Did Pope John Paul II do too much to protect Rev. Marcial Maciel, the disgraced founder of the Legion of Christ?

• No, the Pope didn't protect Rev. Marcial Maciel too much.

I do not think that Pope John Paul 2 did too much to protect the disgraced founder of the Legion of Christ Rev. Marcial Maciel. I think that his reasoning for his course of action was due to the opinion that he though Marcial Maciel was being unfairly judged. I think he only thought it was just to protect him

• He should have been disgraced.

Yes, Pope John Paul II did too much to protect Rev. Marcial Maciel, the disgraced founder of the Legion of Christ, because Pope John Paul II did far too much to protect wrongdoers in the church. Paul was no better at dealing with Maciel than he was with the child sexual abuse perpetrated by the priests.

• Yes, they always do

The one thing everyone can agree on about the Catholic church is that they will do anything and everything to keep their own out of trouble and appearing innocent in the public's eye. I have personally witnessed this in my life time but I am sure it has been going on much longer than that. Pope John Paul II did too much to protect Rev Marcia Maciel like all the others.

• Pope John Paul II was wrong in protecting Marcial Maciel

Marcial Maciel acted in ways that were deplorable for even a catholic, much less a reverend. The Pope made a mistake by offering so much forgiveness. He should have been punished so that the church could set an example. This sort of activity can not be condoned or forgiven too easily or the people will lose faith in the church.

• Yes, there is too much corruption in big religion

I think that many leaders in many sectors protect people who have disgraced their organization out of fear of bringing more light to the matter. I think they are wrong. In my opinion the organization would look better if it would address the problem instead of pretending it doesn't even exist.