• There is no such thing as a tolerant atheist.

People who declare themselves as atheists normally also declare themselves to be without religion and have issues with what they believe religion "stands for". Atheism is indeed a religion, for it takes a large amount of faith to believe that there is no God. Every single time I have ever spoken to a so-called "tolerant atheist" it has come down to a consistent pattern of ad hominem, dodging questions, not being fundamentally sound on a variety of topics that they would like to discuss, and even trying to change the topic so that their rude or attacking comments may stand without rebuttal.

The most overwhelmingly clear stance I have ever learned by atheists are that their personal views and beliefs are built from a foundation of their own dissatisfaction and doubt towards Christian movements and further fortified by their lack of respect for views that oppose their own which compels them to attack as if the religious person were an enemy. If one could summarize the atheistic movement, this is likely a place to start.

Often religious discussions, or more appropriately "dysfunctional jousts", occur when the atheist becomes compelled to speak out against a religion. This normally happens upon hearing any sort of religious word or story which includes a religious portion, which may or may not have anything to do with the atheist. If religious tolerance were ever exercised by the atheist, why would they feel instantly compelled to defame, speak derogatorily of, or otherwise insult the people of any religion?

If humanity has the right to an opinion and a personal view, then why does the common atheist desire to be combative with Christianity? If you don't agree with what the Christian way of life has to say in regards to your own, should you not sweat it? If your beliefs have you feeling that it is only righteous to point out alleged Christian flaws in thought and practice, shouldn't you be wary not to make the religious out to be foolish; which would in fact be a derivative of arrogance and taking a condescending stance against a person, ending ultimately in intolerance?

• Explain the Atheists who want Religious fixtures gone

In a perfect world, all religions (or non-religions...since atheism is not a religion) would be able to tolerate each others differences and live in a happy world. That's not the case, this past Christmas there was news of atheists unhappy about Charlie Brown Christmas and someone having a nativity scene in their yard due to the "Christian Themes." If they (or any religion) was tolerant, they would just see it (or ignore it) shrug it off and say "Those silly ____, at it again!"

• Some are

Under the pretense to be tolerant to the beliefs of others, some atheists get angry and forbid others to tell them and other people of Christ.
    It is not proven God as a Spirit doesn't exist, so atheism is basically a belief (religion) with a single commandment = to accept that God doesn't exist.
    Militant atheist might hatefully attack God, Bible and Christians, twisting and picking Bible verses to show God, Christ, Christians as intolerant and evil.
    Some of their arguments will have no logic, they will usually claim Old Testament has bad laws, God is a genocidal sadist (even though He is the Judge of all world), Christians as hateful bigots - when presented with biblical truth about sin and need of repentance.
    So if you encounter such atheists, it is better to leave them alone, if they refuse to accept the Gospel on first offer.

• A real atheist does not lack. However many "atheists" are simply anti-Religion, which is entirely different.

A real atheist wouldn't care about religious people. Why would you care about something that is not part of your life and something you do not believe in? I do not go around to Soccer forums arguing about Soccer, because I frankly don't care about it, but I also have nothing against those who do like it. Same goes for religion. Many "atheists" are just anti-Religion which is different and is the real intolerance. Nobody cares if you do not believe in God (I am Catholic for the record) because that is your choice. What is not your choice however is what people DO want to believe in. It is objectively authoritarian to think religion is bad and because you subjectively believe it is bad, therefore it must be gone. Just as the hardcore preachers who push their religion onto everyone, hardcore atheists have exactly the same mindset.

That's EXACTLY what Hitler thought about Jews, what Stalin (who's regime was militantly atheist) thought about those who opposed them. This also explains why so many atheists are far-leftists in politics. Also what radical Islam does to many non-Muslims or atheists. Even then, peaceful Muslims are good people and get along with people of other religions. But just as there are radical Muslims or Christians, there are radical atheists, despite them thinking they are incapable of intolerance since they are atheist. That also shows a bit of narcissism and elitism. To think you are above religious people, and are smarter because they are simply "uneducated." There also happens to be a huge link between anti-social behavior and atheists, which might explain their anger against the world and religious people.

Again, I have nothing against regular atheists, in fact I know quite a few. But I do have something against people who are anti-Religion, as should actual atheists, because that is an authoritarian principle. To think you get to decide what people can and cannot believe simply because of subjective views, is objectively fascist and objectively authoritarian, which is strange since militant anti-Religion nut bars think that is what they are fighting for, when in fact they are the only ones who are intolerant of something so important to so many people all over the world.

So is a REAL atheist intolerant of religion? No. But is a 21st century anti-Religion, militant-atheist intolerant of religion? Of course they are. Just listen to one. They think religion is the source of every war, the source of all violence, the source of all problems in general. That is a pretty radical mindset. The most successful and freest countries in the world all have a history of religion behind them, as well as a large religious population. But apparently religious people are the ones who are backwards thinkers right? It really is hard to take these people (anti-Religion nuts, not normal atheists) seriously when they have such a perverted and chaotic worldview.

• Real atheists do not, but a lot of so called atheists are simply anti-Religion, which is not the same.

A real atheist wouldn't care about religious people. Why would you care about something that is not part of your life and something you do not believe in? I do not go around to Soccer forums arguing about Soccer, because I frankly don't care about it, but I also have nothing against those who do like it. Same goes for religion. Many "atheists" are just anti-Religion which is different and is the real intolerance. Nobody cares if you do not believe in God (I am Catholic for the record) because that is your choice. What is not your choice however is what people DO want to believe in. It is objectively authoritarian to think religion is bad and because you subjectively believe it is bad, therefore it must be gone. That's EXACTLY what Hitler thought about Jews, what Stalin (who's regime was militantly atheist) thought about those who opposed them. This also explains why so many atheists are far-leftists in politics. Also what Islam which is arguably the only religion that actually is questionable, does to many non Muslims or atheists. Even then, peaceful Muslims are good people and get along with people of other religions.

I have nothing against regular atheists, in fact I know quite a few. But I do have something against people who are anti-Religion because that is an authoritarian principle. To think you get to decide what people can and cannot believe simply because of your views, is objectively fascist and objectively authoritarian, which is strange since militant anti-Religion nut bars think that is what they are fighting for, when in fact they are the only ones who are intolerant of something so important to so many people all over the world.

So is a REAL atheist intolerant of religion? No. But is a 21st century anti-Religion, militant-atheist intolerant of religion? Of course they are. Just listen to one. They think religion is the source of every war, the source of all violence, the source of all problems in general. That is a pretty radical mindset. The most successful and freest countries in the world all have a history of religion behind them. Every communist and fascist movement in history has fallen hard, along with the death of millions of people. But apparently religious people are the ones who are backwards thinkers right? It really is hard to take these people (anti-Religion nuts, not normal atheists) seriously when they have such a perverted and chaotic worldview.

• From my personal experience

I have dealt with a heard lots of conversations between an atheist and a religious person. From my experience, I believe atheists, just like some christians, need to be tolerant of one another. I know some christians who need to show more love than hate... I have been argued with numerous times with just about everyone I know that "God isn't real and you are a bigot if you believe in God". I have been told that I'm homophobic (which I am not) and I hate on everyone because of my beliefs. I know most atheists are not like this, and just like most christians aren't like the kkk. If a Christian comes knocking at your door wanting to talk to you about repentance, they are doing it because they love you, they care for your life and they don't want you to be tortured for eternity. They don't wish to bully you or be mean by saying you are going to hell. They wish to open your eyes so that you might be saved, after all, if you didn't have Christian's trying to spread the gospel then many sinners wouldn't have been saved (such as myself).
    If someone has religious beliefs, don't call them crazy, and if they refuse to accept gay marriage because of their beliefs, don't call them homophobic people who are trying to control your populace. If they refuse to bake you a gay cake, don't go crazy over it because they are just standing by their beliefs and not trying to hate or discriminate.

I have seen more atheists being intolerant towards religion but tolerance needs to be taught both ways!

• They don't lack religious tolerance.

It's the fact that most time people don't accept atheists. Along with that atheists most of the time don't care about other religions as long as the other religions don't push their beliefs on others and don't descriminate, but this often happens. For example, if someone is preaching a god and is telling an atheist(or anybody of a different belief/nonbelief) of course they're going to get slightly annoyed, how would anyone feel if someone came up and said rude remarks about their beliefs/nonbeliefs?? Obviously there CAN be nontolerant atheist, but there are non tolerant people in every religion/belief. So really doesn't almost everyone lack religious/nonreligious tolerance??

• They lack religious patience.

Most atheists are quite tolerant of religion. But what they're not tolerant of, and should never be tolerant of, is religious people who do not respect their lack of belief. When you keep telling someone "no, thanks" when they're trying to sell you on religion and they ignore you and keep trying, eventually you are going to run out of patience and snap at them to shut up. That's not intolerance, that's a polite person shoveling back the attitude and disrespect they've been served.

• The opposite would be more accurate.

Religion has been oppressing the rights of people since the very beginning, and yet some have the gall to say that Atheists are "intolerant."
    Really? Well why is it that religious people think that Atheists have no morals? Why is it that they feel the need to pass religious doctrine as law, and to limit the rights of others? Why is it that there are states in America that a Atheist cannot legally run for office?
    The ones without tolerance are religious people, that is why all these arguments continue to happen. Atheists have to defend themselves from religious people who think that they are evil and sinful people for not believing in the magic man in the sky! This is discrimination, and some are so blind that they never notice how intolerant they really are.
    People only see "intolerant Atheists" because they go on the internet, say that anyone who doesn't believe in God is just a sinner (or denying it, or is secretly a Satanist) then they see all the angry comments and claim that is what an Atheist is.
    You are purposefully provoking them because you make a generalized claim without any evidence to back it up. Not only that, but there are contradictions in your own religious doctrine that most ignore, not to mention passages that support murder, and slavery and rape! That is ignorance at its finest, and if you are offended by people with opposing views then don't bother being on the internet.

• Atheists do not lack religious tolerance.

Me, and fellow atheists I know, usually try to avoid conflict with other religions. We're young, fresh minded people, and we basically have the viewpoint that people are perfectly entitled to their beliefs. Just dont shove it down our throats and condemn us for not doing the same. Simply put, I have met many delightful christians who accept me for my own religion, sure they may gently try to convert now and then, but I quietly and respectfully decline. And I have met some who are not so accepting. But you know what? Its their loss. They chose to shun me for what I am not, rather then embrace me as a fellow human for what I am, and everything I could be. After all, we are not "immoral" or "lacking in religious tolerance" as a collective faction.
    Every faction has its fanatics. Christianity, Atheism, Etc. They all have extremists. Unfortunately its the extremists that grab the attention the most, and that people base their opinions off of. Most Atheists want to be respected and left alone to live their lives, as THEY see fit. After all, christians may worship whomever they want, but there is no law written down in the constitution that says we are forced to believe the same things. Our country is a melting pot of cultures. Atheism is a progressive part of that cultural blend. Love your fellows because they are made of flesh and blood, Love your peers because they have flaws, wonderful personalities, because they are human, they bleed, they have feelings, just like you. I am an atheist. And I love you all, no matter what your belief.

• Is this a leading question?

Do the majority of religious persons lack religious tolerance? Even if a majority of them did would that implicate the entire group? To agree that atheists lack religious tolerance is to say that simply by not believing in a (or multiple) gods, a person looses a moral compass. There are many intolerant people out there and to tie such a personal characteristic to one group is entirely unfair.

• Been on both sides of the fence.

When I was a Christian, I was never criticized or ostracized by anyone for expressing my views. But as my questioning mind and the seeking of knowledge led me to being an atheist, I've encountered plenty of intolerance, even to the point of having friends and family members disown me. I never initiated conversations based on my new views, yet I soon discovered that my religious friends and colleagues often brought up religious matters, and if I was to raise questions based on my own observations, it was seriously frowned upon, to the point where some former "friends" were of the view I'd been corrupted by Satan and was therefore to be avoided. I would never sever a friendship based on a friend's religious views (unless they were extreme and advocated violence), so I ask you ... who is it that lacks tolerance?

• No, Atheists are very tolerant.

The far majority of atheists are very tolerant of other religions and beliefs. Many atheists receive bullying when they tell people they are an atheist so they are forced to keep their beliefs bottled up inside them. It is religious people that need to learn to be more tolerant. Atheists will be bombarded by the topic of God most of their life. Religious people rarely hear about atheism unless they are actively seeking information on it.

• No

I haven't seen any convincing arguments to assert that atheists as a whole are intolerant. The typical argument is of an atheist opposing mandatory prayer in schools or a nativity scene on public land. When atheists do this, they are challenging the ability of Christians to make their religion mandatory. If you want mandatory prayer in schools, then you'll also have to accept mandatory Muslim prayer, or even mandatory Satanic rituals.

• No, they do not.

No, atheists do not lack religious tolerance. It is necessary to consider something in order to know if one does not believe in it, and it requires a degree of tolerance in order to consider something, so I think that theists probably are quite tolerant, though I believe this is a common misconception.