Defense attorney in trial of Oregon Standoff defendant tased for arguing that his client should be released immediately: Are officers too quick to use force?

• Yes, Everywhere this is a problem.

The "Black Lives Matter" movement is a prime example of this. Police have killed several innocent people by use of excessive force. Why not train the officers at apprehending suspects peacefully, or with less force? I do not think it was justified that they tased that defense attorney. He was not acting violent towards anyone.

• Police use force too quickly

Police are a bit too trigger-happy these days, as indicated in the Oregon Standoff incident. Protesters were campaigning against the pipeline, arguing that it's a dangerous thing for the environment. These protester should have been left in peace because of the right to free speech, instead of being browbeaten by the police.

• Yes, officers are too quick to use force.

Yes, officers are too quick to use force, and they must be trained to only use force if their lives are in danger. Too often they use force knowing they can say they feared for their lives. But the reality is, they simply tased someone because they were angry or upset.

• Yes, they are.

Officers are often power hungry people who think they are always right. They constantly prejudge a situation, not because their training tells them what is going on, but because they have a gut feeling about who is right and who is wrong. The police force attracts some of the worst people.

• Arguments against yours

Top argument- I do agree that the people protesting the pipeline are not getting their justice i the media. Police are taking action too, however, police have not been beating people down. They have merely kept the construction workers and protesters safe from one another. Say the police didn't intervene, chaos would erupt and the peaceful protesters would no longer be peaceful eventually escalating to threatening the safety of both parties.

Middle argument- They are trained to use force if their lives are in danger and also when others lives are in danger. This may include going after a criminal with force even if people are not in that moment in danger. I can agree that there are individuals who unjustly, in your example, tase someone but the majority of officers are doing their job correctly.

Bottom topic- Your argument is not even an argument. You are just generalizing police in a negative context solely based on a few individuals who did something wrong. I personally know many police officers and all of them I respect as well as hold them to a high standard. I have not had a reason to question whether or not they should be on the police force yet.