Do children benefit from attending boarding school?

• Admissions Staff/University of Chicago

I currently work with the head of admissions at ( U of Chicago) and we very often offer students a seat from boarding schools such as ; Phillips Exeter Academy, Groton, Phillips Andover Academy, Etc. We consider the schools rigorous curriculum and recognize the college preparation the students are given. We do not claim that they are better than regular public schools but in a way we can distinguish the way each student is prepared by the outcome of the students first year at college. Most boarding schools prepare students for ongoing education, independent responsibility, time management and more.

• Boarding is an engaging and challenging experience, so kids get a grip of life outside home.

Children will learn independence, and will quickly adapt to the fact that parents will not be with them forever, unlike day schools, where children are given kisses and hugs and sweets after a bad day. Sorry day school kids, but that won't happen when you're 31 and maybe had a bad day at work. But children still have a healthy relationship with their parents, as they can write, call, e-mail, text and visit them at holidays. On another matter, children will make new friends, be well fed, educated brilliantly, and have a brand new home to explore. Overall, boarding schools are excellent!

• Encourages independence and confidence

Absolutely fantastic experience for children, as long as regular contact with parents and quality family time in holidays. I was sent to boarding school as I lived in an African country where school stopped at 11 years old. I went 3 months before my 11th birthday and I loved boarding school. It teaches you so much about being independent, confident and resilient. It teaches exemplary social skills and self esteem. Yes, there is bullying (as there is in all schools) but boarding schools generally tackle this issue much better as it can't be passed off to parents to handle. It was the best thing that ever happened to me. Its not just for rich people as my parents were busy doing work in vulnerable communities and my fathers employer paid for me to go as they needed my fathers skills. Its really ignorant to condemn boarding schools if you've never been.

• Making choices that matter and taking responsibility for yourself

Making choices that matter and taking responsibility for yourself - living on your own isn't always easy. There is, of course, plenty of support from faculty, advisors and peers. But still, you need to take care of yourself and take responsibility for your own actions to a much greater degree than if you were living at home. While there's definitely structure within the boarding school day, you still need to make choices around how you spend your time, what activities and opportunities to take, and how to create a reasonable balance between work and play. You'll be able to make choices that have a direct impact on the things you learn and the life you lead at boarding school. For parents: this roughly translates to increased maturity, greater self-sufficiency, and superior preparation for college.

• Yes, but depends on the school, the child and the age

There is no question that the top 20 boarding schools in the US are a great opportunity, and most kids will have a tough time even academically qualifying to attend, and will likely not be accepted. These are very, very difficult schools to get in to. If your high school student is a top student, is ready for high school at the highest level, and can perform well on the SAT test, than boarding school is a fantastic option, both academically and socially. If, however, parents are looking to dump their average child at a second rate boarding school for their kid that is younger than high school... That is a disgrace, unless the circumstances are so extreme that some kind of specialized boarding school is needed for intervention purposes. So there is really no "yes" or "no" answer to the question. It depends on the circumstances.

• After the First Few Weeks Already Boarding School Has Changed My Son for the Better

After video games for sometimes 10 plus hours a day, arguing over school involvements and missing homework, not eating the meals I prepared , being his playmate day after day because his peers were not doing anything else either, tutoring him after tutoring....We visited a local boarding school....
    It was just to see...

When you know you know. After his warm interview and excellent test results, my son began to realize that he did want to go there. Once he was accepted, he decided to go and never once changed his mind.

He has only been there for several weeks and we have had some of the best phone conversations ever. Not about what and who he killed in his last video game, but about the swimming he did with five kids in the ocean, about the trip he took to a national monument (and about its history) and about some of his goals to get awards at the school. He talked about how fun his new classes are!

Is this my son? If this is the way the school is changing him, then so be it. I am missing his beautiful face and his presence in our home at night. But most of the time he was on his computer eating junk food, even after golf, tutoring and playing with the dog, so
    I feel like I made a sacrifice for his mental and physical health.

Only time will tell if this is the right place for him. But I already know we have changed his future from community college and living at home still addicted to gaming at the age of 24 to the possibilities of an excellent four year college, great grades and most importantly self confidence and a love of learning for the real world around him.

Everyone in our family is successful and has a passion. I know now that he too will find success and passion for life.

When we mentioned the weekend dates we would be coming to see him, he said he had to see what was going on. He had friends now and interesting activities he just doesn't want to miss out on. Now that is what I want to hear!

Of course I am still going to be nearby for the weekends. But on his terms....Not mine.
    Boarding school is a sacrifice for parents that truly love their children. Not parents that do not love their children.

Our son has never been so happy. He has never felt so loved. He knows he has been saved.
    The best is yet to come.

• Boarding schools are beneficial!

Yes! People have a stereotypical saying that kids who go to boarding schools don't see their parents and are disciplined with beatings and yelled at, but this isn't military school. This is boarding school and teachers are very laid back and relaxed. They don't beat you and children see their parents probably every break they have and on weekends. Christmas is two to three weeks, Thanksgiving is one week, spring break is about three weeks. As well in winter and every four weeks, the students have a four-day break.

Kids there aren't snobby rich kids. Many are on scholarships and children there are very accepting. Students are also getting a first-class education and most are accepted into Ivy League colleges, whereas public school kids have a lesser chance. So don't jump to conclusions about how horrible boarding schools are. They aren't bad and I know from first hand experience. Check out the Andover Song on YouTube; this will definitely change your mind about boarding school.

• They help children

Boarding schools teach young people to become confident and well rounded adults in their future life's. It helps children to manage things on their own and handle their life without parents. In my opinion I would say is boarding schools are helpful in our lives and in children's life. Thank You!!!

• Yes they do

They do because of Friends that are made, people come from all over the world and are all different so you will find a good friend in there somewhere. Boarding school also improves family education because you are not always near each other so the time you send together is more vault.

• All Good Kids

My son who attends Blair Academy came home to our house in Colts Neck and brought along his three friends he wrestles with. One of the kids lives in Alpine, one is from Little Silver which is in our county, and the other is from the Upper East Side of Manhattan. All obviously come from rich and wealthy families like my kid and I think that is great! I grew up attending the Ranney shool where Bruce Springsteen's kids went to school. So I think its great that even though I came from a wealthy family and now my kid does and his friends, none of them are snobby as they portray rich kids on TV and in Movies. All kids including mine are grateul and understand how lucky they are. And guess what I would rather have my kid involved in a cocaine ring at his wealthy school then doing and smoking other drugs like meth, weed, and heroin. Public schools are just sad. Whether its boarding school or private day school just do not send your kid to public school with poor kids unless the public school is a very good school.

• Boarding schools are a farce

It is clear that those ignorant, snobby and lazy parents will undoubtedly send their children away, only to be ruthlessly cast aside by virtue of the serious mismanagement and carelessness of the staff. Whenever the thought comes to mind of children receiving an unparalleled education at the expense of losing their entire childhood memories with their family, the immediate thought that should immediately come to mind and shake even the coldest of hearts, is how will the child cope with the psychological distress of living without genuine role models within their lives, as opposed to what are, in essence, strangers.

• I miss family

As I am in a boarding school, I miss my family a lot and the memories which I had with them makes me feel like crying. A child always needs family support and teach to be a good human being. Staying in a boarding school makes a child feel lacking of love and loneliness which affects her study and even make better possibilities to get spoiled.

• Children don't ever benefit from attending boarding school.

There are several disadvantages to attending boarding school. There are some social network sites that are blocked during the school week. In most boarding schools, you can only go so far away from the premises when you wish to go out with friends over the weekend. Many boarding schools are religious, and students are often forced to attend and sit through services that may not pertain to their beliefs. Younger pupils are often bullied by older boarders and patronized by staff members. Parents shift the job of disciplining their child onto the school and staff.

• Abandonment- limited- involvement

Young children need the stability love and support of their family when growing up. Lack of true love and nourishment is the source of decay in our present environment.

Children need to be guided by those who love them not left alone to float without a raft, rudder or guide.

• Not good .

Away from home , mean dormmaster with a satanic twist , studying day and night , no contact with girls to speak of , mild sexual abuse and hazing leaving bruises , repeating a year before i started , chores at 06:30 done in fear ,to this day never married and still trying to heal .

• No, children do not benefit from boarding school, because those children will miss out on important life lessons that can only be taught in a family.

Life consists of far more than just reading, writing, and arithmetic. Some may argue that boarding schools may offer top notch education. However, there are some things in life that can only be learned at home and in a family setting. Kids who attend boarding schools may miss out on these important life lessons during their developmental stages in life.

Posted by: Sk8brdrCar
  • It is important to solidifying nuclear family relationships that the child be raised at home.

School is often a difficult experience for many children. It is certainly filled with ups, downs, trials, and tribulations. It is important to have the support of your parents during these times. It is also important to have the guidance of a parent during these times, as peers can easily lead a child astray. Boarding schools cannot monitor, nor give a child, all the support that they need on a daily basis. The lack of support by a parent can make a child feel abandoned. This feeling of abandonment tears at the nuclear family fabric.

Posted by: J Lamb 43
  • Boarding school does not give children a good social background and makes it more difficult when they enter the real world.

Boarding school keeps students in a bubble. They do not have exposure to the same troubles and life experiences as students who attend public school. Public school gives students a better grasp on the reality of what life is like for students less fortunate than themselves, because students who attend boarding school typically come from more well-off families.

Posted by: WardGrad
  • Children should be with their family..

I will never recommend boarding school for children. A child need to get their family's support, love and affection. They will miss these all things when they send to a boarding school. Staying in a boarding school makes a child feel loneliness that may affect his/her study. Also have a chance to get spoiled.

• Boarding school is not good for mental health and normal relationships.

Boarding school is not good for mental health and normal relationships.
    Kids do not interact with each others normally like people do in real life, they are very isolated and living in pressure. It's simply not good for their mental health, and it's not a normal life. They do not experience the life we are living right now; It's even worse if it's a boy school; it seriously affects teen's mental health and their right to choose.