Do atheists know more about religions than religious people?

Asked by: Lordgrae
  • There's Empirical Evidence that Proves Yes

There was recently a study that went out to American people that asked many questions about religions and their aspects, and to many people's surprise, the atheists came out on top, answering better than theists. The reason is simply because given that so many people are religious, atheists will be challenged just for being skeptical, so atheists will look into religion a lot more than those who feel they are virtuous in their knowledge of belief and won't look it up. It is also a very common factor in converting people out of religion to learn more about religions, since so much of it people would just find silly and deduce they don't need to believe.

Here's the survey http://www.Youtube.Com/watch?V=SAG46K3rnIc

• Atheists Have The Opportunity to Look At Many Views

Since Atheists are not bound to seeing the world in one way, they are able to look at all the different points of view and come to a conclusion. Atheists don't just start out being atheist. One becomes an atheist after taking the time to examine and consider the different religions out there and then deciding that they are all just a way to basically rake in a lot of money through tithes and control the masses.

• Recent research has shown this.

The Pew Forum, for example, devised a test of religious knowledge on which atheists were the highest scorers- by a significant degree. Fundamentalist Christians, those who often claim atheists don't know about or understand their religion, scored the lowest of any group.
    This is particularly true in America, where the vast majority of atheists are former Christians who actually STUDIED religion before discarding it.

• Yes as an Atheist

I have found most fellow atheists to be supremely well versed in various religions , I think it's because most atheists come to there views after serious questioning of the various forms of religion they were raised in .
    Myself personally I felt the need to learn about different religions so I could defend myself from there what I felt were religious people always trying to take the moral high ground , they refused to believe you could be happy without a God belief .

• Polls don't lie

We in fact in the majority of cases do know more about religions than those of the religious. When points are made regarding their religion they tend to be in complete denial and at times very defensive because we highlight the facts while they strongly only want to believe in the good things. In all debates with the religious versus atheists, the religious use a lot of emotional arguments, appeasing only to the good things they were taught but when we expose the falsehoods, the inconsistencies, evil, and nonsensical things throughout their belief they begin to scuff at us as if we wrote the material when in fact we're just simply pointing to the material. Recent polls have shown that atheists do in fact know more about religions than those of the religious. Http://www.Nytimes.Com/2010/09/28/us/28religion.Html?_r=0

• Atheists look for answers

When religious people often believe they have already found them. Many of those who answered no said this because they believe that they know more about their own religion than atheists - well, for one, many atheists understand Christianity better than most Christians, as an example, but more importantly, religious people rarely bother to learn about other religions, and so therefore while they might understand their own religion better (which I still would question), they do not know more about religions in general than atheists do. Personally, I am an atheist, and I know more about Catholicism than anyone I've ever met who isn't 1) a priest/ordained person (about a quarter know more than me) or 2) my sister (of which I have one), and with all of these I still know more about Islam and Judaism and Buddhism and Sikhism and a couple others.

• We actually read

Most of us started off as being raised religious. As the years go by that will be less true ^_^. We had questions that needed answered and most "not all" atheists have actually read the bible. Until you can actually sit down and read the bible "it isn't hard to understand, just because you don't what a verse says, doesn't mean you don't understand it" Until you can actually look at history "I would go to the middle east and North Africa, particularly around the time when Judaism was polytheistic meaning believed in multiple gods. Until you can do this with dismissing what you read because it goes against what you believe, you will not be able to understand these religions.

• We actually read

If you know nothing about your religion then yes, I know more about religion than you do. I don't just stop at your religion either. I know more about Islam than you know about Christianity "usually, this is a general statement and only applies to the vast majority of Christians". I know a crap ton more about Christianity than I do Islam. I have the cure for you... You want to know as much about your religion as i do... Pick up your bible and read it "it is easy to understand, just because you don't like a verse, it doesn't mean you don't understand what it s saying. Pick up a history book about the middle east and North Africa and learn. Learn about Judaism and what it was like when it was polytheistic. Until you actually do this most "not all" atheists will have a way better understanding of your religion and it's teachings than you do.

• Simply because they

Allow themselves to. They are not blinded by the dogmas of any religion so are able to investigate the truth for themselves. I noticed this my self when discussing religion with some of my christian friends, many of them have never heard of key historical events that lead to the founding of the modern christian church like the council of Nicaea or the inquisition.

• Mental bird cage

The more I read about religion (all religions) along with the study of history, psychology and sociology, the more man made religion appears to be, I am open to the concept of god but scripture does not make me a believer and I reject the claims of others that I am lost, cursed, damned, ignorant and stupid. I consider myself an honest and reasonable man ....... Things just don't add up! Thank you

• No, I am agnostic and I disagree with this based on personal experience

More often than not I find that the atheists I know (lets make this clear, I am not saying every single atheist out there is like this) are so very set in their ways that they refuse to even consider a religious persons standpoint, they often seem to bundle all religions/religious people into one group, one which only cares about their own faith and refuses to look at 'facts' as they call them. Doing religious education at school right the way up until I finished I found that those in class who had a faith often were more willing to listen to each other, and when they did not agree, they just chose to take a step back, allowing the person to have their standpoint and giving them a fair hearing (though of course, still believing that their faith was the right one). The atheists frequently often refuse to even hear them out, letting their preconceptions prevent them from being willing to listen to the other side. I also often feel that with society becoming more liberal in understanding that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I find that people have a religion are more likely to question their own faith, regardless of whether their entire household is of a certain faith (for example my family are all Christian whilst I myself remain unsure of organised religion) and this can often lead to them looking at another faith perhaps as an alternative or looking at atheism before they make a concrete decision about their own faith. I find atheists on the other hand will stick to their preconceptions and do not fully examine why people choose to believe often picking out the outdated (and sometimes absurd ) from religious texts and using that as their weapon time and time again.
    However I would make the point that I am not talking about adults as much here seeing that I have not had as many discussions to do with religion with adults above the age of 25.
    I know in America and other countries it will be different (I'm from England), because you have secular schools and religious education is not the same, with it being disallowed in public schools (information from Wikipedia's page on Religious Education), this may be why, in England, you'll find the majority, if not all, of the schools will teach Religious Education as compulsory subject from year 7 through to year 9, which means you get taught about a number of faiths, as well as atheism.

• Sure, and Sunday drivers know all the in's and out's of NASCAR.

The overwhelming pride of these Atheists makes me sick. What a preposterous, ignorant idea. I don't pretend to know every piece of an Atheists mind because I am not an all seeing being that can see into the soul of man and God alike. What a stupid idea. Really. This is disgusting.

How many people can honestly say they truly understand the Quran? Or the Bible? Or the Torah? These aren't books you read once and put down. These are books that people devote their lives to trying to comprehend and apply to life. Saying you "understand" any one of these books proves that you don't.

Typically, people who claim that their beliefs are "Superior" are often the ones who are most insecure about said beliefs. I won't pretend my beliefs are superior and that my knowledge is vast and far-reaching because it is impossible to fully comprehend all religions.

P.S. Just because I belong to one religious group doesn't make be bound to only studying it and no other.

• Everything is Variable

Some might. Some might not.

The problem is that when you make sweeping statements like 'atheists know more!' I can ask a Jesuit to come talk and make you feel very dumb. If it's "Christians know more!" I can trot out some backwoods cultist who will make everyone cringe.

Simply put, there are good and bad of all kinds. For every intelligent and polite atheist who says "I respect your opinion, but disagree" there's some raging tool mocking everyone and trying to wreck everyone's holiday cheer. Same goes for Christians.

The general trend in society is that no one knows enough about religions of the world. Period.

• Though they have an objective viewpoint that enables clarity when analysing and understanding said religion they do lack something that enables depper understanding

Faith! Without sounding instigative or presumptuous, faith is required for a depper understanding past an academic level of any of the three major (Abrahamic ) religions. It definately adds subjectivity but it also gives you an iextra interpretion that an atheist would have or at the very least it allows their argument/ understanding to be focus rather than bieng unspeciefied.

• Atheists are senseless to understand the opposite debate

They wont consider or listen or want to understand the fact of god existing and its proofs. The more they talk about is themselves and their major argument is "religious peoples are always wrong and sinners" as if the atheists are so pure and clean, hitler ahh. There are lot of examples we can find how many atheists are wrong and sinners.. Is not it?

• Only Feasible In The Academic Sense ...

Since religion is an experience that one must believe in to fully "know", it becomes impossible for an atheist to know "more" about religion than religious people. They can read books on the subject, but that is purely academic in nature. Religion is not an academic experience. They can also study a variety of religions, which is something the average believer might not do. But again, this is purely academic. Religion, no matter which one it is, involves belief as well as involvement to fully understand and/or appreciate.

To that, I can only add ... Any atheist who is spending his/her time reading about religion isn't fulfilled and they are subconsciously searching for that spiritual fulfillment. Why else would a non-believer spend their free time on a subject that they don't believe in?

• Then Religious people know more about atheism than atheists?

Ridiculous. Move your arrogance aside, it is absurd to claim that (generally) atheists know more about the religions of religious people than the people who have that religion do. Some people on earth are privileged enough to be able to study world religions for a living. These sorts of people are known as theologians, and the vast majority of theologians are religious. But that's a small view of the point. Religious people are as exposed to other religions as atheists, if not more. In fact, on a broad scale, in places like Asia, the average religious person would be exposed to no less than 3 religions constantly on a daily basis. Plus the knowledge of their own religion, religious people would know more about religion than those who have no religion. To state otherwise is an absurdity.

• Not in general

Most Atheists do not take the time to research a variety of religions because they do not have the inclination too. Most religious people do not just have blind faith, they spend many years pondering their decision and researching the how's and whys behind it.

But it stands to reason that so done who believes something is going to spend more time learning about it

• Do religious people know more about atheism than atheists?

To know about religions and their history, to know about social religious influence around the world historically, and to know religious books inside-out, is an achievement in itself.
    To come up with philosophies that explain the failings of religious books to the extent that the nonsensical becomes somehow sensical, is clever.
    But to understand evolutionary, relativity, big bang, and quantum theory (to the extent in which it can be understood), is genius!

• Some might know more about the facts but not about the actual religion.

There have been studies that have shown that atheists know more about religion than religious people, BUT that does really mean anything. They might know more about the facts like who they were founded by, when they were founded etc but only a religious person can truly know their religion the best. Atheists tend to just read the scriptures at face value and fail to look further into it. They completely take scriptures out of context to fit their arguments against religion and are unwilling to hear the religious person's point of view and are fully convinced they are right. Some don't even bother to read the scriptures and still claim that they know more about the religion than the religious person. No matter how facts atheists know, no matter how many scriptures they memorise, no matter how much they claim to know about that religion, they will NEVER understand it like a religious person!