Christians: Do you think atheists and liberals need to stop twisting the Bible verse, "Judge not lest you be judged"?

Asked by: SegBeg
  • It's more about NOT being, 'judge, jury, and executioner.' But discerning whether someones behaviour is good or bad is 100% Biblical.

"Don’t judge others, or you will be judged. You will be judged in the same way that you judge others, and the amount you give to others will be given to you. “Why do you notice the little piece of dust in your friend’s eye, but you don’t notice the big piece of wood in your own eye?"

Although it's important to point out the 'hypocritical' component of the Lord's message, we should consider the meaning of the word 'judge' in its Biblical context.

The early Israelites were ruled by Judges, who had direct contact with God. Moses was the first Judge. The people knew the law and carried out their daily lives according to the law. Any disputes were taken before the Judge.

The Judge acted much like a judge does in today's court of law: he'd not only proclaim guilt or innocence, wrong or right, he also imposed a sentence. To impose a sentence is to hold some one's actions against them, just like what happens if you have a court case.

The most important of the use of the word 'judge' in the Bible is the day of judgement. God will hold every one accountable for their sins, unless they've made use of his gift of salvation through Christ.

But in today's world people often twist concept of 'judging' to shame others into looking away as they do the wrong thing. All the prophets and apostles spoke boldly to call people out on their wrong doings. They DID NOT think themselves better than, nor did they look down on their fellow man as unworthy of Christ's salvation.

• Yeah, it's not like we're stoning atheists and liberals to the death.

The verse of "judge not lest you be judged" used by atheists and liberals in the effort to expose Christians' hypocrisy of their self-religious stance was nothing more than a silly comeback to condone their own stupidity. It's almost like silencing you by resorting to the word of islamophobic. If you've done something stupid then you, of course, will be judged. It's not like I'm going to throw the big stones at you just cuz you were judged by me. Be grateful, lol.

If you don't like it, then you can tell that to the justice court's juries who has the belief of Christianity.

• Yes. It's kind of frustrates me having to continuously debunk it.

Atheists and liberals take that term to mean that we should just accept others doing even if they're clearly wrong. They are entirely inconsistent with that scripture. Okay, I we Christians are not supposed to judge others then I guess I should just let the thief continue stealing innocent people's personal belongings. I should just sit back and let the drug addict and alcoholic slowly destroy themselves. I should just let the person about to be hit by a car be hit by it possibly to their death or life of permanent impairment. I should just let the kid with bad grades fail and not be able to get into good schools or get a decent job. At least that's what I should do using the liberal's interpretation of the verse.

To clarify, "judge not lest you be judged" does NOT mean accepting other's wrong actions. What it means is that we should not hypocritically judge meaning we shouldn't convict another person of a sin we so clearly commit ourselves. For instance, you can't condemn homosexuality when you yourself are guilty of committing it. You'd be a hypocrite. That's what the verse means. Don't judge others of a wrongdoing you are clearly guilty of yourself and don't do it to put yourself on a higher pedestal. I just wish liberals and atheists would actually LISTEN to this when it has been repeated to the hundreds upon hundreds of times.

• Who decided that they are twisting it?

The verse speaks for itself and needs no further explanation. Maybe they are just mad that they forced themselves to stop a particular sin, while others are engaging in that sin. Had they truly repented they would have gratitude for being delivered from wanting to continue in that sin, and they would have compassion not judgement for those who are still entangled with less healthy desires. More power to any atheist or liberal who silences so called Christians who think they have a right to judge others.

@SegBeg - repeated by whom? I have only heard Christian fundamentalists spew that sentiment; I have never seen that idea represented by Christ's teachings in the Gospel.

• Well, that's convenient.

So the argument is that we CAN judge others, as long as we don't commit that particular sin? That's pretty neat. So as long as someone doesn't work on Sundays, they are free to condemn others for doing it, even though they get off on having sex with altar boys?

That smacks way too much of special pleading. We can cricitise sins as long as they are not OUR particular sins.

Surely the intention of this passage is to say "Nobody is perfect. Instead of wasting your time being concerned with what others are doing, set your own house in order first."

• Judge how? What are we talking about? Here's how Paul addressed it:

1 Corinthians 4:3-5
    3 I care very little, however, if I am judged by you or by any human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself. 4My conscience is clear, but that does not vindicate me. It is the Lord who judges me. 5Therefore judge nothing before the proper time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of men’s hearts.

There is still grace to be found by God in Christ for the man who seeks God's power to change him. So, no, we shouldn't judge or even judge those that speak harshly against those who don't have a personal relationship with God. We shouldn't even judge ourselves! We judge because we don't believe in God's ability to show mercy and intervene and change us. We judge because we have hate and are not willing to forgive! We want forgiveness but are reluctant to forgive the trespasses of others. We judge because we think God will not in his just time.