Do beauty pageants serve a purpose in today's society?

• They give many confidence.

When I first started doing pageants, I had little to no self esteem. I self harmed, was suicidal, and had eating disorder tendencies. I also had extremely bad anxiety and social anxiety. Pageants have given me not only more confidence, but a way to meet others who share the same interests. It is a way to get your platform out there and bring awareness to things that may be taboo or tend to be overshadowed, ie mental health awareness. While some parents go overboard in pageants, many children who do natural ones such as NAM or MAC are very thoughtful, well spoken young ladies. In these pageants and ones such as MAO or Miss USA, interview and talent play a humongous part in scoring; your answers must be thoughtful and show you personality while showing you have a true understanding of current events and situations in daily life.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with pageants. There are very few kids I have met through pageantry that do not enjoy them. Many even meet their best friends through it. If doing pageants gives people confidence and makes them happy with themselves, who are others to judge it?

• Beauty Pageants in Today's Society

I think that today, beauty pageants are looked at all over the world. As a little girl, I would look at the pageant girls and wish to be them. Now days, society holds girls' appearances to such a high standard. When girls look at these pageant queens who have the flawless bodies, they turn to extreme dieting and unhealthy diet pills that are terrible for your bodies. Society can no longer accept girls for what they look like. God made us all unique and the body shaming takes a toll on women in today's society.

• YES! Pageants are more than just physical appearance

If people would learn more than just what the see on TV they would know that pageants are more than just the persons appearance. The two heavily weighted categories of a pageants are talent and the private interview. The purpose of beauty pageants is to promote a charity that is close to the competitors heart not just how good their hair and make-up looks.

• Of Course They Serve a Purpose.

I love competing in pageants! When I started competing, my self-confidence was non-existent. Through the various pageants and systems I competed in, I learned to love myself and feel good about who I was. Through pageants I have also learned public speaking skills, leadership skills, and interview skills, just to name a few. I have learned how to answer impossible questions while under a lot of pressure, and believe me; this skill comes in handy a lot. I love volunteering and before I had my title, people would just push me aside when I wanted to help. When I was crowned, charities and non profits were blowing up my phone to have my help out at their event. I was ecstatic. I have made numerous friends from around the country and I would not trade any of my pageant days for anything.

• Confidence is the key

Beauty pageants are not all about the beauty. Nine times out of ten if a girl participating has all the confidence in the world yet may not be the "prettiest" goes out there and struts herself and shows that she is a beautiful confident girl she will crush her competition.

• Strengthen women in many ways

A lot of young girls enter pageants insecure and afraid to voice their opinion. Many leave pageants, win or lose. With many skills such as leadership skills and the ability to speak in public. Which are great skills to acquire in life. "the unrealistic bar" is to be live a healthy lifestyle ? Whats wrong with living a healthy lifestyle and feeling better about your self ?

• They are a purpose on today's society

Man would like to know who is the strongest on arm wrestling. Same thing with women they would like to know who looks the best. It a competition its like plays sports so i don't know what is the difference. That is my opinion there is a purpose in today's society.

• They are a purpose on today's society

• Yes they are a competition

Yes beauty pageants do have a purpose in today's world. They are a form of competition and can teach people a lot of good. The issue is that too many people get too caught up in them and turn them into something they aren't meant to be. When this happens beauty pageants are no longer good for society.

• Objectification of women is important for Capitalism

If we want stores like department stores to continue to thrive in the modern times, we need to encourage the objectification of women. There are many reasons for this, but the two big ones are that it is already in place in most Judeo-Christian societies. Secondly, it encourages a healthy economy.

• A hardline caricaturization of Womanhood

Most of the beauty pageants who are awarded share the following traits, barring few exceptions- 1.) fair complexion, 2.) slim figure, 3.) use of cosmetics to enhance beauty in order to fit themselves along archaic ideas of feminine beauty. Thus, it is clear these pageants motivates young women to choose wrong models who have done nothing other than enhancing their natural looks which just fits into a patriarchal definition of what a women should look like. Making them wear skimpy, outfit etc. Beauty pageants are not a celebration of womanhood but a barbed wire that is as pungent as the idea of racism. Instead there should be competitions that recognise women who are actually doing something on ground and bringing change in the lives of people.

• Its changing our society

Young women and little girls are wanting to look up to the wrong people such as beauty pageants ladies and our society is telling these girls to live up to these standards and that we have to be flawless but that's impossible so these girls are putting themselves on drugs or unhealthy diets and its bad for their health. Therefore beauty
    pagents do more harm than good.

• What is the purpose of beauty pageants

I think that beauty pageants are just for people that want to show off there kids to the world and for women to off their bodies to show how skinny they are but you should think of how much money they need for bills and taxes but they need money for pageants.

• Bc i no.

No they don't. They just don't okay. Because I said so, they just don't. I said they don't. I'm really really reeeaaaaally really hungry so I am not in the mood to argue. I'm just here to proclaim that they don't. End of discussion. Thanks y'all for reading this and wasting your time on my unreasonable rant bc I'm hungry :)

• Bc i no.

• It Downgrades Self-Esteem

I may not identify as a female, but I do believe that beauty pageants are a bad thing for today's society. First of all, so many people around the world are self-conscious due to them not fitting in with "Today's Standards". It could lead someone to an eating disorder which is probably not the best thing for someone to go through. I know people who harm themselves because they aren't comfortable with they're body. Thanks for taking time out of your day to read this. Oh also, I'm not a feminist.

• Wewew erfe er3

Erfgrwe wrw3r wer w4r ewrw wrwr w rqf wre t3 er w r twe r t er t wer rt e wt e wrt w t ewr te rw t we rt we r te wrt we tq f scg yh y yre er qa f q wr f w

• Wewew erfe er3

• They mislead young women to believe that beauty is all about appearance

The only people who get to enter the competition are tall skinny people. They call it beauty paegenst bc thats what their idea of beauty is. We should teach our children that inner beauty is the most essential thing to women. I would agree that beauty paegents serve a purpose in today's society if non skinny or disabled women get to participate. Smart does not measured by beauty and beauty does not measured by appearance.