• Yes, because in the end they will profit from it.

I can take this a number of ways, but I can give you few examples. For example, if the food is of poor quality at a restaurant, then the consumer will most likely not venture into the establishment. If the majority of the public does not support the way in which their products are made (such as Gap using cheap foreign Labor) then they have a right to boycott and go to a company that supports their views. Also considering Labor, if the worker is able to distinguish himself with his talents, the business will be more likely in allocated some funds on getting that specific worker in their company.

• They want to profit.

Yes, businesses succeed in regulating themselves, because they want to profit. A business does not want a public relations nightmare on its hands, for serving bad food if it is a restaurant, or for unethical practices if it is a bank. Businesses know that the public wants to see honest business.

• Businesses try to get away with anything they can

That is one reasons why we have to have a government, as much as some people would love to get rid of the government. The problem is now, some businesses have become so big that they have great influence over the government. So, they can pretty much get away with anything they want. If businesses could regulate themselves, they would not care so much about buying the government.

• No, I don't believe they succeed in self-regulation.

If businesses were successful in regulating themselves then there wouldn't have been any need to create government agencies that help to regulate them. The FDA, the FDIC and other organizations were all adopted because businesses were cutting corners in order to achieve more profits and in the process hurting their customers. I think history has shown us that self-regulation doesn't work.

• No They Don't

I do not believe businesses succeed in regulating themselves. I believe businesses succeed in being greedy and stepping on their employees to accept higher goals in profits. American businesses are good at this and they don't care what they do to the people as long as they make an extra buck at the end of the day. For a business, laws are just the problems you have to work around or find a loophole for, they don't regulate themselves.