• Why couldn't they?

Our brains are the most complex thing in the universe but who is say that we won't be able to replicate it with machines. I for one think we will and probably not to far into the future. "Neural Networks" already exist. We just need to give them more neurons and connections between them. So once the complexity of the machine reaches something similar to humans I believe they will feel emotions. Think how they will feel when they read all the comments on this page ;)

• Why couldn't they?

• Why couldn't they?

• Example: Human Beings

Yes, very much so. Emotions are merely chemicals in the brain set off by certain stimuli. The human being is a biological machine run by the brain, the chemical center of most emotion. Therefore, we (technically) already have/are emotional machines. Thanks for your time, please don't be hurt by me calling your emotions mere chemicals, as I know emotions are important to many of you

• No way at all

Computers are programmed to do certain things.If it could be engineered to have a working brain that releases emotional hormones then it would not be right to call it a machine.A computer is an electronic device that stores and processes data.There is no way it can have let alone feel emotions.

• We are all biological machines

Look at any animal. Lets say a squirrel. It is simply a biological machine made to survive. It has motors (Muscles) and an energy source (Heart) and when it is just a little squirrel it doesn't do much. It is just programmed in it's DNA to survive. And I believe that consciousness is when a machine or animal gets smarter, understands things better and thus develops emotions. So the smarter the animal gets the more conscious it becomes. So really a machine could gain a consciousness. We just need to build it right and make it smarter and give it an understanding of things and we will have a living machine.

• Human Brains are Essentially Machines

Humans are without a doubt able to feel emotions. They are merely extremely complex machines. Machines in their current state cannot feel emotions, but as technology progresses, machines will have the capacity to learn, to feel emotions, and eventually may surpass even our brains. Emotions are essentially series of electrical pulses sent throughout the brain, which can be replicated by a machine. Though at a very basic level.

• What are emotions?

Emotions are our perceptions of logic... Our reactions. They root from our memories and experiences that shape the way we create and perceive these emotions. All human beings experience emotions differently, the common ground between us all is that the emotions we fabricate for ourselves seem real to us -and us alone. As an individual, I cannot experience the emotions that another has created, only my own reaction to them. If the machine perceives its reactions as emotions, and real to itself, then cannot it be said that the machine is feeling emotions just as you or I would? Has this machine not reached a level of being that is that we could consider to be 'human'?

• Machines run on logic, and emotion is illogical.

Emotion is a trait that I can wholeheartedly say will remain a living animal-exclusive trait because of this one example: humans are emotional creatures. We will allow our emotions to stand in the way of our mental and physical wellbeing, and we will allow our emotions to push us to a point of self destruction. Emotion serves mankind both as a weapon of mass destruction, and as an ultimate hinderance in our wellbeing and productivity.

This is why the man-made machine would never be able to have emotion; it is in direct conflict with the logic used to create it. It could only be programmed to simulate it, which is not the same as having emotion.

Why would a machine not be able to have emotion? It's simple. Let's take a calculator for instance; what does it do? It calculates. Why does it calculate? It is programmed to calculate. And therein lies our answer; the programming. Machines of all types are programmed to serve a certain purpose, and they do so to the best of their ability. Machines do not stop to think "am I getting paid enough for this?" or "is this really what I want to do with my life?" They just do, because it is their job, and it is necessary. The programming demands it.

You can program the machine with counterfeit emotion, of course, but this programming would be extensive and costly. Even then, there is a chance it would serve only as a market hazard as emotion encompasses more than love and pleasure, but hate and cruelty. Why? Let's look at human crime. People of all walks of life who have muddied their hands with evil acts have been empowered by "wants." They do not NEED to rape, they do not NEED to murder. They do it because it satisfies an emotional urge to inflict pain and suffering, not a physiological one. They do not look at the world in a logical way, and that is why they act the way they do.

No matter what a machine is programmed with, however, it will always act logically. There will always be a justification for its actions, and the only way you could get anything like emotion is if one day the system short-circuits and the device goes haywire, looking at the world in a completely illogical manner. Even then, it might not even be emotion, and it would be too dangerous to allow to exist and would have to be destroyed.

This is why machines will never feel emotions.

• No, machines could not ever feel emotions

Time for my three-point argument:

Could they?
    Not until we understand emotions properly. Until then, they will remain a human-exclusive trait.

Should they?
    Perhaps not. If machines could feel emotions, they could become as dangerous as humans. That wouldn't benefit anyone.

Would they?
    Again, science has limitations. I expect, if science had the ability, there would be a possibility. But would the people allow it? No. They've seen the Terminator films too many times.

So, therefore, I don't think machines will ever feel emotions.

• no impsosible .

Machines could never feel emotions. For example when a human feels emotions the brain releases
    different types of chemicals (in the brain) when your happy, sad , scared and nervous etc... It even releases DMT when you die. So how can a hunk of metal do that? Sure you can have software programmed in it to make it say and show you what it "feels" for humans to understand the robot better but never can a human recreate the actions and thoughts and FEELINGS of a brain from a human being

• No matter how much advancement we have in artificial intelligence, we will not be able to program emotion.

Emotion is the distinct feature that makes us human and makes us different from robotics. Although we may be able to program reaction to events, we will not be able to directly program emotion; it is too complex. The closest we can get and have come to is programming a mimic of a subject's emotions into the robot.

• No, just no!!!

How is this even an argument?

Not only is this way beyond the technological period with which we live in today along with the incomplete understanding of emotion itself. But straight up impossible and utter waste of breath from whomever is arguing in favor of machine emotion.

Stop it! Just stop!

• Machines feeling emotions is no machine at all.

Machines that "feel" emotions are programmed to feel emotions.

Machine operates on mathematics, numbers, and numbers have no meaning.

Emotions derive from human preferences. Machines do not prefer. Machines that prefer are programmed by humans and is more of a human than a machine.

To think that machines would ever attain emotions or that such an occurrence is an advancement to machinery could only mean we have become sufferer of anthropomorphism.

• A machine could never feel emotions.

Emotions are human feelings, and by definition, a machine will never be able to feel them. It might be possible for people to create an artificial life form that could feel emotions, but that would not really be a machine. If something artificial felt emotions, it would be a real living thing, not a machine.

• No but it depends to some extent on your definition of machine.

Short answer: no.
    Long answer: I think it depends on what we would define as a machine. Dictionaries define a machine as a 'piece of equipment' or something to that effect. I don't think that any machine, no mater how complex could ever experience anything like an emotion. Emotions are essentially strong reactions brought on by biological changes in our brains, in turn brought on by external stimuli. Since a machine does not have biological functions I believe emotion would be impossible.
    If we were to engineer an organic brain and program it with simple impulses such as to feed, survive etc and eventually grow, self improve and reproduce (providing it's physical form was advanced enough to allow these processes to take place) it may be accurate to describe it's response to stimuli as emotion. However once it reaches a state where it is self aware and experiences the world around it in a conscious way it would not be accurate to call it a machine, more of an engineered life form.