Do atheists desire to see the end of religion?

Asked by: Apparelled
  • I do not think this is in doubt,

But I would like to propose that atheist or agnostic alike feel that to eliminate religion would cause the world to step closer to world peace. I do not deny that many atrocities have happened throughout history in the name of religion, but the idea that religion was the only major contributor is a narrow perspective. What I think that most people with an anti-religion view fail to see is the systematic dismantling of religious institutions by governments and the media and how members of religious communities increasingly feel persecuted and closeted by society. This is no different than how groups of people have been persecuted and destroyed in the past. If we truly are an accepting society why than do we still try and find ways to differentiate ourselves from each other. Why must we end one thing so that another may thrive, instead of finding a balance where all may thrive together. Now I am neither religious or atheist/agnostic, just as I am neither left wing or right wing. When I think about future peace and prosperity I do not think that religious belief fosters an environment of change. But I also see a world based solely in reason and logic as cold and detached from reality. The universe is far more complex than what logic and reasoning can calculate, and far to supernatural to dogmatically explain. I believe that human kinds future will require us to utilize both spiritual feeling and logical thinking. Our greatest feats and moments throughout history have all been the result of human cooperation, and the only way we have ever grown as a society.

I cringe every time I hear an atheist call a religious person unreasonable or unintelligent. Just as I do when I hear a religious person call an atheist a sinner or immoral. Not one of those traits is unique to either group. Now can we all stop trying to change each other and choose to grow together. Through understanding, acceptance and cooperation we will become something more than the sum of our parts.

• The preachers of atheism

AKA Hitches, dennis, harris, etc.. All hate religions and want them wiped off the face of the map. The atheist faithful must therefore believe their shepherds. All atheists want to do is to destroy religious faith and opinion, without regard for the vast contribution faith has made to the world.

• Not always .

The term atheist just means that they do not believe in god. It makes no provisions for why, or any other beliefs that they may hold. I think if the question had said, 'anti-theist', a subdivision of deist, atheist, agnostics and other seculars, then I would have to say yes. While I agree with the question, it is semantics that cause me to have a 'no' opinion. I also define myself as an anti-theist, and would be happy if there were no religion. That being said, I have no desire to burn down churches and kill religious people. No. I will instead engage in rational discussions, and seek to prevent religious-based (or lack thereof) legislation.

• There is a difference between a ATHEIST and a ANTI-THEIST

Atheism- the lack of belief in god or gods
    Anti-theism- the active opposition to theism

Anti-theists generally desire to see the end of religion. They aren't necessarily atheists e.g. agnostics.

I don't really care what people believe (atheist), unless it's causing hatred or discrimination. I don't desire to see an end to word religion, there are both pros and cons to it, for example I think it can have the potential to be psychologically beneficial for some people, it also tends to give people a sense of community.

• "Atheists" as a demographic don't do anything unanimously besides lacking a belief in god (or knowing their isn't one, if they have a spine).

They're unique (in fact, the most diverse I've ever seen) people with opinions and beliefs as varied as they come, outside of their inability to buy into the god delusion for lack of evidence, as well as the abundance of evidence the god and religions are a creation of scared minds.

That said, I'm gnostic atheist, and would be tickled pink if the religious of the word formed a disorderly line anywhere within the radioactive sites of Chernobyl or Fukushima (or both at once HAHAHA).

• Not necessarily. Some do, some don't. It is a wrongful over generalization to say that 'X' demographic wants 'Y' result.

As an atheist, I respect all religions, and I don't care what people believe (As long as their beliefs don't involve hurting/harming the rights of other people). I do however think that a second renaissance of human creativity, thinking, philosophy, and rationalization would come about with the discarding of religion. The reason I think this is that people would have the freedom to think for themselves in every category without a list of underlying list of presumptuous or biased world views holding back their thought processes. Deductive and Inductive reasoning would take hold, and allow everyone to consider things on an objective basis without Bias or Presumption. So considering the fact that I personally think society would vastly improve with religion gone, I view it as a good thing.

• Not quite accurate

Although there are atheists, (like me) who think we'd be better off without religion, this definitely doesn't mean that all of them do, nor does it even mean that those who oppose our current religions want to rid the world of them. Even though I think we'd be better off without it, I live in a country where we are allowed to practice what we want freely, a right of which I would defend for anyone legitimate. In essence, we can be anti-theist, but it isn't a necessity.

Atheism is simply a noun that describes skepticism of theism, nothing more.

• Because then they

Wouldn't be atheists, see, you can't be an atheist without religion.
    It's like how you can't be evil without good, because there wouldn't be a counter. If there was no religion atheists would not exist, thus God would have to. . . . . . . . . . .

• I don't think the majority do at this point. But, that doesn't mean this trend will always continue.

I think there are too many close relationships at this point between atheists and those who embrace a religion. We have evidence of anti-religion/anti-theistic abuse in other parts of the world that most people in the free(er) world don't want to see. The atheist probably doesn't want to see their Christian relatives, friends, etc. go to jail because they have a Bible, Book Of Mormon, Quran, etc.

I would advise caution however in thinking that strict laws will never be placed on religion in the western world. The strong sentiments, if advocated enough, could potentially lead to what most atheists claim they don't want to see.

• No I don't think

I don't believe in god and I think that if religion makes you a better person then go ahead. I just hate the fanatics that try to push a force their religion on me or treat me different cause I don't have the same beliefs. Religion does cause a lot more pain then it does to help with it. Wars and genocide ect were because of religion but then again those are fanatics and most religious people are not to fanatical about it

• Not actively seeking the end.

I don't believe that the majority of atheists are set out to end religion. Of course there are always minorities that will seek to do what most wouldn't, and I think atheists are willing to argue and push for their position. I don't think that they actively want to tear down religion.

• Quite a few of my friends are atheist and some of my family is too. I did research these are my results.

I have done a lot of research on this topic most people i know are atheists including close-ish friends. I have asked them all if they want to see the end of religion every single one said no. They even said that they respect me (i am a christian myself) and other religions including Islam, Jewish, Buddhism, Hinduism, and every other religion.

bubbatheclown says2014-02-23T19:10:05.770
This question should've been rephrased. There certainly are atheists who hate religion, but at the same time there are plenty of atheists who are okay with its existence.
Apparelled says2014-02-25T19:33:32.353
So far 50% of the people who stated no have claimed a desire to see religion end. So as you can see, within the ranks of atheists there is a subconscious desire to see religion crumble.