Could 'equal pay for equal work' enforcement be stronger?

• Equal pay enforcement could be much stronger

The labor movement in the United States is not particularly strong in 2014. Enforcement of equal pay for equal work rules are one of the many areas where workers need more protection. Enforcement of these rules would help out individual workers. But, even more than that, it would have a great effect on the economy because workers would have more money to spend that they would then put into the economy as a whole.

• Law Relies on Lawsuits

The unfortunate thing about "equal pay for equal work" laws is that enforcement rarely happens due to the nature of the law. Many times, these provisions give workers an opportunity to sue their employers for wages due to them. When you factor in court costs, legal fees for lawyers and the time needed to take off work to deal with these issues, many times a lawsuit becomes cost prohibitive and simply isn't worth it. Paying $5,000 in legal fees to try to get $3,000 in pay just doesn't make sense.

• Women Still Earn Less

Despite the passing of the Amendment, it's been cited by feminist scholars and researchers that women make less, on the average, than their male counterparts. If anything, they should be earning more, given that they often have families and daycare costs to support. I would argue that salary statistics should be submitted for government oversight to correct this.

• It Needs To Be

I believe equal pay for equal work does need stronger enforcement. During my time in the workforce I have been employed by several companies that failed to follow federal wage laws. Companies are putting employees in a situation where they fear reporting such problems because they can't afford to lose their jobs.