Do corporations do more harm to society than good?

• A nuanced answer to why corporations do good in our society.

Reading the answers on this debate, I couldn't help but to notice there were two kind of people giving answers. On one side, people who support corporations are eloquent & effective in the way they word their response. On the other side, people who think corporations are bad or 'evil', have very poor writing skills. This indicates that the position you hold on corporations and your level of education are strongly related. Most people with a low level of education think corporations are bad and most people with a high level of education think corporations benefit to society. Personally, I believe that in order to state an answer that can contribute to our society, you must first educate yourself to get the tools to do this. In other words, as most of our population is poorly educated, the answers are biased on personal experienced.
    -Olivier Chartrand

-Olivier Chartrand

• Corporations have ruined the american economy

NTSEEG
    POLLS

Xa
    sau npe nkag mus
    cuv npe

Tsev tshaj tswvyim > Economics > corporations ua tsim kev mob ntau kom lub neej zoo dua cov?
    Ntxiv ib lub npe tshiab

Corporations ua tsim kev mob ntau kom lub neej zoo dua?
    Ntxiv ib lub npe tshiab
    Ntxiv rau kuv Favorites
    Debate no npe
    Qhia cov npe no

44% hais tias Yexus
    56% hais tias tsis tau.
    Ther tsis muaj tus deba te kev tau txais ib tug tsis tha nws fijne tsis txhob txhawj coproaaaaaaaattiioinjs yeej phem thiab lim hiam ua haujlwm ive forr 7 corporations sa thiab tias ua tus phem edxprienc lawv tua ib tug dev.
    Kuv txom nyem, tsis aub.
    C rever rau u lub neej haus ib doogs tib tau zoo kawg li mam mah fru. Kuv debat rau nws 4 com som reloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Tsev xa ntawv ceeb toom
    Zoo li Reply00
    Ntaug ntaug ntxais koj, koj tsis nco qab lub hnub qub trek tshiab ntsia, ib sab twg lub jeep cameos qhib pem 867 hauj lwm uas ua tau lub hauv khej. Peb yuav tau ua txoj hauj lwm tshaj cov hauj lwm hauj lwm corporations corporations. Kua ua hauj lwm vim de txiv apples NW nyuam qhuav yuav them rau injustice tias yog vim li cas cov phem thiab txaj muag tau hnav li chewbacca ua hauj lwm 2
    Lo rau ntawm: aftermath420vsGODZIRRA tsev xa ntawv ceeb toom
    Zoo li teb Challenge20
    Kuv xav hais tias Yexus, tiam sis yeej paub tias yuav ua li cas? Daim phiaj yuav yog ib qho neeg kev zoo losis phem, hauv siv thaum lub sij hawm pib. Fais fab feem ntau yuav tsub kom commensurate nrog kev loj hlob ntawm ib lub li luaj li cas thiab lub teeb tus nqi. Hwjchim thiab nyog txias nyiaj ruthless cav tov ces tuag thiab ua puas tsuaj nyob hauv lawv cov sib koom hauv txoj kev vam meej ntawm cov lag thiab txhua hom kev zoo thiab kev phem nrab. Mus stereotype corporations ces kev cais neeg neeg txawv tsis yog.
    Lo rau ntawm: titanium1982 tsev xa ntawv ceeb toom
    Zoo li teb Challenge00
    Kuv txom nyem, tsis aub.
    Lo rau ntawm: hhhhhhhelplp tsev xa ntawv ceeb toom
    Zoo li teb Challenge00
    Tom qab 5/2/0 lej thiab gAdzilka vs fk thiab tsis muaj sij hawm thiab tuaj: tom qab uas nws xav tias nws yuav tsis oki tab sis thaum juhpan tau ib Corp ruaj ntseg, thiab mus ua teb. Yog nws qhia tias, inaudible. Evr nws yuav tau? Nemxt cunsid
    Zoo li Reply00 muag tswg hauv lub profits ua

• I need help

FORUMS
    POLLS

Submit
    Sign In
    Sign Up

Home > Opinions > Economics > Do corporations do more harm to society than good?
    Add a New Topic

Add a New Topic
    Add to My Favorites
    Debate This Topic
    Report This Topic

44% Say Yes
    56% Say No
    Ther no deba te Ya got a no tha its fijne dont worry coproaaaaaaaattiioinjs are mean and cruel ive worked forr 7 corporations sa and that as a bad edxprienc they kill dog.
    My poor, poor dog.
    I rever to life o drink a doogs ta get awa fru mah sad. I debat on her four som com reloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Report Post
    Like Reply00
    Aftermath you suck Aftermath, you forgot star trek new movie, The part where the jeep cameos opened up 867 jobs making tires in india. We need make more job corporations jobs corporations jobs. Apple makes jobs because pick apples pays low injustice for all that is why its bad and shame also dress as chewbacca make job 2
    Posted by: aftermath420vsGODZIRRA Report Post
    Like Reply Challenge20
    I think yes, but how to really know? Greed is a general human trait, in practice since time began. Power generally increases commensurate with growth of a corporation's size and monetary value. Power and money go together to create conditions (creation of favorable laws etc.) where greedy actions can be accomplished. [This doesn't directly relate, but I have never understood in a country supposedly creople and people are self interested. Your relationship with corporations is always a mutually beneficial one except in perhaps fascism(merging of corporate and state power).
    Report Post
    Like Reply01
    Corporations are people too Corporations are legally people and behave as such. Some are cold ruthless profit machines leaving death and destruction in their wake. Others are caring and compassionate members of society sharing the prosperity of their ventures and every brand of good and evil in between. To stereotype corporations is no different then stereotyping people.
    Posted by: titanium1982 Report Post
    Like Reply Challenge00
    My poor, poor dog.
    Posted by: hhhhhhhelplp Report Post
    Like Reply Challenge00
    After math 5/2/0 and gAdzilka vs and fk in no And time to come: whom after it does not oki but when juhpan get bom, Corp farm and to. If it show, yes. Evr can it be? Nemxt cunsidre that jurge boyish maybe did. If not then ahlso okay? Yes. This memes that potenchuly that if prezidintt it cūd make a long leans I beef. Sou gud if you make that a corpses farm? I think maybe so ok','
    Report Post
    Like Reply00 sale stakes in the profits to be made

• Ther no deba te

Ya got a no tha its fijne dont worry coproaaaaaaaattiioinjs are mean and cruel ive worked forr 7 corporations sa and that as a bad edxprienc they kill dog.
    My poor, poor dog.

• Aftermath you suck

Aftermath, you forgot star trek new movie, The part where the jeep cameos opened up 867 jobs making tires in india. We need make more job corporations jobs corporations jobs. Apple makes jobs because pick apples pays low injustice for all that is why its bad and shame also dress as chewbacca make job 2

• I think yes, but how to really know?

Greed is a general human trait, in practice since time began. Power generally increases commensurate with growth of a corporation's size and monetary value. Power and money go together to create conditions (creation of favorable laws etc.) where greedy actions can be accomplished. [This doesn't directly relate, but I have never understood in a country supposedly created "by and for the people" why 5% of the people have 95% of the money.] Most people seem unaware that the founding fathers of the USA were very much aware of the dangers of corporations and limited their lifespan. To put it another way, corporations were allowed for a specific project; once completed the corporation was disbanded. They were never intended to exist in perpetuity. As others have mentioned, corporations exist solely to make money and a lot of people feel they have no responsibility to contribute to society. Although they of course, take everything society has to offer - roads, schools, military defense, lobbying for every possible tax break. It is hard to know if corporations do good/charity for public relations or because they have good motives. Probably both since few things in life are 100% one way or the other. With all the privacy laws and such, I don't know if there is ever a way to truly know for sure whether corporations do more harm than good. And obviously that answer is not even clear since definitions of harm and good are variable. But to go back to the beginning of my statements here, greed and power almost guarantee that they do more harm than good by any measure.

• Yes but they don't think so

Corporations are groups of people making decisions which doesn't bold well for an individual leader to come forth with a vision on how to run the company because everyone has to be on the same page.

Other times companies will start off with a leader that has a vision such as Nintendo or Sony but wind up falling apart when the big rich bankers get their hands on it when they decide to get loans to expand their enterprise.

In fact corporations view personal projects on a *reward/risk* based scenario unlike a leader with a vision and love out of their heart for that project.

For example the entertainment industry such as big Game Corporations eg: Sony/Nintendo/EA Origin/Steam.Etc are part of the *group* think where someone might have an unique idea but it has to fit within the group framwork or the ideal will be pulled immediately.

That is likely why the GameCube changed names from The Dolphin which was looked at as more serious at first when the next system after the N64 was first announced but no demos yet.

In fact the GameCube emulator you can find online is called *Dolphin* based on the original code name which does both Cube and Wii roms since the Wii's infrastructure is based on the GameCube.

Same with XBox and Xbox 360 they come out with great ideas in the beginning to stand out from everyone else but eventually corporate rule will decide what decisions make it to reality and which ones are too *risky* for their system so to play it safe they copy each other hoping to make their version of the product *better* since it's safer then coming up with an entirely new concept they could lose millions.

Instead of outright punishing big evil corporations we need to think like they do and get them to feel rewarded for doing what's right and morale for humanity since they won't know they are doing what's right and moral while they are doing it. They will see it simply as return profit while we benefit from the education campaigns that the government produces to educate people.

• They say they help, but at what expense?

Corporations just dominate the market, make people dependent and then screw us over. Just as easily as the Corpies give, they can take away. And they rule on fear, while providing us with junk and try to withhold from the people if they dont do as they are told. They have destroyed our whole society, with half the people being overworked doing meaningless jobs, or the rest unemployed. They are a disgrace to america, and must be destroyed.

• Corporations are the new legal order.

There are countless legal cases where corporations have paid compensations to governments, institutions to clear off criminal offenses. Unlike individuals, criminal law punishes citizens for wrongdoings that corporations have also attempted. Just because corporations have more economic power and political ties, it doesn't mean corporations can not be punished. I wonder if creating a corporation would make me a better citizen because i can break the law and still pay off some good judges.

• Suck in suck

Yes maybe if a cor of farm and no. But then it wasnt. After it sometime somone make to much money if. And yes. ThEN if not people dont make none and some if they do. But mostly not becuz not as much is made okay, yes sometimes it make.

• Corporations provide value

Corporations are good since they provide things and services that people want. Some people think that corporations act in self interest and not for the good of the people, but corporations are just like people and people are self interested. Your relationship with corporations is always a mutually beneficial one except in perhaps fascism(merging of corporate and state power).

• Corporations are people too

Corporations are legally people and behave as such. Some are cold ruthless profit machines leaving death and destruction in their wake. Others are caring and compassionate members of society sharing the prosperity of their ventures and every brand of good and evil in between. To stereotype corporations is no different then stereotyping people.

• Everything we touch comes from a corporation

I am not denying that corporate greed exists, however, it is obvious that they have bettered the world. Nearly every single item we touch throughout the day is provided by corporations. Bath robes, soap, shampoo, makeup, shoes clothing, underclothing, water, juice, coffee, beer, food, computers, phones, cars, printers, bicycles.... Without corporations we would be living in the same state as our ancestors - a standard of living that we would consider abject poverty by modern standards.

I wouldn't argue that all corporations create good, however, its abundantly obvious that many do.

• Ther no deba te

My poor, poor dog.

• After math 5/2/0 and gAdzilka vs and fk in no

And time to come: whom after it does not oki but when juhpan get bom, Corp farm and to. If it show, yes. Evr can it be? Nemxt cunsidre that jurge boyish maybe did. If not then ahlso okay? Yes. This memes that potenchuly that if prezidintt it cūd make a long leans I beef. Sou gud if you make that a corpses farm? I think maybe so ok','

• Monopolies yes...Corporations no.

I think part of the culture that is anti-corporation is centered around the giant ones. Those ideally if they are that large become monopolies, unfortunately the powers that be tend to not prosecute or otherwise put the watch dogs into place to prevent this. Corporates in general are not bad and do far more good then bad when you take into account that the reason for a corporation is to separate oneself legally from their business, most corporations are incorporated small businesses and small business is always good for a community. Its when a giant starts to stamp those out that we have issues, buy something from a local store if you have issue with the big guys. Personally I end up doing both, for quality vegetables I go to the local grocer and they are usually competitive price. For other items like coffee I tend to go to larger stores because I am froogle. Corporations exist so say someone who had a great idea wants to start a business around, legally separates himself from the business and then can sale stakes in the profits to be made so he create prototypes or buy supplies etc. So the vast majority of corporations are not evil, it is the large ones that technically are not legal as they are for all practical purposes are the issue. Go after the Apples and Walmarts if you want but leave the other smaller corporations out of it.

• Big corporations have proved over and over that bigger is not better.

Look at any industry that has corporations from agriculture, medical to just about anything you can think of. When they get too big (which is always the plan to rake in profits) it is at the expense of quality, our environment and the health of the general population. Science doesn't beat nature. Science came after nature. ; )

• Not all apples in the bunch are rotten

I truly believe that if it were not for corporations we would not have the advances in goods and services we have today. Are there some corporations that exploit the system and do harm to society, I can attest to that. As a whole I think that corporations do good for society.