• Yes and he also cared about what was morally right

Lincoln cared about slaves and he realized it was unethical and morally indefensible to own slaves, no matter what your religious view, so he put a stop to it. If Abe hadn't cared about the slaves, he would not have risked the countries security and future by initiating the Civil War... Any moral man would have cared about them.

• I would say yes

I would say so Yes, Abraham Lincoln did care about the slaves. To what degree he cared is more of the debatable question. I do not think civil liberties that we believe in today were gaining much respect back then, but the act of freeing the slaves is loud enough to express how he cared about them.

• I would say yes

• I would say so

Yes, Abraham Lincoln did care about the slaves. To what degree he cared is more of the debatable question. I do not think civil liberties that we believe in today were gaining much respect back then, but the act of freeing the slaves is loud enough to express how he cared about them.
    Report Post

• Abraham Lincoln DID care about the slaves.

Abraham Lincoln wrote the Emancipation Proclamation witch helped end slavery. He also relized it was unethical and morally indefensible to own slaves. I needed 28 more words so i am using my favorite letter A a aaaa aaaa a aaa a aaaaaa aaaa aaa a aaaa aa aaaa aaaaaa aaaaaaaa.

• Pushed for Emancipation Proclamation

Many claim this to be a war tactic or even a political strategy, even though it's not true. If he wanted a war to be prevented, he would have never pushed for the south to free the slaves in the first place. Lastly, many people OPPOSED freeing the slaves, even many in the north (especially towards the end of the war). Lincoln kept pushing for their freedom even without any large support of it.

• His actions strongly suggest he cared about the human condition of all people, slaves included.

Thomas Jefferson once said, "I have ever judged of the religion of others by their lives, for it is in our lives, and not from our words, that our religion must be read. By the same test the world must judge me." While Abraham Lincoln was a man of great words, he was also a man of even greater actions. Mr. Lincoln took action in favor of slaves at a time when a great current of opposition pushed against him. He ultimately gave his own life as currency for the uprightness he reflected upon mankind.

• Absolutely he did.

He did everything in his power to free the slaves, despite strong opposition from the rest of the house. The man was assassinated for his freeing of the slaves. He put the act in motion and did everything he could to get it passed because he knew it was the right thing to do.

That's what makes Abraham a legend. He is a reminder of the freedom we enjoy as Americans.

• I would say so

• No, he was just holding the country together.

There were a lot of factors that went into the Civil War. People often boil it down to slavery because that was considered the breaking point. As far as Lincoln was concerned freeing the slaves was the only way to keep the country together. He did the right thing for the wrong reasons, but in the end things got done.

• Simply a war strategy.

Emancipation Proclamation was simply a military strategy to help save the Union. It was for Abraham Lincoln to prove he is still in power and will not recognize the confederate states of America as its own country. At the time Lincoln wrote the proclamation, war was going badly for the Union and the nation was almost defeated.. Lincoln had wrote in a letter to Horace Greeley “What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union.” This was not an attempt to help humanity, but to preserve the Union. The main point of the letter was to explain how he would do whatever it took to save the Union. He had to do this gradually because of the fear that the Union may forever be split in two. This was a way to stop the rebellion and enforce his power. Lincoln issued the Proclamation as a result of his military authority with the idea of preserving the Union in mind, not as an attempt for slaves to be equal.

• Political decision just like today

Lincoln was first and foremost a politician. He considered negros to be less than white people in every single way. He never thought freed slaves would be able to live among white people. As such Lincoln was actually before and throughout his presidency a big advocate of sending the slaves back to Africa. He did not "care" about the slaves anymore than any current or former US President cares about the blacks in Los Angeles (including O-boy). The way we paint these guys and the things they say are based on popular opinion and will do anything to get elected. In Lincolns case America loves a hero and a great upstanding individual (Honest Abe??), so history paints him a certain way. However the reality is while his actions proved to benefit the slaves by freeing them and living among the whites, that isn't really what Lincoln really wanted.

In some ways he was correct, the blacks have gone through over 10 generations and they still lead America in crime, poverty, you name it. Will they ever get over slavery or is their race just prone to this type of behavior? Time will tell.