Cochlear implants for deaf infants: Should deaf infants be given cochlear implants?

• Yes they should be given cochlear implants

Infants should be given every chance they can to succeed at life, and by given them these implants they will be able to function just as normally as another child can. By given them the chance to actually hear and function they will not have to learn a different way of life, and if they really want them removed when they are older then can.

• Every advantage required.

Cochlear implants are an incredible technology that should be available to all those who are eligible to receive help from it. There are little to no medical problems associated with something that could greatly increase the quality of life of the recipient. Every child should have the advantage of being able to hear.

• I'm deaf with a cochlewr implant:

While I do see the benefits of cochlear implants I DISAGREE 100% about babies being implanted.
    First off, IT REQUIRES SURGERY. With surgery, there are risks, and whats the point of buying something if your not sure what your child wants. (No your child won't want surgery RIGHT NOW, they will want to be normal, but they are normal, it's just their hearing is different from yours.)
    Second, they won't be able to tell you if it's working or not, you can only guess by their face.
    Third, I have a cochlear implant, and with it I can't understand everything. I certanly hear more, but everyone usually at one point think that I have it off although it's still on. And it annoys me. It keeps falling off (probably because of my hair,) and I can't always understand people. If the infant is going to be surrounded by hearing people all its life, they should wait untill the child is able to put the implant on themselves. Also I would recommend sign language so that they can have another way of communicating if all else fails. And so that if they are at a meeting, they can have an interpreter to help them if they can't hear as we'll as the audiologist said they would. I think CI's are good to have, but I belive the child should get it when they can at least put it on themselves. It would be better if the child wants it.

Sometimes the ci gives me a headache or makes it worse. If your child takes off their implant, it's because it's bothering them. What if your baby wants it off, because it's causing a headache, but dosent know how? Let me tell you, pain (even a small one) is NEVER fun.

• Many risks involved.

First off, children are not in the mindset to make the decision of getting a cochlear implant. Also, for some there may be a fantastic result, but that does not mean everyone benefits from them. The risks of this far outweigh the positives of getting one- your child could develop meningitis and die- you never know. It is NOT safe.

• CIs are a partial solution, and in a competitive world this is not sufficient to be an "advantage".

The CI for a vast majority does not enable richly proficient hearing. Hearing some seems better than hearing none, if your goal in life is to gain information. However, if well being has anything to do with group inclusion and socialization, it is not the case that the average 4, 8, or 12 year old with an implant will feel the same as his non-implanted hearing friends, or his deaf friends. Conversely, the deaf 4, 8, or 12 year old has the opportunity to join a deaf community which is not only supportive, but happy with their identity. Every person lives "disadvantaged" compared with a group expectation of "normal." It seems the trend of an accepting society is to accept the individual who appreciates their make-up (deaf), more than the individual who modifies their make-up (implanted).