• Luck, Chance, and the Oakland Raiders

Hi! I'm atheist. Figured I'd honor you with my presence. I think you would have to define luck. Is luck this force to which you would subscribe a higher being or supernatural cause, or is it just this calculable chance working in your favor? As an atheist, I'd lean toward the latter. There's nothing supernatural about chance and probability, but I'd have a hard time believing in this higher power or the never ending silly rituals people do for good luck. If I don't wash my socks, will the Oakland Raiders make the play offs? Hah, doubt it! It'd never going to happen. But on a more serious note, it seems everything super natural is impossible until we understand it. Then it becomes natural because we are natural. Super natural occurrences are things unknown until they are known which then become natural occurrences. And as science progresses that line between the unknown and the known is getting smaller. Food for thought.

• Yes, just as theists do.

Luck is a generic term for fortune that feels either good or bad. A theist might believe in luck but call it a blessing from God when positive. An atheist might believe in luck but assign it to the random working of the universe that for a moment is experienced as working in his or her favor.

• Luck chooses people who deserves day's prize

Why? Because, in everyday life, we need luck. It is not belief of god. Luck and god are very far from each other. Luck is like a powerful magnetic force that which we can't escape or evade. And also, luck defines not on religion, it defines who DESERVES prize on that day.

• I don't see why not

This whole question implies that luck has something to do with a belief in a supernatural creator (religion), but there is no such relationship. Luck and religion are two completely different concepts. One, both, or neither can be held as beliefs by any individual. It hardly matters that one is an Atheist.

• Atheists Believe In Luck

Of course atheists believe in luck. When people fall on great fortune or have something good happen to them, many people give credit to two things, God or luck. Atheists do not believe in God so they will obviously claim that their good fortune happens due to some type of luck.

• Yes, of course atheists believe in luck.

Certainly atheists believe in luck. So do Christians or any other God believers, for that matter. Atheists may even ascribe luck or fate as the cause of events more so than a believer in God would, but not necessarily so either. One would have to know the exact purpose of this question to answer precisely, but again, yes Atheists do.

• The question is a bit too broad.

I'm going to say yes in the sense that some atheists believe in luck. However, atheism is a very broad spectrum with a number of different ideas and beliefs. It's impossible to say all atheists believe/don't believe in X, Y or Z on a number of different issues. Personally, luck is an arbitrary value assigned to events (as opposed to a quantifiable force), so I don't believe in it.

• I'm sure some do.

I don't think being an atheist means you automatically believe in luck, but I'm sure some do, just as some religious folks probably believe in luck. Not believing in a higher power doesn't mean you don't believe in anything at all. We can't put all members of any group in a box just because it's easy.

• Not categorically, and categorically no.

Not all atheists believe in luck and from the wording of the resolution, it is apparently about luck as a thing which people have a quantity of; someone having good luck or bad luck, as some form of magical power. And it is clear that people who reject gods and magical thinking and beliefs, do not believe in such silly things; you could scarce call someone an atheist who believes in the tooth fairy or Santa Claus, nor could you call one an atheist who believes in luck. Many might call themselves atheists who believe in luck, but they are not because atheists are not in the business of faith.