Death of a Celebrity: Should it be a big deal personally among fans?

Asked by: PartTimeHipster
  • I grew up to robin Williams

To people who are not a big fan no it would not be a big deal. I remember watching the news footage from when Michael Jackson died. With all the respect that he deserves I personally wasn't really effected. And I'm not collapsed on the floor balling for robin Williams either. But he was a childhood figure for me and he was an inspiration for many. So no his death doesn't hold the importance of a presidents assasination or the world ending. But its still a big deal

• I Think So

Celebrity deaths are always going to be a personal affair to fans, because celebrities are public figures. They have their own personal lives, which are private, but their body of work is shared by all, which does create a connection of some type.
    In the case of someone like Robin Williams, Fred Rogers, or Jim Henson, we may not have personally known these people, but that doesn't make their impact on our lives any less significant. These 3 examples were personalities that illustrated stories and touched our hearts, and were a part of our lives, even if it was just because of that one moment your family got together to watch Aladdin, or the Muppets.
    We need people that can make us smile, and in some cases, cry. So when one of these rare people pass away, it is only fitting that we pause and remember the stories they have shared, and the emotions they inspired. Sometimes people do go overboard, but hey, we're all wired a little differently.
    One thing that is undeniable however, is that on the sad days when we lose one of these rare and inspiring people, the world gets just a little bit sadder.

• Fans may grieve respectfully

Celebrities have the name, budget and often the media to make an impact on many people's lives. And they often do in one way or another. We need to respect that those who feel influenced and inspired by these people grieve when these people die. It seems quite innocent and idealistic to feel sorry for the death of someone who did not return your love. Other than family members do celebrities not offer affection that reassures you of your affection.

However is it different than loosing a person you have known in person and that actively intended to move you to your best and Fans need to stay in respectful boundaries that honour the grief of those who lost close relatives. A celebrities death is not a reason to make a scene like the world is ending. This is would be inappropriate and tacky.

• It's a natural response.

If you admire someone, i.e. actor, comedian, athlete, singer, etc., it isn't unusual to feel sad when they die. If they die suddenly, that magnifies those feelings. It isn't the same as losing a co-worker, or family member. Still, it tends to affect fans. Some more profoundly than others.

I was living in Memphis, TN, when Elvis Presley died. That was fan hysteria unlike anything I've ever seen. I was a teenager, at the time, but I remember it well. Thousands of fans converged on the city -- making Elvis Presley Blvd. Near impassable. Eventually, the city had to close the street. Fans were crying wildly. Some were almost suffering shock. One had a heart-attack and died. Two were hit by a car. It was madness. And it stayed that way for days. Even now, decades later, fans maintain a steady flow to his mansion & grave.

Maybe, the death of a celebrity shouldn't be a big deal? But the reality is the opposite. For whatever reason, these "stars" glow brightly in our eyes. They entertain us and inspire us. When they die, we lose that. And, perhaps, that's what fans mourn most of all -- not the person as much as the joy they gave us?

• No, It shouldn't

I was a big fan of Robin Williams and my friends and I were inspired by his activity. But I didn't know him personally, therefore, it is not like "losing a family member" as some say. Does a tribute to a dead celebrity mean as much as the way his family and friends feel? No.