Do Christians really know how pagan Christmas is?

Asked by: Haxis288
  • Christmas or the date of December 25th?

I think about 50-70% of Christians realize that the Catholic Church, somewhere around 336, made December 25th the date for Christmas. We don't actually know what the date of Christ's birth was. These individuals also know that there is a Pagan holiday on that date. So, it made things easier for the church to convert Pagans to Christianity. They may also know that an Indo-European deity, considered the God of Light, is celebrated on that same date. Again, it made things easier for the church to convert people to Christianity. I am a Christian. Personally, I consider Christmas a religious holiday & I celebrate it as the birth of Christ. That reflects my religious teachings & upbringing. As an educated individual, I can see the choice of such a date -- despite its Pagan connections -- as a way to spread Christianity. The date has a lot of religious significance. Paganism was/is a religion, in its own right. Does the fact bother me? No. Why? We don't really know when Christ was born. The real irony would be if His actual date of birth was on, or near, the celebrated date. That would be pretty amazing.

Sometimes, I think of children born on 9/11. One on hand, their birth was a joyous occasion. On the other, their birthdays are marked with sad, somber reflection of tragedy every year. My godfather, who was born on December 7, suffered the same fate after Pearl Harbor. Dates are marked by many things. In my family, there are many birthdays & anniversaries that fall on dates that are more known for something else, i.E. Battles, attacks, holidays, etc. That doesn't change what the date means to me. Christians embrace Christmas, from the Christian perspective. So, for the vast majority, the Pagan roots that surround the date just don't matter. On 9/11, a lot of people celebrate birthdays and anniversaries. Yet, the latter will always be connected to a horrific terrorist attack by most people.

• I sure do!

I'm proud to call myself a follower of Jesus Christ and I don't celebrate what's known as Christmas. I understand the extremely pagan origin of Christmas and do not wish to participate. To be clear, I do celebrate the birth of my savior but I don't think that celebrating "Christmas" is necessary for Christians.
    I think the following web page sums it all up nicely- http://www.Simpletoremember.Com/vitals/Christmas_TheRealStory.Htm

• New Symbolism has been given to nearly every object concerning Christmas

In order for anyone, let alone Christians to know the true meaning of Christmas, they would need to know the truth about the pagan holiday that it over shadows. The most prominent celebration is Saturnalia which include the symbolism of the ornamented tree, presents, mistletoe and Santa Clause. Christians would also have to know the celebration practices of Yuletide, the winter solstice, and Dwali. Most Christians believe Christmas to be the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. The phrase Christmas meaning Christ's Death was first recorded in 1038, but the celebration practices began long before Jesus was even born. The only remembrance of Christ presented by the bible is communion. All other practices are not sanctioned and considered idolistic in worshiping him. Http://www.Simpletoremember.Com/vitals/Christmas_TheRealStory.Htm

• No most don't.

Many Christians are in denial about how pagan Christmas is. They do not want to address the truth and just act like it does not exist. Many Christians do not focus much on a Christmas tree and presents. Instead they only focus on going to church and Jesus. This is how they can pretend that Christmas is not a pagan holiday.