Do children benefit from attending boarding school?

• Boarding schools are beneficial!

Yes! People have a stereotypical saying that kids who go to boarding schools don't see their parents and are disciplined with beatings and yelled at, but this isn't military school. This is boarding school and teachers are very laid back and relaxed. They don't beat you and children see their parents probably every break they have and on weekends. Christmas is two to three weeks, Thanksgiving is one week, spring break is about three weeks. As well in winter and every four weeks, the students have a four-day break.

Kids there aren't snobby rich kids. Many are on scholarships and children there are very accepting. Students are also getting a first-class education and most are accepted into Ivy League colleges, whereas public school kids have a lesser chance. So don't jump to conclusions about how horrible boarding schools are. They aren't bad and I know from first hand experience. Check out the Andover Song on YouTube; this will definitely change your mind about boarding school.

• Admissions Staff/University of Chicago

I currently work with the head of admissions at ( U of Chicago) and we very often offer students a seat from boarding schools such as ; Phillips Exeter Academy, Groton, Phillips Andover Academy, Etc. We consider the schools rigorous curriculum and recognize the college preparation the students are given. We do not claim that they are better than regular public schools but in a way we can distinguish the way each student is prepared by the outcome of the students first year at college. Most boarding schools prepare students for ongoing education, independent responsibility, time management and more.

• Boarding HIGH SCHOOL is a great experience

I am going to a boarding high school and I believe it is a fantastic opportunity for a child who is ready for it. It offers many opportunities in an out of school that might not be available in a small town or a school that doesn't life up to your expectations. It fosters a sense of independence and helps children reach their full potential by challenging themselves. Sometimes, the very top schools (Andover, Exeter, Deerfield, etc.) are very competitive and place a lot of pressure on students, but schools such as the one I am attending is still one of the top, but also wants to make sure that the students are supportive of each other. I think that anyone younger that 14 is too young to be attending boarding school. Many say that you should grow up with your family, and you still do! I see my family almost every weekend and we spend all of the long holidays together. I don't feel as if I have made any kind of mistake. But do know, boarding school isn't for everyone. The student should be mature, and ready to learn about themselves and work hard to become the very best they can be.

• Yes, but depends on the school, the child and the age

There is no question that the top 20 boarding schools in the US are a great opportunity, and most kids will have a tough time even academically qualifying to attend, and will likely not be accepted. These are very, very difficult schools to get in to. If your high school student is a top student, is ready for high school at the highest level, and can perform well on the SAT test, than boarding school is a fantastic option, both academically and socially. If, however, parents are looking to dump their average child at a second rate boarding school for their kid that is younger than high school... That is a disgrace, unless the circumstances are so extreme that some kind of specialized boarding school is needed for intervention purposes. So there is really no "yes" or "no" answer to the question. It depends on the circumstances.

• Boarding School is manadatory for each child

Yes I do believe that Boarding school should be made mandatory for each child. It is important for the overall development of a child which is really difficult to provide when the child in a day school. We adults understand the importance of networks more than ever in these tough economic times. Networks of friends and acquaintances who know you, understand you and can vouch for you are one of the lasting benefits of a boarding school experience. When you live with your classmates 24/7, you really get to know them. You also appreciate them, and, even more important, learn to get along with them. The diverse nature of most boarding school populations these days means that your child has the potential for a network of friends which literally could stretch around the world.

• Boarding does Matter!

Boarding means getting into ivy league colleges. In addition, it makes you interact as a family member to your teachers and friends. Boarding is the best! It's splendid!!! Boarding life will make you learn how to be independent and be disciplined. You will encounter all smart kids and build a very good relationship with the school!

• Independent Organized Self-Reliance

Studying at a boarding school enables one to interact with people from diverse multicultural and multinational backgrounds, exposing one to different lifestyles and making one more adaptable to various situations. Therefore, one is well- equipped to deal with daily challenges, open to trying out new tasks that foster better learning,

• Great core values. Good all round education. Friends for life

Boarding school is what you make of it and what your parents do to support you. If you are simply outsourced, then the outcome would be no better if they kept you at home. If you are encouraged, supported and engaged in a shared experience it is great. In any case boarders will always outperform day boys because of the extra time at school and with their peers.

• Is that even a question?

About two years ago, I sent my 15 years old girl to an american boarding school. I'd have to say that i couldn't have missed her more, but in the end, it was all worth it. Don't get me wrong, My child is very smart, but, she always failed math. When my child came back, i couldn't be happier. It's amazing how her grades went up (EVEN IN MATH!) and now shes more mature then ever. She said that she had the best time of her life and she'll do it over and over again if she could.
    Of course while she was there, we talked on Skype every two days and she always bragged about how beautiful the place is, and how much it helps her want to learn more. She also introduce me to many of the friends she gained. She said that in that whole year, even the learning was fun. Anyway, tomorrow, i'm sending my child there again after a year break.
    That boarding school is so great and beautiful, with many outstanding activities. Http://www.Boardingschoolreview.Com/school_ov/school_id/587

• Encourages independence and confidence

Absolutely fantastic experience for children, as long as regular contact with parents and quality family time in holidays. I was sent to boarding school as I lived in an African country where school stopped at 11 years old. I went 3 months before my 11th birthday and I loved boarding school. It teaches you so much about being independent, confident and resilient. It teaches exemplary social skills and self esteem. Yes, there is bullying (as there is in all schools) but boarding schools generally tackle this issue much better as it can't be passed off to parents to handle. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. Its not just for rich people as my parents were busy doing work in vulnerable communities and my fathers employer paid for me to go as they needed my fathers skills. Its really ignorant to condemn boarding schools if you've never been.

• Family first, always!

Full respect for boarders and parents, but not for my son who loves being around home - all depends on the child. Don't underestimate the immersion, nor family life's crucial importance.
    My son is a day boy, but is still sucked in to the culture of long days and Saturday learning - he hates it, so taking him out after just 2 terms, it's just too much.

• Boarding School Syndrome

Do your research on this physiological impact, and personal experiences of boarders, as much as you can. In brief, boarding school, are risk and bets, with tremendous loss, with long term effects, dont just read benefits of the boarding school, read also the drawbacks, by keeping in mind, some school websites wants you to spend $30000-$40000 for them.

Posted by: WXrg
  • Boarding School makes one learn bad behaviour.

In boarding school, there are no parents or there is nobody to closely monitor and control any bad behaviour seen in a child. The child can pick up bad habits from other children because there are so many children from different backgrounds and upbringing and a child can easily learn bad habits such as being quarrelsome and abusive.

Posted by: Olla
  • I Think A Kid Should Have A Say!

I have a family of 5 (including myself), and I absolutely love them all. I was forced into boarding schools when I was a kid. I hated it! That's why when my parents turn 70, I'm returning the favor by dumping them at a retirement home. I was bullied, and the teachers would paddle you if you did bad. Plus, your kid is going to miss you! I missed my family everyday I was in that place. Kids shouldn't be forced into that crap.

• Boarding school are for lazy and irresponsible parents

It is possible to manage both the child and work. The parent is more of a life coach to the child - guiding them thro all the success and failures that a child goes through.Children attending boarding miss the soul of life making them incomplete and pushes them to world materialist pleasures

• Defiantly not !

Children should be able to have their freedom with their friends and family and not have to be restricted from having FUN and having THEIR CHILDHOOD. My friend is being told she is going to boarding school and I am absolutely distraught and no way in hell am I going to stand there and watch her freedom to be stripped and torn away from her!!

• A child needs their parents.

My parents are talking about sending me away to a boarding school in Blackstone, Virginia. I'm terrified of the thought of not seeing my parents that much. I come from a middle class family. I'm not rich, and I'd get made fun of. Like any child would. No child should go through that. Plus, children need life skills. Only public school can do that.

• The poo it

Guggenheim nanny n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n. H n n n n n n n n n n n n n h h h he h h b

• The poo it

• No it should not

Children are feeling lonely in the boarding school as they cannot meet with their parents and they cannot enjoy their life and children should get love and affection from their grandparents and their parents and the teachers in boarding schools will always say them to study and children feel embarrassed by that