Dividing California: Should California be divided into two separate states?

• Give people who live in the interior a chance

Right now, people from the San Francisco Bay Area (where I live) and Greater Los Angeles run the state. They make sure that the economy works for them, while farmers, transportation workers and blue collar workers have no say and who's economy is being destroyed by the coastal elites governing the state. The solution is to split California in two, this way, the people on the coast can continue to govern themselves as they see fit, and the people in the interior can go in a different direction and govern themselves as they see fit. Whether California stays together or splits in two, nothing will change for those on the coast, but people on the interior will be given a chance.

• Conservatives have no voice

Anyone with a rational centrist or conservative viewpoint is shouted down by a cacophony of strident liberal anarchists in this state. Let's quarantine this disease into a manageable district that can shout at itself to its hearts content.

Of course we would need to simultaneously have a discussion about annexing Rhode Island to avoid having to change our flag (I vote Connecticut, but I'm not married to it).

• I'm Not From California, But I say Go For It

As a citizen of Washington State I can relate to the arguments in favor of splitting California, there have been a couple efforts to split Washington along the Cascades, and for very similar reasons. California, and Washington, award electoral votes on a winner take all basis, and have both pretty consistently voted Democrat in Presidential elections since about 1988, their votes are controlled by the deeply liberal Democrat Bastions that are their port cities along west cost. In addition their representatives, and governors are for all practical purposes elected by those same cities, and population centers, while in both states the further inland you get the more republican you get. The result is that the voice of about half of both sates is drowned out by the large and extremely liberal cities along the west cost of the U.S., these citizens are almost left without elected officials that understand their way of life which is wholly different from the life of a voter living in Seattle, LA, San Fran, and Sacramento.

• Needs to happen!

Liberals are out of control out there! They need mental help and it is not fair for the Republicans to have to put up with them libtards! Liberals are violent people and should all be put in prison! Dividing the state is a must because of all the liberal violence!

• Northern California Needs Its Own Vote

The southern half of the state has an overwhelming population advantage and therefore carries the vote of the entire state. The problem is that many Californians are republican and do not agree with the ultra liberal stance the state takes. Dividing the state would allow for the actual will of the populace to be heard. Which would be closer to 50/50 than you might think.

• This is disenfranchisement of dissenting opinion.

When you have a massive population in the south of California that overwhelms the vote of the North and makes it useless, it is either time to add proportional representation of delegates or split a state.

To not do such is to say the votes of dissenters shouldn't be counted and that any who disagree with the will of a majority should be silenced in not only a state election but also a national. The population of California is too great and too much of a giveaway of free delegates and the power California has needs to be reassessed to a standard of reasonableness.

Split the state in the middle or add proportional representation

• It absolutely should

We're governed by the representative from the Bay Area and Los Angeles. Taxation without representation is what it is. Los Angeles just loves letting illegals in from Mexico... For the votes. The Bay Area can keep their homosexual mental problems. Libtards deserve to suffer the fate of your own votes at your own expense. Idiots!

• Yes it should then all of u r stupid who said no

It said 80 percent of water goes to California . Have was the hells angels and the Mongols were the bottom by san Diego. . It would be better with no gov at all. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

• Sure, lets split California

I'm all in favor of splitting California up into two different states because I'm a Democrat.

Right now, California gets two Senators. Both of these Senators figure to be Democrats far into the forseeable future. If California was split into two states then that would mean an additional two Senators would be added to Congress and both of these Senators would be Democrats far into the forseeable future.

This is also the reason California would never be split into two states. There is NO possible way that Republicans would accept another two Democratic Senators being added to Congress. Even if the people of California wanted to split their state in half, such a measure would be fought tooth and nail by those who wish to keep the balance of power as it stands now.

• Hi guys my name is sam

Proponents of a ballot initiative aimed at splitting California into six states (or, more simply, one proponent: venture capitalist Tim Draper) may have collected enough signatures to put the initiative on the ballot. This is the beauty and the annoyance of California's initiative and referenda system. If you have enough cash, getting something on the ballot is relatively trivial, meaning that relatively trivial ideas -- like splitting California into six different states -- can be put up for a vote. (Happily, in this instance the federal government would have to sign off on the idea, which it will never do, because, come on.)

• The boss has the answer

Hi guys today we have me up and i will roast everyone who disagrees with me. By the way my name is Daniel Zimbitskyy and im answering for my little brother. We both are from the school WPCS and we have a debate too. So i vote california not to be divided because i vote for it and no matter what you guys say i still have the right answer and again im saying NO MATTER WHAT YOU SAY, I WILL WIN THE DEBATE if you are not agree with me. But if you are on my side thumbs up and that is what I call cool. Just chill

• What is the point

It's total BS and I'm tired of everyone in southern California who are for it pretending that this move is anything more than Los Angeles and San Fransisco being so self-indulgent that they want to be their own state. We all know that this is the only reason, there's nothing else. I live in northern California and I know what the southerners think of us, they think we're all hippie potheads which isn't true. The presence is there, yeah, but not all of us are like that. I really agree withthis statement

• Leave California How it is

California should not be divided because it would look awkward. I love to live in a free country and state and i don't want any division in this state. If we divide California then How will we go to places that we need to. For an example if i was to go to whispering pines school (which is located in Plymouth) How will I get there if I were to live in lake Tahoe. The only way would be to cross the state and go to school. That sucksssss. I dont want to go to school by crossing a state

• No, is good

Next great depression dad d d d d d d d d d d f f f f f f f f f ff f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f ff f f ff f

• What is the point?

As a citizen of Wisconsin, I see no reasoning behind this, except perhaps the arrogance of citizens of the major cities. Also, the time and money spent on this could be better spent. There are far more important issues that deciding whether or not a state should be split in two.

• No, Total BS Reasoning.

It's total BS and I'm tired of everyone in southern California who are for it pretending that this move is anything more than Los Angeles and San Fransisco being so self-indulgent that they want to be their own state. We all know that this is the only reason, there's nothing else. I live in northern California and I know what the southerners think of us, they think we're all hippie potheads which isn't true. The presence is there, yeah, but not all of us are like that. They've cultivated this idea of what California "really" is and have spread it around so efficiently to the rest of the country that most people are legitimately surprised that California exists further north than San Fransisco. I wish I was making that up. If there are other reasons for the split, I say prove it. Let us in the north keep the name California and you in the south become Jefferson.

• The government has no time and money for it.

Currently there are 53 representatives for California in the government. There is no way not one representative is from Jefferson state or some smaller area in California. Also, splitting a big state will take big bucks. Does the government really have the money and time to perform these actions? All of these actions are to set up a slightly more efficient government. We have other things to worry about than making and raising a new flag.

• No, they are unified.

No, California should not be divided into two separate states, because California is a powerhouse at it is. California is a leader among states. People often look to what the California courts do in order to set social policy for the rest of the country. With California so powerful, they should maintain it by staying unified.