Do African Americans just vote for Obama because he is black?

• Of Course they do!

Look, I know I will be labeled as a racist. But, look, if Obama was white then the black community would have called him a racist. Think about it. The majority of the Black community are criminals that hate conservatives. They claim "The white man be bringin' me down yo." Look at it that way.

• Fun Math Problem!! Can not conclude anything, but most likely yes.

I took the percentage of black votes for the democratic party from 1976 to 2004 and compared them to the 2008 election and 2012 election with President Obama involved.

1976 - 83% of black vote
    1980 - 83% of black vote
    1984 - 91% of black vote
    1988 - 89% of black vote
    1992 - 83% of black vote
    1996 - 84% of black vote
    2000 - 90% of black vote
    2004 - 88% of black vote
    VS
    2008 - 95% of black vote
    2012 - 93% of black vote

I then took the single variable statistics for those percentages I found, and realized that the mean was 86.375 with a standard deviation of 3.46. That means anything greater than 86.375 + 3.46 is considered as well above average (which is 89.75, so I'll just say 90). To solve for outliers, which you can pretty much conclude that there is something going on, you would take you upper quartile (89.5) and add it to 1.5 times your inner quartile range (which is 9.75). Therefore, an outlier would be 99.25%, which none of these elections have that crazy of a statistic.

In Conclusion, The 2008 election and 2012 election are both well above the average of the black vote in any presidential election in history, but it can not be concluded because neither of them are outliers. Therefore, it is safe to say that most likely there was a natural tendency for the African-American ethnicity to vote for President Obama. An increase by 3-5% of black people is a huge increase of 1,223,682 black voters to 2,056,137 black voters (calculated by using the 2010 census)

#APStatsSWAG(IactuallyLearnedSomethingInSchool?)

• Why wouldn't they?

Most blacks voted for Obama because he was black period. He could have sacrificed a baby on television and still have gotten about 70% of the black vote. Most black people have no idea what he stands for except that he wants to take money away from the evil rich people and give to their lazy asses. About half of white people voted for Obama, while almost all black people voted for him. But somehow people think that the 50% of white people that didn't vote for Obama are racist, while all black people that voted for Obama are anti-racist.

• Perhaps... Maybe.... Probably for some...

There MAY be a certain amount of bias here. Maybe African American communities that are subject to racism and/or have very low opinions of white people may choose to vote someone of their own because they may like to support each other. Maybe due Americas dark history, they like to see somebody black doing well. There are a number of reasons that African Americans may choose to vote for Obama, and remain wilfully ignorant that he may no be the best (not taking sides here).
    And honestly, i really don't blame them at all. And I'm not saying ALL African Americans are biased towards Obama in this way, I'm just saying there MAY be SOME people who feel this way, and, in my opinion, have very understandable reasons for doing so.

• Identity politics is pretty strong in america

Obama exploits it pretty well in what he says about minorities, etc. It's just publicity at the end of the day but there you are. American presidential races are focussed on personality over substance and Barrack Obama exploited that. He isn't to blame for it being that way though, and I don't blame him for playing to such a huge vote winner

• Of course they did.

And things got worse, way worse, but not as bad as they will get if women elect Chillary Clinton. A a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a

• Black votes for Obama

Multiple of my black friends told me they voted for Obama only because he is black. Obama is a democratic but yes if black people were forced to pick a republican they would have voted for Ben Carson but since Obama is a democrat the black votes went to him

• Quit denying the obvious.

Teachers and Professors were preaching to their students that we all need to vote for him so we can make history. People across the country stating the same thing. Highest rate of black voter turnout. People saying I don't care what his policies are we have a chance to make history. And the infamous I'm voting for him because "It's time" comment.

• NO! It is just a coincidence.

No. This just happens to be a coincidence. Don't think so. Obvious. Racism is not limited to the majority. Minorities exhibit a lot of racist behaviors, this is only one example. Obama has been a good POTUS, even if he is racist. We still love him. Signing off. Why so many words required here? Unnecessary.

• A a a

A a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a

• I'm white, and I don't like most conservatives

Ethnicity doesn't matter in an argument as such, dude. I'm white, and I do not like most conservatives I have seen. And don't think I'm just some random liberal out there, I don't like a lot of poltiicians from either side, and frankly, I agree that Obama should do a better job, but sorta understand. But this isn't about what I think of him.

To say that people of the african american ethnicity is ignorant and pulling an assumption out of thin air. Ignorant, irrational, and just ridiculous.

• Blacks vote primarily democratic. And not by race.

Blacks have vote for white candidates even when the opponents of the white candidate are black. One examle of this is the alderman elections in Chicago. Throughout the history of black voter participation blacks have had little choice but to vote for white candidates, the better question is do whites vote for black candidates.

• Lyndon B. Johnson got 94 percent of the black vote, still a record for any presidential election.

http://www.factcheck.org/2008/04/blacks-and-the-democratic-party/
    Blacks mostly voted Republican from after the Civil War and through the early part of the 20th century. That’s not surprising when one considers that Abraham Lincoln was the first Republican president, and the white, segregationist politicians who governed Southern states in those days were Democrats. The Democratic Party didn’t welcome blacks then, and it wasn’t until 1924 that blacks were even permitted to attend Democratic conventions in any official capacity. Most blacks lived in the South, where they were mostly prevented from voting at all. The election of Roosevelt in 1932 marked the beginning of a change. He got 71 percent of the black vote for president in 1936 and did nearly that well in the next two elections, according to historical figures kept by the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies. But even then, the number of blacks identifying themselves as Republicans was about the same as the number who thought of themselves as Democrats.
    It wasn’t until Harry Truman garnered 77 percent of the black vote in 1948 that a majority of blacks reported that they thought of themselves as Democrats. Earlier that year Truman had issued an order desegregating the armed services and an executive order setting up regulations against racial bias in federal employment.
    Even after that, Republican nominees continued to get a large slice of the black vote for several elections. Dwight D. Eisenhower got 39 percent in 1956, and Richard Nixon got 32 percent in his narrow loss to John F. Kennedy in 1960.
    But then President Lyndon B. Johnson pushed through the landmark Civil Rights Act of 1964 (outlawing segregation in public places) and his eventual Republican opponent, Sen. Barry Goldwater, opposed it. Johnson got 94 percent of the black vote that year, still a record for any presidential election.
    The following year Johnson signed the 1965 Voting Rights Act. No Republican presidential candidate has gotten more than 15 percent of the black vote since.
    Footnote: Younger African American voters have been edging away from the Democratic Party in recent years. David Bositis of the Joint Center notes "a fairly long-term pattern of decreasing identification with the Democrats by younger African Americans."

• Not so, consider this.

Would the vast majority of blacks have voted for Dr. Ben Carson or Herman Cain, as they were even more "black" than Obama. Since the Civil Rights Movement, "blacks" have had a tendency of voting for the Democratic Party as it was seen as "anti-racist" in comparison to the "New Republicans."

• No, African Americans did not just vote for Obama because he is black.

I believe that African Americans did not just vote for Obama because he is black. I think African Americans, as well as Whites, Hispanics, etc., voted for Obama because they felt like he was the most qualified person to be president. I think the country was ready for a change. I don't think race was a part of why Obama was elected.

• No they don't.

Clinton got 84% of the Black vote, Gore 90%. Obama, 95%.

There was a bigger jump of Black support from Clinton to Gore, then Gore to Obama. Gore isn't black.

This is just one of those fairy-tales conservatives tell to make themselves feel better about losing over and over again.

• Correlation is not causation

I am an African American and I did not vote for Obama. Also Colin Powell and Condelezza Rice worked for the Bush administration. They were "black." African Americans didn't vote for Bush. Anyone of thinking capacity knows over nine tenths of African Americans are Democrats. Obama is a Democrat, therefore he received their votes. It is not that difficult to understand.