• Detention is better than suspension

The absolute worst punishment you can give a kid is an out-of-of school suspension. For a lot of kids I went to school with, this was a reward.

An in-school detention, on the other hand, was something that really worked as a punishment. Being forced to sit in detention was an actual punishment that kids went out of their way to avoid. Maybe it's not a perfect way to improve behavior, but it did have at least some benefit.

• Detention will help better than other punishments, like suspension and expelling kids.

Detention does not take their time from doing schoolwork, which the others do, so why would they punish them by doing what the kids like: missing school. All kids like missing school and playing on their X-box, PlayStation, or Wii.Suspending and Expelling students do not help them get their work done or do anything productive.

• Go on with Dt's

Detention is after all only a minor punishment for students. But Dt works. The student learns.
    They stop being a pain They start behaving. Even if it takes 5 Dts. Schools with no Dt system have more behavior problems than those with Dt systems.
    Dts help of course
    Its only bad students that will get suspended.
    Keep detentions. Introduce them as a must in primary schools

Posted by: dcn
  • No they dont

The reason it dosent is because they never learn their lesson and keep getting it. They should be punished by cleaning the bathrooms at the school.All they do is stare at a wall in detetion. They should do community survice our clean the gum of the desk. Thank you. Bye!

• No they dont.

I do not think detentions work at all during school. As someone who has experienced detention, I would just get annoyed with the teacher who assigned it to me and would want to act out even more in class because I was irritated. Students do not take it seriously and do not change their behavior.

• Detention Do NOT help a student

According to what my friend said, student that got detention sits there and do nothing, in high school, also accord what my older sister has said, their detention in my older sister's school, they did nothing, either people are using their phone, doing their homework. I believe that this is basically what they do in their house. Let's say this, do you think it will help a student with their behavior when they sit in a room, using their phone, and with a bunch of same age teenagers in a room? I strongly believe that 90% of people would say no, am I right?

• Detention does not help because students like to take time to themselves.

Students just sit there and do nothing. Do you all think that letting a child sit and have time to themselves will help? Children like getting time away from their family, so to them it is a vacation. As a student I know that I want to take time to myself.

• Not helpful for parents

THEY MIGHT HAVE A REALLY HARD WORKING FAMILY WHO AT THE END OF THE DAY WANTS TO STAY WITH THEIR CHILDREN BUT THERE WOULD BE NO ONE TO SPEND TIME WITH. They should at least have a punishment in school like missing a week of recess or their favorite subject but a punishment after school is not good.The kid still deserves a break even if he was bad, he/she still learned the whole day so they at least deserve free time with their family. They might even live very far away. I live about 40-30 min away and i always get carsick, ask my carpoolers.

• Detention is Not Helpful AT ALL

In detention all kids do is stare at the wall, the window, their nails, the desk or the floor. Some sleep and others just do nothing. Isn't detention supposed to be a time to reflect on what you've done? But all I see are kids who are bored out of their minds. Detention just annoys the kids and makes them revengeful. It doesn't help the kids at all and wastes everybody's time.