I think that President Obama gave a well thought out State of the Union Address. Since this is his last year in office, he detailed everything he accomplished and what he is trying to accomplish before the next president is sworn in. Additionally, because it is an election year, he also gave many points that would help the democratic candidates out because he does not want a Republican president and this really was necessary from a Democratic president.
President Obama delivered a satisfactory last State of the Union. Though he focused on broad themes about America's future he did suggest a very optimistic approach towards several critical issues confronting America at the moment. His last State of the Union was satisfactory and historic, leaving Americans with a message of hope.
I liked that his State of the Union was different from his others he has done in the past, which were a laundry list of all the policies he wants Congress to call. I liked that he discussed what is great about America and said that it is still the best country in the world.
I watched the state of union address last night, and let me say this....... PATHETIC!!!!!! I can't believe.... He pulls his usual same crap about how everything is lovey-dovey and fine, when we still have problems that have been around with little change! I laugh in the face of stupidity that is appearing with guy!!!!! HAHAHA!!!!!
The President's last State of the Union was surprisingly lukewarm. While the President addressed significant issues such as terrorism, he did not provide a compelling vision for his last year in Office. Security issues have grown exponentially in importance over the past few years as ISIS has extended its tentacles across several continents. This is no time for the President to go into caretaker mode. He must be assertive on vital issues right up to his last day in Office.
Fact Check: Top 10 Lies in Obama’s State of the Union
Obama SOTU 2016 (Chip Somodevilla / Getty)Chip Somodevilla / Getty
by JOEL B. POLLAK
12 Jan 2016
President Barack Obama promised his final State of the Union address would be short. Dana Bash of CNN called it “low-energy.” One thing it was not was accurate–or honest. Here are Obama’s top ten lies, in chronological order.
1. “[W]e’ve done all this while cutting our deficits by almost three-quarters.” This is pure fiction. Obama has doubled the national debt, and it’s not because he cut the deficit. Rather, he spent staggering amounts of money in his first months in office–which he assigns, dishonestly, to the previous fiscal year, under George W. Bush. He “cut” (i.E. Spent more gradually) from that spending, but only under protest, after Republicans took the House in 2010.
(Update: It is true that Obama’s 2015 budget deficit was about 25% of his 2010 deficit. But he referred to “deficits,” plural. Until last year, all of Obama’s deficits were worse than all of Bush’s deficits except for the last two.)
2. “Anyone claiming that America’s economy is in decline is peddling fiction.” With that line, Obama took a shot at his would-be Democratic successors, as well as his Republican critics. But the truth is that despite the slow recovery–the slowest since World War II–labor force participation is the lowest it has been in decades. Wages are stagnant, household incomes still have not recovered from the recession, and young people see a bleak future.
3. “That’s what the Affordable Care Act is all about. It’s about filling the gaps in employer-based care so that when we lose a job, or go back to school, or start that new business, we’ll still have coverage.”That is a cruel joke, given that Obamacare canceled insurance coverage for millions of Americans who did not change jobs. It also raised deductibles and premiums so high that many insurance companies are leaving the Obama exchanges totally.
4. “Food Stamp recipients didn’t cause the financial crisis; recklessness on Wall Street did.” Actually, food stamp recipients, metaphorically speaking, were indirectly responsible–as well as Wall Street sharks. Obama leaves out the government’s role, under the Community Reinvestment Act, in pushing mortgages on people who could not afford them, and in backing the derivatives based on those mortgages that ultimately burst the whole bubble.
5. “We’ve protected an open internet…”. Obama’s policy of Net Neutrality has turned Internet service providers into public utilities under an ancient regulatory regime. The result has been a sharp decline in broadband investment and a much less free and open system. In addition, the Obama administration is rushing to shift control of ICANN to the international community, which will ensure that the Internet is less free, and subject to overseas censorship.
He said he regrets the divisiveness between parties now, yet his whole presidency he demonized opponents with straw man arguments rather than negotiating fairly. He blamed them for shutdowns, but refused to negotiate. He tried to set off a stock market crash to "show them" their faults (2013). In this very speech, he used bogus rhetoric against the GOP, even while crying buffalo tears that they didn't get along. All show, no go.