Do Christians pick and choose what they support in the Bible?

• Only the "good" ones.

I remain thankful that, at least what I can perceive through public displays, the majority of Christians are selective about which parts of the Bible are relevant, and which are not. If Christians do not pick and choose what they should support in the Bible, then they're left supporting the idea that a man can rape a woman, pay her father about $800, and his punishment is that he's then forced to marry her.

• Some do .Also...

Some do ,which is not quite right...Also ,when Jesus died for humanity,He bought us with the price of his sacrifice.Thus ,some laws ,especially in Leviticus( a book in the Bible) ,were not necessary to be followed anymore,such as "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth"(which was a Law under Moses). Or a family had to sacrifice a sheep every year at a specific period of time to ask for forgiveness.Read Leviticus and you will see(it is not long and straightforward).

• Yes I do but its impossible not to.

Yes if everyone obeyed the bible we would kill each other and there would be no human race left on the earth. The bible is very violent, I cant tell you how many verses are in that condemn killing someone over something else. If people were to go exactly as those passages say at all times, I am not even sure what would be the result. The thing is you have to pick and choose, for instance the passages that say things along the lines of you should stone adulterers to death, well if you go to all of the bible then does that mean everyone seeking divorce because their spouses cheated and those cheating spouses should be stoned to death because the bible says so. Its all very twisted I honestly think we would kill each other.

• Some do Some don't

It really depends....There are about 2 Billion Christians world wide. I can't answer for every single one. I know that some Christians simply pick and choose. Others try to make certain sayings mean what they want. Others interpret the Bible to the best of their ability as a whole. Others follow an authoritative organization (e.G. Catholics) for the interpretation.
    I answer yes to the question however because I think that a good portion of Christians do go into the Bible with pre-conceived beliefs and use the Bible to fit their beliefs RATHER than actually using the Bible to form their beliefs. It all depends on the Christian I guess?

Posted by: Dmot
  • The answer is a resounding "yes".

But why stop there? Everyone picks and chooses what they support in the Bible and in every other book. So I'm afraid I don't get the gist of this opinion, or why it's controversial. If the thread is being instigated because some people are claiming that they believe "everything" in the Bible without any discernment, then, I suppose, you could start a thread that goes something like, "Are people who say they believe everything in the Bible (including that Pss 137 reflects a divine desire to kill babies) "nuts"? The answer to that question is...Oops, I guess that's as obvious as the original OP question.

Posted by: thg
  • I can tell you what I do

I am a Catholic ( stop throwing stuff at me) I can tell you that I guess they try to say that homosexuality is bad for whatever reason. I am in complete support of total equal rights for people who are gay or lesbian. The church tries to say that contraception is frowned upon and abortion is forbidden. Well I do not believe in abortion for personal reasons but that is a separate topic. The church also says that premarital sex is forbidden. Well obviously people are going to have sex and they are going to need contraception when they do. I completely support a couple's right to decide if they want to have sex and I think it is very important that they use contraception.

• Avoiding Cognitive Dissonance is a Necessity

If Christians were to have begun their religious journey from a position of the null hypothesis the entire bible would prove to be an unintelligible mess full of contradictions and untruth. If it weren't for the "inspired" religious leaders who claim they know what a god wants you to do and shows you how to pick and choose, very few would ever believe so much without justification and evidence.

• I used to believe otherwise...

I grew up in a denomination that is VERY conservative. (Think Michele Bachmann... In fact she was part of our denomination up until a couple years before she ran for President.) I used to believe that my denomination's doctrine of Biblical Infallibility was true and that our way of interpreting Scripture was the most accurate. In essence, we believed that the Bible was divinely inspired, word-for-word and remains accurate today.

Unfortunately for me, I was born gay. The denomination I was raised in believed and preached that it was my fault (or my parent's fault) that I had somehow chosen to be attracted to men, that I was going to Hell if I failed to repent and change. So I prayed and prayed, cried and cried; but no answer came from God, no road to change opened. I read constantly and found no answer that indicated there was a way to change my orientation; at least, none that actually worked for me.

My parents blame me for abuse I suffered, blame me for being kicked out of the military (rather than lie about myself) under DADT, they say blatantly hurtful things to me because of my orientation, and they ostracize and exclude me from the rest of my family, damaging both their and my relationships with other family members in the process. But the command they ignore regarding me is the one to put me to death. (Leviticus 20:13)

My parents pick and choose. Their reaction to my immutable characteristic of being gay is the most obvious example of the ways all Christians pick and choose (and rationalize those choices). Now, I remain a follower of Jesus, despite what some misguided Christians have done to me on his behalf. But, I also rationalize and pick and choose.

I would never support the genocide of thousands of people simply because they were in the way or didn't follow my religion. Yet the Bible recounts tales that indicate God and many of God's followers (Old Testament and New) willingly participate in such crimes. The general consensus across *most* of Christianity today is that the Holocaust was a huge crime against humanity. That Darfur was a huge crime against humanity. That the genocide against Bosnian Muslims was a huge crime against humanity. There are rational reasons to come to these beliefs, but they stand in stark opposition to the tale of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Christians pick and choose, as do adherents of every other religion on Earth. The choices and decisions each Christian makes vary, sometimes widely. Almost all of us choose to ignore at least one of Christ's teachings: Sell everything, give the proceeds to the poor, and follow Jesus. (Luke 18:18-30, also Matthew 19:21, Mark 10:21)

We elevate Jesus when he asked us to emulate him. We are worshipping his message to death when we should simply be following it. Not literally but authentically. All Christians pick and chooose and that's OK; but we SHOULD pick and choose MORE CAREFULLY.

• It really depends

Christianity is a broad term with many different denominations that believe in different aspects of the bible. Some add or subtract information from it and others will pervert it's message for their own doctrine. I believe this shouldn't be done and the bible clearly says not to do this, however many use it out of context to prove a certain point.

• Some, at least.

I cannot speak for every Christian; but I know a lot that do. However, since the majority of Christians I know do; I'm saying yes. This doesn't mean that people do it consciously, but most (in my experience) do it on some level. It's normally from the Old Testament; that's another thing.

• Only the bad ones.

Only bad Christians do that. A good Christian doesn't have one foot in and one foot out, but both feet firmly placed in the Bible.. If you only agree with 'most' the bible and not all, than you are 'almost' a Christian or similar to a Christian, but not a true Christian.

• We do not!!

We don't choose what we support in the Bible at least people who are true Christians don't. The real Christians believe the Bible in all entirety. If you are talking about the old testament than we have a reason for abandoning that. Jesus came and we don't have to follow those old rules any more. We can cut our hair and and we can choose not to wash our hands before we eat.(although that's kind of gross) The new testament is our law now and we follow that.

• It's half and half

Personally, I follow all parts of the bible instead of the cookie cutter sugar coated passages. Those who don't follow every bit of it cannot consider themselves followers of the Bible. Yes, there are a few passages one would deem violent and cruel, but the Bible is riddled with metaphors and double meanings, along with the errors of human kind. By taking those errors and changing them for the better, we can advance towards a better future for all.

Posted by: O.Z
  • Yes with a healthy dose of NO!

Yes, manipulative, self-serving and often uneducated readers of the Word of God do have a propensity for picking and choosing what they support in the word of God. According to the Bible, the Devil himself knows the Scriptures. He attempted to manipulate Jesus in the wilderness by quoting certain scripture to convince Jesus to fall to vanity, greed, and power. Of course Jesus rebuked the Devil at each attempt. Like the devil, far be it, that human beings would be exempt from such wayward thinking as we are sinners from the start according to the Christian faith. Not every christian that does this picking and choosing is aware that they are doing so, and this is, because not all christians are well versed with a extended level of understanding of the Holy Scriptures. And yes there are those who are very knowledgeable of the Bible, that do attempt justify themselves falsely through selective use of the bible to achieve some kind of personal and often nefarious agenda, and the bible speaks out against such dishonest practices, and there is a price to pay for those who misuse the Word of God and/or attempt to mislead followers of Christ.

With all that being said, I must be clear that the question "Do Christians pick and choose what they support in the Bible?" is a sweeping generalization, that leaves no room for argument to beyond absolutism. It commands that you either believe Christians as a WHOLE are selective, dishonest, or manipulative readers or are not. This is a trap argument as it would be false to give an absolute yes or no, and thereby makes both positions equally refutable.

Before I end this, I want to provide the other end of my argument that not all christians are like the ones I mentioned above. There are a vast number of christians who are very knowledgeable and have a good understanding of the Word, and they dedicate their lives to obeying the Word as it pertains to their individual lives without distortion or selfish plots.

Those who are anti-religious or practice another religion that make sweeping generalization, and stereotypes about christians as a whole. Those who do this, do so with a lack of knowledge and a limited understanding of what constitutes as being a true and honest Christian. Fail to consider that even the most disciplined christian is not exempt from falling short , because most christian knows that all have fallen short of the glory of God. The difference, between a christian in name only and an actual follower of Christ is that a true follower of Christ will bare the fruits of the spirit, and unless you know what those fruits are, you can not know a true follower, but you will always know when one who simply carries the title of "so-called Christian".

• Do Christians “Pick and Choose” Which Bible Rules They Obey?

I (Tim Keller) find it frustrating when I read or hear columnists, pundits, or journalists dismiss Christians as inconsistent because “they pick and choose which of the rules in the Bible to obey.” What I hear most often is “Christians ignore lots of Old Testament texts—about not eating raw meat or pork or shellfish, not executing people for breaking the Sabbath, not wearing garments woven with two kinds of material and so on. Then they condemn homosexuality. Aren’t you just picking and choosing what they want to believe from the Bible?”

It is not that I expect everyone to have the capability of understanding that the whole Bible is about Jesus and God’s plan to redeem his people, but I vainly hope that one day someone will access their common sense (or at least talk to an informed theological advisor) before leveling the charge of inconsistency.

Read more on:

• The Bible: The Written Word of God.

Some thirty-eight hundred times the Bible declares, “God said,” or “Thus says the Lord” (e.G. Ex. 14:1; 20:1; Lev. 4:1; Num. 4:1; Deut. 4:2; 32:48; Isa. 1:10, 24; Jer. 1:11; Ezek. 1:3; etc.). Paul also recognized that the things he was writing were the Lord’s commandments (1 Cor. 14:37), and they were acknowledged as such by the believers (1 Thess. 2:13). Peter proclaimed the certainty of the Scriptures and the necessity of heeding the unalterable and certain Word of God (2 Pet. 1:16-21). John too recognized that his teaching was from God; to reject his teaching was to reject God (1 John 4:6).

• Everything must be within context

The Bible covers a wide history, and is 2 testaments in one. Within the Old Testament are four dispensations. Therefore the Bible must be looked at from a more analytic point. There are transitions to be aware of. Laymen often cite passages in the Bible without actually looking at the history and context of the passage.

AnonyFeline says2013-08-17T07:40:17.630
Especially those who espouse to believe in the teachings of Christ, yet do not follow them.