• Children are the future, our opinions matter too!!

There are thousands of kids expressing their opinions, and protesting, changing the world. Without kids opinions wouldn't matter near as much as they do with us. Adults always say that we need to stop expressing our opinions and tell us who to be, but if we didn't follow our hearts and what we wanted to do, and ignore the ignorant adults who tell us not to, there would be no human society. Because children express who they are, and do what they want there are doctors, lawyers, singers, and so much more, so in my opinion our opinions do matter!!!!

• They can matter

Are you referring to the students of Stoneman Douglas High School? If so, my answer to the question is yes. These teenagers saw their classmates gunned down in front of them, that's a trauma they will carry for the rest of their lives. And it's not just Stoneman Douglas High, but Sandy Hook students, too and everybody else who survived a mass shooting. After the massacre, 100 students from Stoneman Douglas High traveled 400 miles to the state capitol to demand change. You have to give them credit.

• Depends on situation, but overall yes

What do you think debate clubs are for? We don't always value children's opinions because they "don't know anything on the subject" or are "too young" to do research. But put a child in a situation where they are passionate and informed on, they can have some extremely insightful and intelligent arguments.

Here are some examples:

As I mentioned already Debate clubs. The topic of discussion has kids research it and therefore their opinion is valuable. Say the topic was "THS (this house supports) Slum tourism" The first thing a child in this club would do is find as much research on both sides of the motion. They then share and exchange information and ideas with their peers to further expand their knowledge on the subject matter. Then the youth write a speech on both sides of the issue while working with their partner. This kids are now extensively educated on the given subject matter (slum tourism) and should have their opinions valued.

Example 2: Protests and similar situations

Hear of the school walk-outs? I'm not trying to start another debate here on gun rights but these kids had the ability to think for themselves and organize a protest to help save their lives and make sure -in certain situations- their future generations and more of their friends weren't killed in school shootings. There were some very intelligent points made that I think are valid and defiantly matter. One student held up a sign saying "I can't go to the corner store and buy a kinder surprise egg because they are 'too dangerous' yet guns are perfectly fine." or something along those lines.

Now there are certain subjects that some children may not be well suited to form a prepared, informed, opinion on them but as a whole I agree with the motion of "Do children's opinions matter?"

• Kids opinions matter because everyday kids do something great

Kids do great things everyday like they make books,inventions,some make businesses and so much more so i say kids opinions matter and I hope any kids reading this will do something to show people that you matter and go into the world to do something that will make people realize.

Posted by: bank
  • Do you have to be 18+, just to be seen as a person?

I have been excited to go do certain things, but my dreams get crushed, when I realize any indication that it's, "18 and older only". I mean seriously. Are minors property to you, society? It is rather ageist to give adults more rights and freedom than kids. Although there are ageist rules for a child's good [e.G., 21+ to drink, and 16+ to drive], other rules are plain unfair, and not needed, such as being 18+ to vote. Why can't kids help make a difference? Let them vote! Voting is the only effective way to vote, as a letter could be sent back, a phone call can be declined, and a protest can be often violently shut down. Just let kids have the same freedom of expression and voting as adults do-If kids are not property to the society, then LET THEIR VOICE BE HEARD, AND GIVE THEM RIGHTS!

• Opinions Matter People!

Imagine this as, "Do Adults Opinions Matter." You know every adult would be over on this side saying yes, we have so much more experience than kids, kids are idiots. Frankly all of you who say us kids are idiots is an awful thing to say. Not every adult got a great education. Not every kid has gotten a great education. But if you think about it kids have crazy imaginations, but their crazy imaginations can lead to incredible inventions/ideas. So can adults, we are all human, every human has an opinion and it may be that you don't think everyone has an opinion! Saying kids are uneducated, I'd like to correct you there. I ask my parents stuff that I learn in school a lot and they don't have a clue what I am talking about. I know for a fact they got a great education and are quite intelligent in my mind. Things have changed and so has society, we can't do anything about it, just accept the fact that everyone has an opinion. I can't get over the fact that adults think they are so much better than us kids. So please re think about what you are commenting on before you post. Thanks! (Coming from a kid)

• At least as much as the next ignorant adult

How much do any of us know about anything and yet we all have a say. All perspectives should be considered. When I hear hard working blue collared simpletons who are incapable, or unwilling to consider the self destructive future consequences their careers have on the ecosystem, I still pause and listen because their concerns still matter. Even if people just want to say that something will hurt them, or make them uncomfortable others should listen. A good parent understands the importance of a child being comfortable to talk them. We want to reinforce constructive and civil communication by listening and being sensitive to their opinions. They aren't just children they are our children all of ours.

• Most of the time yes,

I feel like a lot of people on the yes side are children but they are right, children's opinions matter. Children are a complete different age and have a different perspective form adults, they look at things differently. They experience different things and have first hand experience on many topics adults do not.
    I see some opinions saying that adults should have the opinions and not children because adults were children once and have that experience too. While yes they were children once too, that can only apply to a limited number of things. Children live in a more advanced world with more technology and opportunities. The world they live in is very different from the world their parents lived in, and the world their parent's parents lived in.
    Children may not have the smartest opinions but its often important to hear them out because many live in a world that is very different from anybody else's and it still continues to change.

• Of course it is

Why shouldn't it be? We are the next society and it'll be our world. Yes the adults made it but, it's our job now to make it better for the generations after. So why should our ideas and opinions not matter? So, our opinions do matter! Yes yes yes yes

• Kids can correct adults!!!

You have to admit, sometimes kids can even correct you. It's not like that they can't correct adults. Children think about themselves, say they want candy or something, they can support it. So can adults. Children eventually turn into adults, it's not like they can start to be like one at this age.

• Politically, not really.

Funny thing is, kids tend to forget that the adults were once their exact age but now have more experience. As any adult who has been on this site long enough can attest, kids tend to have so foolish ideas like having both shorter school days and longer summer breaks will somehow make grades improve, or making laws against guns keeps the guns out of the hands of people who don't obey the law anyway. With today's entitled generation, it gets even worse as they expect the government to provide everything but forgetting that money for those things comes out of taxes. Sure they don't take taxes into consideration because many/most of them have yet to pay taxes. The reality is, kids, by comparison, are idiots and that is why they are not allowed to have their vote counted.

• Children can so very easily be manipulated. What you hear as their opinion is probably not their own.

Don't get me wrong here: children are very smart. Children are smarter than most adults think. The problem with many kids are the adults that influence their lives. Children's minds are so open that they are prone to accepting anything an adult teaches them as truth. When talking politically, most kids don't even know what they are arguing for. Their "opinions" are usually just words that an adult put into their head. Someone can easily manipulate a child into saying words that are not their own, and if you try to take that as important, you're misrepresenting the true breakdown of the opinions of a population.

• Children are stupid

I may be a bit to provocative in my headline my position is we need to disregard the identity of the mouthpiece and focus on the argument. And as I said kids are stupid. If a child can research and articulate a quality argument good for him (or her) but that's a small minority.

• Not in the way that people s to think

Kids' opinions are ill informed, uneducated, and generally 'right' for the wrong reasons if they are right at all. They sometimes have good ideas, don't get me wrong, but their opinions are worth a lot less than anyone else's, generally, simply due to the fact that they are uneducated, undeveloped, and overall pretty irresponsible.

• This question obviously stems from the marches on Washington by thousands of high-school students. Sadly these kids are being manipulated for political reasons.

I will strongly contend that those who suddenly insist that kids' opinions matter on very complexe issues are simply using those kids as a means of string up our emotions around the issue.

Gun control is the issue the left-wing biased media and left-wing politicians and are trying to use to manipulate public opinion.
    This is blatantly obvious if you know what happened and you have critical thinking.

Because we know the FBI and the local sheriff had ample warnings about the potential violent problems with the shooter. In fact they were directed to evidence that the kid was planning a school shooting. Yet his name was never flagged as someone who shouldn't be allowed to buy a gun, so he bought a gun. This was a deadly failure on the part of the authorities.

Then the actual shooting event was prolonged by the cowardly actions of members of the local sheriff's department. The resource officer is clearly seen 'chickening out' in the videos. And 4 other officers from that department waited outside while shots rang out and kids lay dying.

On the CNN town hall and in those marches on Washington DC, not one student express any anger at the authorities who could have stopped the shooting from happening in the first place, but failed monumentally to do so.

All the anger of these kids is being directed at the NRA, the law abiding, responsible gun owners who are less likely to commit any kind of crime with their guns. In the US, the issue of gun control is a second amendment issue and one political party supports the second amendment and the other political party is opposed it

In this particular shooting we know where the failures occurred and by who, yet the anger and calls for change are directed at measures that wouldn't fix any of the failures that could have stopped the shooting.

They're talking about the shooter's age to buy a gun, when there were more compelling reasons than age the authorities could have used to bar this person from buying a gun.

America has a gun culture. That means many people, both law abiding and criminal minded, love guns. If you make it illegal to have guns, then people will simply get them illegally, They are several other gun cultures, like The Philippines, South Africa, Jamaica, Lebanon, and others.

Then there is the issue of illegal gun running and backyard gun manufacturing, In fact, I watch one documentary where the gun runner said his best business is in states with the strongest gun laws.

So these kids are being used to stir emotion around a heartbreaking issue (mass shootings) to promote a political agenda (gun control), while the true scope and depth of the issue (America's gun culture) get's ignored. Better yet, the reason people are resorting to mass murders. Except for Islamic terrorism, this seems to happen in the US more than anywhere else.

Arganger says2018-04-25T19:39:28.007
I find it hard to post a side, because children's opinions SHOULD matter, but generally they aren't given any thought.