Do Christians pick and choose what they support in the Bible?

• Only the "good" ones.

I remain thankful that, at least what I can perceive through public displays, the majority of Christians are selective about which parts of the Bible are relevant, and which are not. If Christians do not pick and choose what they should support in the Bible, then they're left supporting the idea that a man can rape a woman, pay her father about $800, and his punishment is that he's then forced to marry her.

• Some do .Also...

Some do ,which is not quite right...Also ,when Jesus died for humanity,He bought us with the price of his sacrifice.Thus ,some laws ,especially in Leviticus( a book in the Bible) ,were not necessary to be followed anymore,such as "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth"(which was a Law under Moses). Or a family had to sacrifice a sheep every year at a specific period of time to ask for forgiveness.Read Leviticus and you will see(it is not long and straightforward).

• I can tell you what I do

I am a Catholic ( stop throwing stuff at me) I can tell you that I guess they try to say that homosexuality is bad for whatever reason. I am in complete support of total equal rights for people who are gay or lesbian. The church tries to say that contraception is frowned upon and abortion is forbidden. Well I do not believe in abortion for personal reasons but that is a separate topic. The church also says that premarital sex is forbidden. Well obviously people are going to have sex and they are going to need contraception when they do. I completely support a couple's right to decide if they want to have sex and I think it is very important that they use contraception.

• Yes I do but its impossible not to.

Yes if everyone obeyed the bible we would kill each other and there would be no human race left on the earth. The bible is very violent, I cant tell you how many verses are in that condemn killing someone over something else. If people were to go exactly as those passages say at all times, I am not even sure what would be the result. The thing is you have to pick and choose, for instance the passages that say things along the lines of you should stone adulterers to death, well if you go to all of the bible then does that mean everyone seeking divorce because their spouses cheated and those cheating spouses should be stoned to death because the bible says so. Its all very twisted I honestly think we would kill each other.

• Some do Some don't

It really depends....There are about 2 Billion Christians world wide. I can't answer for every single one. I know that some Christians simply pick and choose. Others try to make certain sayings mean what they want. Others interpret the Bible to the best of their ability as a whole. Others follow an authoritative organization (e.G. Catholics) for the interpretation.
    I answer yes to the question however because I think that a good portion of Christians do go into the Bible with pre-conceived beliefs and use the Bible to fit their beliefs RATHER than actually using the Bible to form their beliefs. It all depends on the Christian I guess?

Posted by: Dmot
  • The answer is a resounding "yes".

But why stop there? Everyone picks and chooses what they support in the Bible and in every other book. So I'm afraid I don't get the gist of this opinion, or why it's controversial. If the thread is being instigated because some people are claiming that they believe "everything" in the Bible without any discernment, then, I suppose, you could start a thread that goes something like, "Are people who say they believe everything in the Bible (including that Pss 137 reflects a divine desire to kill babies) "nuts"? The answer to that question is...Oops, I guess that's as obvious as the original OP question.

Posted by: thg
  • It really depends

Christianity is a broad term with many different denominations that believe in different aspects of the bible. Some add or subtract information from it and others will pervert it's message for their own doctrine. I believe this shouldn't be done and the bible clearly says not to do this, however many use it out of context to prove a certain point.

• Some, at least.

I cannot speak for every Christian; but I know a lot that do. However, since the majority of Christians I know do; I'm saying yes. This doesn't mean that people do it consciously, but most (in my experience) do it on some level. It's normally from the Old Testament; that's another thing.

• Yes, I believe so.

If it wasn't true we wouldn't have made any mistakes because Bible itself it supposed to be perfect tool to save our humanity from evil. Most of believers are always educating themselves on a free will because no one in that field is certified to be a teacher. Mostly, it is taught by people who believe they are more intact with GOD than others which cannot be ever proved nor true. Only truth i seek is the effort of you trying to make a good out of this world and once your lifetime has passed and lived, then you may ask for a grade of your performance to GOD and see whether you fit into after life happiness or after life conflicts that are always going to stress you a lot.

• All Christians do it.

When I think of Christians who pick and choose, I firstly think of the obnoxious ones who are against gay marriage. The ones who love to bring up that single one Leviticus quote, but choose to ignore the other quotes. You know, eating shellfish, women in positions of authority, and cutting ones beard to name a few. Thing is though, after having this cross my mind it doesn't take me too long to also notice that even Christians who aren't obnoxious, petty, and childish pick and choose what they want from the bible. I doubt there is any Christians in our modern society (well, humane ones anyway) that don't ignore the quotes on women in positions of power, the sabbath, and slavery. So yes, Christians do pick and choose. All of them. And I'm not making any generalizations either, because the honest truth is it's simply unrealistic in our modern world to follow everything the bible says.

• Only the bad ones.

Only bad Christians do that. A good Christian doesn't have one foot in and one foot out, but both feet firmly placed in the Bible.. If you only agree with 'most' the bible and not all, than you are 'almost' a Christian or similar to a Christian, but not a true Christian.

• We do not!!

We don't choose what we support in the Bible at least people who are true Christians don't. The real Christians believe the Bible in all entirety. If you are talking about the old testament than we have a reason for abandoning that. Jesus came and we don't have to follow those old rules any more. We can cut our hair and and we can choose not to wash our hands before we eat.(although that's kind of gross) The new testament is our law now and we follow that.

• It's half and half

Personally, I follow all parts of the bible instead of the cookie cutter sugar coated passages. Those who don't follow every bit of it cannot consider themselves followers of the Bible. Yes, there are a few passages one would deem violent and cruel, but the Bible is riddled with metaphors and double meanings, along with the errors of human kind. By taking those errors and changing them for the better, we can advance towards a better future for all.

Posted by: O.Z
  • Yes with a healthy dose of NO!

Yes, manipulative, self-serving and often uneducated readers of the Word of God do have a propensity for picking and choosing what they support in the word of God. According to the Bible, the Devil himself knows the Scriptures. He attempted to manipulate Jesus in the wilderness by quoting certain scripture to convince Jesus to fall to vanity, greed, and power. Of course Jesus rebuked the Devil at each attempt. Like the devil, far be it, that human beings would be exempt from such wayward thinking as we are sinners from the start according to the Christian faith. Not every christian that does this picking and choosing is aware that they are doing so, and this is, because not all christians are well versed with a extended level of understanding of the Holy Scriptures. And yes there are those who are very knowledgeable of the Bible, that do attempt justify themselves falsely through selective use of the bible to achieve some kind of personal and often nefarious agenda, and the bible speaks out against such dishonest practices, and there is a price to pay for those who misuse the Word of God and/or attempt to mislead followers of Christ.

With all that being said, I must be clear that the question "Do Christians pick and choose what they support in the Bible?" is a sweeping generalization, that leaves no room for argument to beyond absolutism. It commands that you either believe Christians as a WHOLE are selective, dishonest, or manipulative readers or are not. This is a trap argument as it would be false to give an absolute yes or no, and thereby makes both positions equally refutable.

Before I end this, I want to provide the other end of my argument that not all christians are like the ones I mentioned above. There are a vast number of christians who are very knowledgeable and have a good understanding of the Word, and they dedicate their lives to obeying the Word as it pertains to their individual lives without distortion or selfish plots.

Those who are anti-religious or practice another religion that make sweeping generalization, and stereotypes about christians as a whole. Those who do this, do so with a lack of knowledge and a limited understanding of what constitutes as being a true and honest Christian. Fail to consider that even the most disciplined christian is not exempt from falling short , because most christian knows that all have fallen short of the glory of God. The difference, between a christian in name only and an actual follower of Christ is that a true follower of Christ will bare the fruits of the spirit, and unless you know what those fruits are, you can not know a true follower, but you will always know when one who simply carries the title of "so-called Christian".

• Do Christians “Pick and Choose” Which Bible Rules They Obey?

I (Tim Keller) find it frustrating when I read or hear columnists, pundits, or journalists dismiss Christians as inconsistent because “they pick and choose which of the rules in the Bible to obey.” What I hear most often is “Christians ignore lots of Old Testament texts—about not eating raw meat or pork or shellfish, not executing people for breaking the Sabbath, not wearing garments woven with two kinds of material and so on. Then they condemn homosexuality. Aren’t you just picking and choosing what they want to believe from the Bible?”

It is not that I expect everyone to have the capability of understanding that the whole Bible is about Jesus and God’s plan to redeem his people, but I vainly hope that one day someone will access their common sense (or at least talk to an informed theological advisor) before leveling the charge of inconsistency.

Read more on:

http://www.Rpmministries.Org/2012/07/do-christians-pick-and-choose-which-bible-rules-they-obey/

• The Bible: The Written Word of God.

Some thirty-eight hundred times the Bible declares, “God said,” or “Thus says the Lord” (e.G. Ex. 14:1; 20:1; Lev. 4:1; Num. 4:1; Deut. 4:2; 32:48; Isa. 1:10, 24; Jer. 1:11; Ezek. 1:3; etc.). Paul also recognized that the things he was writing were the Lord’s commandments (1 Cor. 14:37), and they were acknowledged as such by the believers (1 Thess. 2:13). Peter proclaimed the certainty of the Scriptures and the necessity of heeding the unalterable and certain Word of God (2 Pet. 1:16-21). John too recognized that his teaching was from God; to reject his teaching was to reject God (1 John 4:6).

• Everything must be within context

The Bible covers a wide history, and is 2 testaments in one. Within the Old Testament are four dispensations. Therefore the Bible must be looked at from a more analytic point. There are transitions to be aware of. Laymen often cite passages in the Bible without actually looking at the history and context of the passage.

AnonyFeline says2013-08-17T07:40:17.630
Especially those who espouse to believe in the teachings of Christ, yet do not follow them.