Do conspiracy theorists belong in a nuthouse?

Asked by: Adam2
  • Well we have to do something.

Being from North Idaho, I have seen my fair share of conspiracy theorists and paranoid idiots. Quite honestly, they get on my nerves and they sound like babbling fools. Also, being a high school student, the conspiracies get more far-fetched by the minute. The only people that believe the conspiracies are stupid people seeking to be the one who knows more gossip than the next. They feel like they are elite because they "know" about that secret thing that the government or the illuminati or whoever else is doing. But in reality, they have no proof or any relevant evidence that has anything to do with whatever crap they are coming up with. To all conspiracy theorists across the world: shut up because nobody cares, and the only people that will believe you are teenagers and people who never leave their basements and wear tinfoil hats. I believe that conspiracy theorist belong in a nut house simply because who else is a nut house meant for? Crazy people? Well then what do you consider a conspiracy theorist?

• The things they say are so stupid

It's hilarious. Goddamn conspiracy theories find conspiracies in everything. In the floor, in the food, in the water. Everything. There are few conspiracy theories that are true, maybe .1 percent of them. The rest of them are all stupid. That's why they belong in a nuthouse. Stupid, stupid, stupid people.

• They're not mad

I think that conspiracy theorists are stupid and talk a lot of nonsense. However, I don't think that they belong in a nuthouse because I doubt they actually believe the things that they say. I think that it brings them joy to play on the fears and believes of gullible people and make a heaps of money along the way.
    They belong in jail, not the nuthouse.

Posted by: Muz
  • Unfortunately the term has been hijacked.

While a "conspiracy" may indeed be very real and possible, it no longer encompasses those who seek to bring light to any misdeeds or those of potential.

Unfortunately, the whistle-blowers and watchdogs of our world have been largely crowded out of this arena, being replaced by those with fantastic minds better suited to write fiction.

These people prey on the fear of the unknown, and the ignorance of the general population as to how systems foreign to them truly operate. Whether they truly believe what they spout, or if the simply megaphone what they do for marketing purposes isn't always immediately apparent.

Either way, they do more harm than good to nurture critical thinking skills, and cloud the true conspiracies with misdirection and semantics, all the while truly terrible crimes are expedited upon our society and our world without contest while we bicker on the sidelines about the minor irrelevancies of how a man was shot or the direction a building collapsed.

I only agree with the "yes" side conditionally. I do not believe that someone should be shut up by tearing them away from society and keeping them locked up.

But I would consider the mental health of some of the most radical of these groups, and the danger they may pose if placed into positions of authority.

• News flash Adam:

Conspiracies exist. And while some may not be grounded in reality and are perhaps irrational, nevertheless a lot, many would agree are. How do you know only 1% of the conspiracy theories you hear are real? Have you investigated every single one of these theories comprehensively and objectively and reached your own free-minded conclusion? Or is that just an arbitrary decision on your part? One might expect to find your attitude in a medieval priest engaged in a witch-hunt, or in a small-minded politician seeking the downfall of his opponents by accusing them of vile chicanery. Whenever I hear someone call someone else a 'conspiracy theorist’ I always inwardly groan as it's often used thoughtlessly as a way to simply shut down debate. The term 'conspiracy theorist' is usually used in a derogatory sense to imply that people are crazy and not worthy of consideration. But the fact is conspiracy theories exist and I would rather get me news from Alex Jones than the patently-disingenuous, corporate-controlled mainstream media.

• That's what they want

That's what they want you to believe; that we are crazy. Consider this: people who become aware of the conspiracies that surround us tend to withdraw themselves from society, from fear of bigots such your selves. The N.H.K. Is watching. They want you to make those who realize the truth either look crazy or actually become crazy. That's what the N.H.K. Does; it creates a society of withdrawn people.

• Obviously not, no.

There are a basis of truth on most things - I would imagine that there are indeed some preposterous conspiracies in circulation currently but nevertheless it all stems from some basis of truth.

Classing the people behind some theories as insane is basically proving the point that the so-called "man" is just censoring their beliefs and in turning fueling more conspiracies.

That is my theory, hilariously.

• The term "conspiracy theorist" is just political delegitimisation.

Originally a neutral term, "conspiracy theorist" has been automatically associated with people who believe in Roswell UFO's, vaccine cause autism, or the snow is fake. It is a very biased and subjective term that is blatantly used as an ad hominem attack to dismiss and discredit someone who holds radical or unpopular views as "paranoid" "crazy" and stupid. The word conspiracy is just as bad as cult nowadays.
    So when the government (because that is the only entity with the power) starts throwing people in nuthouse (political prisons) who will it be? Who is actually a conspiracy theorists? How can you objectively unbiasly decide who gets kidnapped and thrown in a cage and based on what criteria?

• Totalitarian Dystopic State.

While the driving forces behind conspiracy theories and how productive they actually are would definitely be up for debate, the idea that you could be thrown in an asylum for having a theory could easily lead to fascism so no. If the theory actually took over your reality and you started seeing agents hiding in the shadows then yes maybe.

Getting someone committed takes an awful lot and rightly so. If people were institutionalized on the grounds of what they believed in then where would it end? Politically something like this could be really dangerous. People who don't believe in the truths, gods and ideologies of the powers that be getting committed would leave us on a scary path towards totalitarianism.

• They're not mad

They belong in jail, not the nuthouse.

Posted by: Muz

BblackkBbirdd says2014-04-28T18:29:51.507
Some conspiracy theories have actually been correct, they're not all totally *beeeeeeeeping* insane.