Do American values contradict the teachings of Jesus Christ?

Asked by: mlibb
  • American nationalism blinds it's citizens to the contradictions of it's behavior and values taught by the God that American's claim to follow.

America has consumed itself with the beliefs of capitalism and have turned away from the teachings of the majorities religion. Jesus taught to be accepting and loving of all people. There is no possible way capitalism can be an idea that follows this belief. Capitalism requires those with capital to be protected by the government and those who do not have capital to be controlled by the government. The poor in this country are managed by the government and kept content in order to keep their demands down. If these are the teachings of Jesus Christ I think I need to rethink things. Something tells me the wealthy are using people's religion against them.

• Yes they do.

You see I am what some would call a new age man I am very well traveled and well versed in many fine artforms and I listen to Beethoven and other classics on a regular basis on a daily basis. I myself am currently on holiday in Northwest Spain (Galicia) and the moral value here are just top notch everyone is kind and compassionate, but they don't focus so much on the religious aspect of life.

• Yes, and it's a good thing too.

The 'Bible' is possibly the most ludicrous and contradictory book ever written. It's full of holes, logical fallacies and ridiculously outdated thinking, not to mention it's promotion of the worst types of bigotry and prejudice.
    Given that a) there is no invisible man in the sky and b) morality does not come from a 2000 year old book written by people whose IQ by todays standards would be considered sub-normal, then who cares?
    In 2014, being a 'Christian' country isn't anything to aspire to, or to be proud of. Being tolerant, respecting others and living in a free society =/= Christianity. The best thing that could happen to America is that fundamentalist Christianity is completely wiped out as it's arguably just as insidious/dangerous as fundamentalist Islam.

• I dont know about jesus but they contradict the bible

Gays are being allowed to get married, we no longer think its right to own slaves and we no longer stone our children for being rebellious. And i think thats a good thing. Hurray for secularism! The more we turn away from religion the more morally competent we become. I dont have a problem with us going against the teachings of our ever changing "gods". These gods are never better than the men who made them up.

• "Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ." Ephesians 6:5

Need I say more? The Christian Bible has a significant number of rules and 'values' that are not mirrored in American Law or Values. If you want to get Jesus specific, as in direct quotes from the man himself, chew on this one; "But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust."-Jesus Christ
    That one alone stands in complete contradiction to 'American Values'. We don't love our enemies. We can pretend to, but we absolutely do not love our enemies. In fact if you take a sideways glance at the Middle East lately, you'll find that to be true. Unless you consider the business end of a Scud missile to be loving in any way, shape, or form.

• No. They don't.

America has plenty of private Christian schools, while leaving public schools alone so that they can simply think their own religion. Also, America is one of the most Christian countries in the world, so I don't think the Christians have anything to worry about. I think it's pretty OK, even if there's some conflict between us Atheists and the Christians. But overall, it's fine.

• Conveyance and Contradict are subjective.

The bible is used in many ways, the teachings are subsequent of the individual. The problems arise with interpretations and pragmatists that forget that the book was written over 2000 years ago, on another continent, by a variety of opinionated and practical men. And does not hold all the secrets to the world, universe or the future. The true teachings that represent human and cyclic nature via the wisdom of Jesus, were altered by those whom wanted to take the notion of murder as a blessing for their own encompass and eliminate chapters to support a diligence of stagnate.
    Amen.

• States and religion should be separate, It has no effect on personal ethics.

Christian Values, or any religious values should be a not part of the values of the general population. Christians and other religions have freedom in the USA, individuals can take their personal values from anywhere as long as it dose not effect another persons rights. If that means people are taking their values from Jersey shore that isn't the countries problem. If Commercialism, Capitalism and nationalism can make you a less religious person then your faith wasn't that strong from the start.

The Majority of people in the USA are considered Christian. These are the people who wrote the legal books and installed all the values within society. Just because their job requires them to work Sundays or they don't want to work in a soup kitchen in their free time doesn't mean that the system is against Christianity. Everyone can choose.