Did NBC make a wrong move when picking between late night hosts Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien?

• Conan is by far the funniest late night talk show host.

He is always on his feet, quick witted, and just plain hilarious. His humor is just as unique as his hair. He's also much more talented then Jay lame-o. I guess it isn't that bad having to watch him on TBS. I think NBC regrets it now that they have to put Jimmy Fallon there now the Jay is really ready to retire.

• Jay should've stayed gone.

I like Conan O'Brien and I watch his show regularly on TBS. But I can also say that as the host of NBC's Tonight show, he just wasn't a very good choice, NBC made a mistake, he's much better on basic cable. But giving that show back to Jay Leno was also a huge mistake, and a public relations nightmare for Jay and the network. They would have been much better off mothballing the Tonight show permanently, or at least until a new host was found.

• No matter the opinion, he deserved to stay.

Jay Leno had left NBC and Conan had gotten the great spot that they had given back to Jay. No matter who is better, Jay Leno left. He gave away his spot and Conan got it. It is unfair to just give the spot to Jay Leno because they had disregarded that fact that Conan had received the spot when Jay gave it up. He be allowed to waltz back in sand take it. Think. If you were at work and your co-worker told your boss that you want the best stapler and the boss gave it to you, would that person have the right to just come back and take it?

• NBC treated Conan O'Brien unfairly, when they were picking a late night host.

NBC granted Conan O'Brien the late night show and allowed him to host several episodes, which all got good ratings. When Jay Leno decided he wanted to come back, NBC dropped O'Brien and allowed Leno to take back the spot he had vacated. Regardless of public opinion of either host, it was unfair and unprofessional for a big network, like NBC, to treat someone in such a manner, especially when disregarding any contracts that had been signed.

Posted by: BashfulEmil60
  • Picking between Leno and O'Brien was a really bad PR decision.

By choosing Leno over Conan, especially before Conan ever got a chance to build an audience, the studio showed they were reactionary and conservative and afraid to take risks. They also lost a lot of support from people who felt Conan was wronged in the situation and should have been given a fair chance.

Posted by: HumdrumMilo83
  • I do think NBC appeared unethical in their dealings with Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien.

While it was easy to see that O'Brien's version of Late Night had not attained the same ratings as Leno's, NBC alienated a large portion of their audience by dealing with the dilemma in such a one-sided way. Surely, they could have reached a compromise that would have satisfied both hosts.

Posted by: ToughEfrain26
  • Yes, because I believe the network should have honored their contract with Conan O'Brien.

I personally was appalled when Conan O'Brien was dropped, and Jay Leno was given back the late night host position. O'Brien should have been allowed the run the length of his contract, before deciding whether to return Leno to the position. O'Brien had not hosted long enough for it to be determined yet whether he could have been successful in the position. Leno should not have been allowed to easily return to a position he vacated, due to the failure of his newer show. The whole affair was bad business in my opinion.

Posted by: Kri5Java
  • Most definitely by axing Conan O'Brien NBC made a huge mistake.

It was unfair to begin with to get Conan out after Jay had failed at his early time slot. Maybe because it was certain that Conan would become the hit of every night and Jay did not want to let go of it. I stopped watching Jay a long time ago and who knows if ratings are even up at NBC.

Posted by: StripperMor
  • NBC shouldn't have gotten rid of Conan. They broke their word and did nothing but make themselves (and Leno) look bad.

The scuffle that emerged after the decision to boot Conan from the 11:30 timeslot on NBC was reminiscent of the very same one that occurred after Johnny Carson announced he was retiring. However, the results this time around were even more disastrous. NBC looked like a bunch of businesspeople who weren't entirely sure what they were doing. Leno looked like an egomaniac who wanted his old show back. And Conan, meanwhile, got left out in the cold, though he's doing a lot better for himself these days.

Posted by: dancergirl
  • NBC made the wrong choice when picking Jay Leno over Conan O'Brien for the late night show.

It was a mistake for NBC to chose Jay Leno over Conan O'Brien to host the late show. Jay Leno came out looking like a big whining baby who gets whatever he wants. Who wants to watch that? Leno reeks of excess. He looks like he eats 1 pound of top sirloin each night. Conan is a sleeker type. His mean, lean, and hungry look fits better with today's harsh economic realities. No one wants to watch the frivolous and fat Leno any longer.

Posted by: S Morales
  • Jay is funnier overall

I always seem to be in a minority on this but think Jay is a better comedian. Also it doesn't make sense to blame him for a decision NBC made.

• Jay Leno is a better host than Conan.

Jay Leno is a much better talk show host than Conan O'Brien. Conan is rude, unprofessional, and, all in all, not very funny. Leno has had huge ratings for years. Not only has he got seniority, but he's funny. Conan O'Brien does not compare to Jay Leno, and never will.

Posted by: ElatedMyron96
  • NBC did not make a wrong move when picking between late night hosts Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien, because each comedian caters to a different audience.

NBC did not make a wrong move when picking between late night hosts Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien, because each comedian caters to a different audience. Conan is younger and move vulgar, so, my choice is Jay, because I am older and less vulgar. The choice is based on personal taste and standards. Neither group of fans is right or wrong. They just prefer either Conan or Jay, with very few people torn between the two.

Posted by: jackprague94
  • No, NBC didn't make a wrong move by picking Jay Leno over Conan O'Brien, because Jay Leno has a wider audience.

Jay Leno appeals to a wider range audience than Conan O'Brien. Therefore, NBC went with its best interests by picking Jay Leno. In the long run, NBC will realize that they made the right choice by going with the real true veteran in the late night talk show genre. In this case, even if they would have picked Conan O'Brien, they would not have made a "wrong" pick either.

Posted by: R3ciP3Saye
  • NBC did not make a wrong choice in choosing between the two because what was in place was not working.

Jay Leno had proven himself at the late night time slot. NBC let him go before he was really ready and replaced him with Conan O'Brien who is at this time in his career better suited for late, late night. When Conan didn't work as well as they would have liked at the 11:30 hour, they gave him other options that he didn't want to take. It was a move that was in the best interest of the company and that is what business is.

Posted by: OnfBIeak
  • NBC did not make a wrong decision by bringing back Jay Leno.

I believe Jay Leno is funnier than Conan.
    Jay Leno makes me laugh when I see the Headlines on Monday evening.
    Jay Walking and the other skits he has are original and pretty darn funny. Jay interacts with his guest as though they are his friend.

Posted by: 5ch00IWor
  • I do not think that NBC made a wrong move in picking between the late night hosts because it is well within their right to do so.

Although NBC's decision may have been carried out in a less than favorable way, NBC had every right to pick between the hosts. Just because we all would have liked to see the situation go in a different direction, NBC had their ratings in mind and felt that this route was in their best interest.

Posted by: gale4ka09