Do drug laws create more problems than drug addictions?

• It really does

I don't have time to create an argument, but I wanted to vote!

• Drug laws cause more problems than drug addiction.

Yes, I do believe that drug laws create more problems than drug addictions. Drug laws are extremely expensive to enforce. They keep our police officers from more pressing duties, they tie up our court system with trials for minor drug offenses, and they fill up our prisons with inmates who have done nothing more than take or peddle drugs.

We wouldd be better off treating drugs like we do alcohol or cigarettes and trying to help those who are abusing them. That would be a far more cost effective use of our time and resources.

• Drug Laws Make Drug Addiction Worse

When it's illegal people have to buy them from criminals and keep it secret from most people they know. Since they can't talk about it openly and only talk about it with other users and with dealers they are only exposed to positive social messages about their drug use and are unlikely to get much feedback telling them to "moderate" use and unlikely to notice if they develop an addiction. If drugs were legal people could be more open about these things and would be more likely to run into social messages telling them they are using too much or that it's become a problem.

• Yes, they do.

Drug laws make drug use a criminal offense, and it makes it harder for people who need substance abuse or addiction treatment to seek that treatment. Nobody wants to come forward and admit to criminal activity! We should focus less on punishing drug use, and focus more on making sure that people struggling addiction have access to the help they need without the threat of a conviction looming over them.

• No They Don't

Drug laws create its fair share of problems, but they are nothing compared to drug addictions. Drug Addiction can ruin lives and families. Laws are a matter of disagreeing, while addiction is a much more serious problem. I do not think these things are comparable to be honest with you.