• 99.9% are respectful, but 0.1% aren't.

Let me go off the record that I know many Atheists, and most of them are extremely accepting.

But then you have the people that mock religious people, calling them "fools who can't think for themselves" and "the most intolerant of people". They've also been accused of being "a burden to the progress of society". I've even heard one guy say that we need an Atheist in the White House, when religion should not sway votes.

And I know there is a difference between respecting religions and religious people. I haven't got a problem with Atheists who criticize religions, and have no respect towards them. That's freedom of thought. The main group I'm talking about is the 0.1% of them that are intolerant of the people.

• They have double standards

They want Christians to do one thing. But then they go and do the exact opposite of what they told us to do. For instance, atheists want us to be tolerant of other religions and beliefs. But they condemn, ridicule, and hate us. They need to see that their are truly living in sin.

• The ones i talk to do

I understand what many people say that most atheist respect religious people, but most of the people i talk to dont. For example i am a christian and i am called many different names from atheist liberals. Not saying that its because they're, but they are the ones who do it the most with the fact im mostly conservative.

In fact people should respect religions. Im being forced to accept homosexuality even though im against it. Im called a racist homophobic nazi when i give this opinion.

Overall people should respect religions with the fact they are opinions and beliefs.

• Religious people are discriminated against

The difference between religion and atheism is that religion advocates for its own beliefs of the bible/god, while atheism campaigns simply to deny religion. If atheists don't believe in religion, there is no problem with that, but why would they need to do more than just live their lives and ignore it? Why do they need to gather in groups and campaign against the validity of religious people? Religious people do not teach against any other person or group of people. They teach that god loves everyone no matter what. I see atheists making signs campaigning in public, and trying to convert people. Isn't this one of the exact things religious people do that atheists hate? Atheists gather in groups, have teachings, and try to convert people, isn't that not much different than religions? So hasn't atheism become much like a religion itself?

• Some are very disrespectful

I may be religious but I have never tried to push my faith on others. I have only told people religious things when they approach me seeking it. I am very liberal because I will personally live my life conservatively but that doesn't fit everyone and others can live their lives as they please and it's not my job to interfere. In some cases I can even find that liberals act in a more Christian way than conservatives when it comes to many domestic policies. I have met very rude atheists though. On more than one occasion I have called these people my fried a but when they found that I was Christian they acted like they had to convince me that I was incorrect. I tell everyone who approaches me this way to drop it or I'll slam there door in their face like they are a Jehovah's Witness. I feel that atheists and the like don't respect others beliefs because they don't believe and don't understand it. It's the same as the GOP holding the fed gov hostage because they don't value it. Maybe they dot but I do.

• Atheists are incredibly rude...

I understand that not all Atheists are disrespectful, but the majority of the ones I've met are. I am Catholic but the only reason other people know this is that I go to a Catholic school. In my scout group where all the other kids are public and non -religious I am continuously subjected to various rude comments from everybody including my adult leaders. Please keep in mind this is near Toronto, and I never pray or "bless the Lord" or talk about church in their presence or even by myself. I'm barely religious yet these people feel that it's appropriate to say things like "yeah and at all these schools brainwashing kids into thinking that God exists" or "all these stupid Catholics getting upset about abortion" and then directing comments to me like "doesn't your school pray every morning instead of singing the anthem?" At one point we were invited to the main church in our city to parade in the flags as part of a memorial and my group spent the entire time giggling and whispering during the mass and even turning around in the pew getting up on their knees and talking to people behind them. It was incredibly disrespectful and when we paraded out again at the end behind the priest EVERY SINGLE member of the congregation was glaring at us. When my brothers and I went to get Communion everybody laughed and said stuff like "you actually think you're eating Jesus? Eew creepy!" very loudly and went so far as to make fun of the priest blessing the wine and Communion when the entire church was silent. When we got back from Communion and knelt down to pray they asked us what we were doing and giggled at the fact that we thought god was real and that he was listening. Before we went in one of my leaders asked me how to sit down and if we had to bow. I said yes bow because you obviously can't cross yourself which was followed up by this guy's 14 year old daughter asking if I could teach her how to cross herself so that she could do it too. The entire situation was so embarrassing that I didn't parade through this year because I didn't want to be seen with these people who disrespected everybody else's faith to this degree.

• Only the fanatic ones.

I'm a Christian and had many Atheists throw verses at me randomly as well as arrogantly insulted me for being a believer in God. However, we must realize who we are being criticized by (especially when online). They are what I call fanatic Atheists. Unlike the majority of Atheists, they deliberately seek out any Theist to insult and argue with. Don't get me wrong, there are also fanatic Theists who deliberately seek out people of a different religion and non believers. It is quite sad that the Atheists and the Theists both get blamed as arrogant and disrespectful as a whole because of the small percentage from both sides wage war on the other.

• The smug ones

Most atheists, myself included, don't go out of their way to belittle religious people. We generally like to avoid the entire topic of religion. In most cases I won't even mention I am an atheist unless it's very relevant (such as now) or I'm asked outright. It's not that I'm ashamed, but I don't want a stigma in conversation.

However, some atheists thrive off of this stigma and use it to make themselves feel better than the religious people they criticize. Most of these people are just smug hipster-esque dimwits who have no reasoning other than that they think they're one of the smart ones as long as they disagree with the majority.

• Some disrespect my religion not all though

I have run into many atheists who disrespect my religion (I am christian). We would be in a group discussion about other topics and basically they would bring up how all christians hate them and everything they do and how they don'd believe in God. I then would inform them that i don't hate them being atheist however that I didn't like my religion being painted wrongly because of someone who misrepresents it. Then they would argue about how its dumb to be a Christian. And no i never say they are wrong for not having a God or whatever they believe in because they are entitled to their own opinions and religions i just would like the same respect returned is all.

• (Some) Critical Thinkers

I can't speak for most atheists, I only know a few. But those that I know subscribe to the critical thinking idea. They are work colleagues and they often end up ridiculing Christian beliefs given the implicit assumption of a materialistic closed world (from which naturalism emerged). In this view of the world miracles and external / divine interventions are naturally ridiculous since the world is closed as an absolute statement. The Christian view of the world implies an open world, a world contained within a larger context which is under the influence of God, resulting in yes donkeys being able to speak. I am a Christian and feel disrespected when people make fun of how I choose to see the world. I believe that mutual respect is necessary for a peaceful communion, and even though I do not agree with atheism, I respect their right to pursue this ideology. Yes, the atheists I've met definitely make fun (some with a vengeance) of my belief system. It feels extremely bad to be ridiculed and mocked.

• No ..I don't think so

I think the Dispute round about" because most of the people who believe in God are doing blind belief"so - he is a Christian, because his father is a Christian; he is a Hindu, because his father is a Hindu; the majority of the people in the world are blindly following the religion of their fathers. An atheist, on the other hand, even though he may belong to a religious family, uses his intellect to deny the existence of God; what ever concept or qualities of God he may have learnt in his religion may not seem to be logical to him.
    For a person to say there is no God, he should know what is the meaning of God. If I hold a book and say that ‘this is a pen’, for the opposite person to say, ‘it is not a pen’, he should know what is the definition of a pen, even if he does not know nor is able to recognise or identify the object I am holding in my hand. For him to say this is not a pen, he should at least know what a pen means. Similarly for an atheist to say ‘there is no God’, he should at least know the concept of God. His concept of God would be derived from the surroundings in which he lives. The god that a large number of people worship has got human qualities - therefore he does not believe in such a god. Similarly a Muslim too does not and should not believe in such false gods

• Monotheists Have a Persecution Complex

Atheists and polytheists are generally and historically more accepting of others beliefs and behaviours. Monotheists tend to be much less tolerant, professing a "one true god", and telling anyone who disagrees with them to die or suffer some form of eternal punishment. Just look at the whole "god hates fags" fiasco. The backlash from these kinds of actions are misrepresented as disrespect or oppression by monotheists, when the monotheists themselves are the ones being intolerant.

• No they don't

Most atheist (and people in general) are very quiet about their beliefs and don't care to impose them on anyone, so most people have an atheist friends without realizing it, even religious people. But the few atheist loudmouths out there might give people a different impression, and that's normal because the bad sticking out over the good is a survival instinct. Most people atheist or religious are actually quite tolerant of each other.

• No, absolutely not.

Unless an atheist is trying to force their non belief on a religious person, then they aren't being disrespectful. By not agreeing with someone's beliefs, you aren't being disrespectful, you're just voicing your opinion. Sure, if your jewish/muslim friend is staying with you, and you decide to cook pork for them, that could be viewed as disrespectful.

• The vast majority, no.

While there will always be extremists in every group, the vast majority of atheists honestly just want religious people to leave them alone. If the religious stopped trying to convert people and kept their religion out of our laws, schools, and government you'd never hear a peep from most of us.
    And considering the fact that atheists, according to both Gallup and the Pew Forum, are the most hated and mistrusted group in the United States and see a great deal of discrimination and slander in the media, this question should be the other way around.

• Respect the Person, Not the Belief

Speaking for myself specifically, and generally about what I see and read, atheists are generally very respectful of religious believers, while having no respect for their beliefs. There is nothing wrong with this. I see no reason to have any respect at all for anyone's pet mythology, while I do generally find reasons to respect other living things.

• I think not

Atheists have a right to voice their opinion just like religious people do. Every where you go and every where you look you see a religious symbol or something that deals with religion. It is on the money we spend the schools we learn and the jobs we work. Do you believe religious people are disrespecting people that do not believe in the same god as they do. Atheists question religion. Religious people should take this as a challenge and teach them. Take their acts of finding fault in the religion as a challenge, and prove to the Atheists why they are wrong and religious people are right.

• There's an Important Distinction

There's a difference between giving respect to a religious person and giving respect to a religion. I do not give respect to religions, however I give some respect to religious people if they deserve respect. It's hard to generalize the atheistic population, but I would venture to say this is the most likely statement they'd make if asked this question. Of course, there are going to be atheistic bigots who disrespect religious people along with their religion intentionally to make a statement, but they're a minority. Some atheists understand how religious people fall into believing in some particular god, but some don't.

• I don't think so

Most people I talk to have a region whilst I am a atheist. I respect people who respect me and that's simple. I don't care about their religion, and neither do my friends. My best friends are both protesants (I'm sorry I don't know the spelling) and the both don't care I don't believe in God. But I've seen people who have a religion, commenting on different pages letting us look bad. I know not every atheist is respectful, but I'm sure there are other religions that aren't respectful either.

• Respect the Person, Not the Belief

It's sometimes just impossible to speak against stupid religious acts such as animal sacrifice & all that. Being born in a Hindu family, I've seen many such acts which I truly hate! And I can't keep mum when it comes to all such things. So, it's impossible for me to be an atheist & not speak against such religious acts, practices, views.

If a person feels that taking rounds (what they call saath-phere or whatever) is a stupid thing, then he or she is not forced to go through that particular act! If an atheist wants to lead a life totally out-of-reeti-rivaaj, he or she can simply do it without saying anything to the theists. It's their life, right?

Respect the Person, Not the Belief Speaking for myself specifically, and generally about what I see and read, atheists are generally very respectful of religious believers, while having no respect for their beliefs. There is nothing wrong with this. I see no reason to have any respect at all for anyone's pet mythology, while I do generally find reasons to respect other living things.

Ragnar says2013-06-02T18:37:06.643
On average a resounding no. However the devote atheists (the ones who cause if atheism is a religion to be asked) really stick out.
Anonymous says2013-06-27T01:36:10.013
However, disrespecting is ridiculous to the max.