.
    What makes more sense, that the one that has been fomenting rebellion and lying about god has perpetrated this belief or that a god so kind that he would create all the beauty in our world and create us with a sense of justice would then torture people forever and more heinously than the worst psychopaths of history.

• The circumstances are inescapable.

Hypothetically, let's disregard that infinite pleasure and suffering are impossible.

Let's also assume, for the sake of argument, that the god of the Bible is real, and Heaven and Hell are the only two places one goes after death.

Heaven is for those that believe in God and accept Jesus as the savior of mankind, and Hell is for everyone else.

If this is the case, Christians don't have a choice in the matter. They can do their best to try and convince others to go to Heaven, but in the end it's a personal choice, of which MANY will not choose.

While they may not be fine with the idea of loved ones burning in Hell, it's not only beyond their control, but they might very well be indescribably happy just by being in Heaven.

The question you should have asked was "Would you worship a god that allowed loved ones to suffer for eternity"

This would still be hotly contested, but would produce very different answers and dialogue.

• Reciprocity does not imply indifference!

The people whose loved ones, they committed their bad deed against, too waited for the judgement day as they had a FAITH in god. That doesn't mean that they have "Hard hearts"....... In the same sense christians have FAITH in god's decision , but that does not imply that they are apathetic or heartless.

• I reject your premise.

The premise "Christians are fine with the idea of spending eternity knowing loved ones are being tortured. " is not only not proven it is not supported. Contrary to your premise, Christians are much maligned due to their proselytizing, especially of those they believe to be in danger or separation from God for eternity.

• Christians are fine with loved ones spending an eternity in hell?

I think that statement, in itself, shows that you may not be clear on a believer`s thought process. It is painful to tears at that thought! I am in NO way fine with the idea of unsaved people (loved ones or not) going to hell. I find it rather odd and extremely presumptuous for anyone to even say that. Wow.

PinValentine says2014-09-28T05:36:38.717
Most Christians don't even believe their loved ones are in hell no matter what they did. They are always in a "better place" But if some one they don't know is gay, they are definitely going to hell.
UtherPenguin says2014-09-28T08:40:35.380
You are putting words in Christians mouths, this wouldn't lead to a proper or fair discussion because the question is carried out in a very biased way, I'm not even Christian myself but even I find this type of bias annoying.
PinValentine says2014-09-28T08:41:31.413
It is what the majority of them say when a loved one passes away.
Dr_Obvious says2014-09-28T16:14:02.090
Troll on, buddy. Troll on.
PinValentine says2014-09-28T19:07:05.720
Troll? It's truth.
Dr_Obvious says2014-09-28T19:16:34.477
I was commenting on the OP. This guy is an anti-theist and a troll. He has no idea what he's talking about. As a Christian, I can say this with total assurance. Neither I, nor my Christian friends and family, feel that way.
PinValentine says2014-09-28T19:19:21.460
Oh, I see. I apologize. Would you agree though, that most, if not all Christians say that?
steffon66 says2014-09-28T19:56:36.650
Docter obvious
you and your christian friends dont feel what way? Fine with the "fact" that loved ones are going to burn in hell?

And how is the question biassed? I could say its biassed when a christian says our hearts are hardened and thats why we dont believe especially since they cant tell us how our hearts are hardened its a blind dogma. How the f is this question biassed you @#$%#$%
steffon66 says2014-09-28T19:57:58.083
You wont answer it because you cant have no supporting argument for your opinion hents why we call your faith blind faith. N
PinValentine says2014-09-28T19:58:39.377
Steffon is taking every word out of context.
Dr_Obvious says2014-09-28T20:06:42.397
@steffon66: I would try to set you straight on this topic, but it's pretty obvious that you don't really care to hear anything that would disagree with your position. You are a classic example of someone who is willfully ignorant. You don't want the truth. You want to wallow in sin, while rejecting Gods grace and salvation. You have damned yourself, and nothing I say can fix that. Only God can help you, but you won't let Him. Maybe, someday, you will see the light.