Democrats have dropped their assault weapons ban. Is this a good idea?

• Yes, of course it is

"assault weapons" make up less than 2% of gun homicides, the 2 worst mass shootings in the entire WORLD were not committed by them (which dismisses the argument that they have the ability to kill more people) and in the past TEN YEARS, less than 70 people have been killed by "assault weapons" in mass shootings? It just makes no sense. Not to mention, 90% of law enforcement officers say they do NOT support a ban on them and an "assault weapons" ban would have NO POSITIVE EFFECT.

What is the point in banning something if NOTHING POSITIVE WILL COME OUT OF IT?

• It's our constitutional right!

In the constitution it doesn't say the right of the people to keep and bear arms with certain firearms shall not be infringed. And what liberals call assault weapons are actually guns that look like assault weapons, the military definition of assault rifle is something with fully-automatic capability, the guns that their trying to ban are normal guns that look scary. And the constitution was created to limit the power of the federal government not the people. The government has no right to pick and choose what right it can limit, or prohibit.

• Yes sir it is.

The bill would have never have passed, it would take up too much time and draw attention away from more important things like, jobs. What Americans own for hunting and self defense is none of the governments business. Law abiding citizens don't kill anybody. It's stupid to exploit these tragedies to push an agenda. Let the states make their own laws. What works for the commies in NY is going to piss of the citizens in Texas, Arizona ect.

• People actually kind of need those things.

The things that they were classifying as assault weapons are common weapons that are used widely in recreational shooting, hunting, and for self-defense. The most commonly talked about weapon in the AR-15.

Well, this particular weapon is very light weight, making it a good weapon for women and smaller men, who tend to have trouble using traditional guns like full sized rifles and shotguns. This weapon tends to use smaller caliber ammo, which makes it much better for small game hunting than traditional shotguns and rifles. The semi-automatic design and ability to hold larger amounts of ammo also comes in handy when you're hunting for feral hogs, who travel in packs and are huge, or are being attacked by a group of criminals.

There are a lot of very legitimate, very reasonable uses for assault weapons. Taking them away is to leave some of the most vulnerable people in our population without the proper tools with which to protect themselves.

• No. This is a terrible thing.

Who, besides military personnel needs an assault weapon? No one. Absolutely freaking no one. I can't believe that anyone would wish to have such a weapon in their possession for ANY reason. I don't care if it's only for target practice, or for hunting grizzly bears, or self-defense, there is no justifiable reason to carry, possess or procure one of these weapons unless you belong to the military and are deployed. If people, if gangs didn't have these weapons, Police wouldn't need them either. The arms race cycle needs to be broken.

• No dropping the assault weapons ban is not a good idea.

I hope that there will be a study now on how many people have to die because a group of gun advocates got their way. We do not need to have people running around America freely with assault rifles. I would be willing to bet that half haven't been instructed in the use of assault rifles or when to use deadly force. Neither the police nor the public at large need anyone opening fire on a teenager with a plastic gun because they think their lives are in danger. They will probably kill innocent people in their terror and ignorance. I was taught to shoot a rifle at an early age. I was told if I ever have to use a gun to shoot to kill. I don't own a gun or any firearms. I do not want to shoot to kill anyone. God forbid if the world develops a shoot first ask later mentality. I would be more afraid of the public at large then the criminals. At least they have a clear idea how to shoot a gun and who they want to kill. All assault rifles should be banned. Then it would be hard for the whole American public to be ready to fight for their family honor. Better to keep the assault rifles in the hands of the criminals. Fewer arms are better. And I do not believe that the only good gun is in the hands of a good person. Even good people make mistakes, like fathers shooting their children while family members watch. Or their children shoot themselves playing guns.