Did you purposefully decide what your sexuality would be? (whether you would be attracted to people of the same sex/opposite sex/both/etc)

Asked by: TheGingerPirate
  • It is a choice.

There is no evidence to support that people chose who they are attracted, the same as there is no proof people are "born that way." I personally believe that it is chosen on a subconscious level, so the person may not necessarily be in control of the "choice." This does not mean I disagree with homosexuality, however.

• I chose. I chose by deciding which temptations I would follow and which I would put out of my mind.

The question is if we chose. I can remember the whole of my sexuality as a I grew up, and I can definitively say that I chose. From 5 years old when I experimented with friends to my adulthood, I have chosen which sexual temptations that I would follow and which that I would not follow.

I'm not saying that I can just choose at a whim. I'm saying that when the temptation came, I chose to follow it, and those temptations I chose not to give place in my life never became a part of my life.

• It's not a choice.

I never woke up and just decided to be straight. I just was and I've known it since at least the age of five. And if sexuality was a choice, why would anyone choose to be gay when the rest of the world is so hostile towards anyone who isn't straight?

• Not a choice

I don't believe that anyone chooses who they will be attracted to. I believe that the entire concept of sexuality being a choice is flawed. There is no evidence to support that sexuality is something that is chosen and this introduces a fatal flaw to the idea that homosexual individuals choose to be homosexual.

• It's a bit of both; the mind has to overcome conditioning

I was raised in an environment where homosexuality was not considered "sin" (people where at least open minded to mind their own business) but that meant that nobody talked about at all.

Sexuality is also triggered by what you know and it's hard to imagine sexual acts with same-sex-partners if you have no concept for it.
    I personally develop romantic and/or sexual feeling for a certain person seldomly and that's why it took my a while and self-questioning to deal with my bisexuality.

Sexuality has a lot of facets such as people that require long friendships for attraction or prefer people that are physically or mentally fit. You don't actively choose these preferences but you can purposely explore them and probably open your mind in a way you did not consider before, because the desires where not overwhelming.

Homosexuality, Pansexuality, Heterosexuality, Bisexuality - they all have different forms and your mind and characters is as much part of that as what you are born with.

Sfaulkner says2014-07-10T00:45:50.283
If sexuality were a choice there would be more gay people.