Do Barbie Dolls need to be factual representations of women's bodies?

Asked by: Demo_User
  • Children realize Barbies aren't representative of people

When you get down to it, the barbie is plastic. It's not real. Children realize this. As a kid, I never looked at a Barbie's face and thought, "Gee, I wanna look like her." I knew Barbies were deformed and that it was impossible to attain their features.

I *have* looked at magazines and wondered, "Gee, why can't I look like her?" Magazines contain real people, but because of digital editing, those people can portray unrealistic expectations. Flawless skin, flawless makeup, extreme slimness, etc. Just not real. But because these are real people under all the touch-ups and editing, someone might think that she or he *should* be able to attain that. Honestly, I used to think that there were just "perfect" people because of magazines. Now that I'm older, I see that everyone has imperfections.

Personally, I've never seen Barbies as "perfect". I have always seen them as characters, who were sometimes pretty. But not pretty in the sense that I would have wanted to look like a Barbie. Think about it like this... There are a lot of pretty babies. But even if you think a baby is pretty, you probably don't want to look like a baby. Haha!

• Times have changed

Although Barbie is considered a staple of childhood toys, it is not necessarily the model of body image in children, particularly in the modern world.

With increasing technology use, children have a higher chance of looking up to those on the big screen rather than a fictitious doll of play. It is the perceptions of the past where dolls were a common past time that Barbie has been considered a role model. However, children with increased exposure to pop culture will become more highly influenced by TV and pop stars.

Children become more attuned to more relatable individuals sharing similar physical and emotional features through the tv screens. This can be contrasted to the past where the sole form of entertainment was via physical items of toys rather than via technology.

• Barbie the self governed imagination tool.

Barbie Dolls are a fantasy roll play toy for children. Here imagination takes flight
    as kids create less than realistic scenarios for Barbie in a make believe world
    free from societal ideals and the harsh realities of topical opinion and influence.

Barbie with her 6 millimeter chest and permanently hairless physique isn't a teacher
    nor a roll model substitute for life experience… she's a self governed imagination tool.

Body dysmorphia issues could arise from many factors like genetic predisposition, and neurobiological factors such as malfunctioning of serotonin in the brain, if playing with thin dolls effects body esteem that probably will be a physically healthier person in the long run.

GWL-CPA says2014-03-10T02:29:22.573
Only when they fart.